Benelli Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My TnT has developed a shudder in the front end under brakes below 20kmh

It only appears to do it under heavy braking but it's hard to reproduce. I checked for play in the steering head and for any loose bolts but everything appears to be ok.

Any clues/suggestions?

Cheers!

Mike

·
Registered
73 Posts
Both my disks were replaced under warranty due to the shudder I had at high speed braking and hopping sensation at low speed braking. Check the runout with a micrometer. Madwog also had one replaced for the same reason.
Cheers Mike.

·
3,085 Posts
scalloped front tire

I thought I had everything the guyd mentioned above, nope, badly scalloped front tire from not running it at 36psi!

·
I'm firing on three
611 Posts
warped discs will cause the problem you are experiencing, however remember the discs are supposed to have about 0.4mm of “wobble” to ensure the pads are released, while checking the bike do one other thing…………
Take the handle bars off and then look at the large aluminium nut that holds the top triple on I bet its very loose, before you tighten it remember to loosen off the cap head socket bolts that clamp the fork legs to the top triple (don’t loosen the bottom ones), tighten the centre nut then retighten the 2 socket bolts
I have posted on this problem earlier this year.

Terry

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I checked the top nut, it's tight. I'm not getting any knocking over kerbs or bumps either which happened last time the top nut came loose.

The discs appear to have a max run out of around 4 thou which seems pretty good to me but it's hard to measure them accurately in situ because of the disc mounting system.

Looks like another warranty job!

Mike

·
I'm firing on three
611 Posts
Mike I had a 1200 Bandit that had bad front juddering, after striping and measuring nearly everthing it turned out to be the disc thickness..... when I used a micrometer to measure the disc thickness it varied by about 6 thou, Suzuki changed them under warranty and said "they had never seen a disc go like that"...........how many times have I heard that expression
Its a long shot but might be worth a look.
Terry

·
Registered
209 Posts
Used to have the same problem on my old Prila. Went through a set of disks every 4,000ks or so. After the third set I changed the sintered pads to some slightly lighter ones that didn't put as much heat into the disks and therefore stopped warping them. Got 30,000 out of the last set before I sold the bike.

Should be a warranty job.

ciao
Derek

·
Registered
123 Posts
A throrough cleaning job might be a good idea, along with checking the movement of the brake pistons, too. See if all the pistons come out properly when you pump the brake, then use an air compressor to blow air into the brake calipers and the rings that hold the brake disc, clean all the rings with plenty of brake cleaner fluid, yank and twist the disc a bit to see if any of the rings are stuck, then ride a bit, brake a bit, and do the cleaning part once more. Do that a couple of times, and the stiffened pistons and rings should loosen up a bit.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
When I jacked it up I thought I could feel a little notch in the steering head bearings when the bars were turned off center so there may be a bit of play from buggered balls in there.

Anyway, I dropped it off at the service center today so we'll see :(

Mike

PS - Drekka, noticed your CR is in the shop again, what gives?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts