Benelli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced my plugs and pulled the air snorkle out on my TNT and my bike traveled an extra 30 miles on the same amount of gas. That brings my total up to 112 miles on 3.0 gallons. So about 37USMPG and it was soooo smooth and nice. I just have a few more changes to make and it'll be dandy.

·
Registered
209 Posts
As near as I can tell from some online converters thats 180.2kms and 11.3L of gas. Or about 15.94kms per Liter.

At it's best, my CR has only managed to do 9.33kms per Liter so I'd be very interested in the details of what you did and why so that I can continue to hassle my mechanics about the piss poor fuel economy.

:D
Derek

P.S. I just worked out that on an average tank fill of 15L, thats basically 240kms range. The best I've achieved is 140.

·
Cafe Racer member
676 Posts
I replaced my plugs and pulled the air snorkle out on my TNT and my bike traveled an extra 30 miles on the same amount of gas. That brings my total up to 112 miles on 3.0 gallons. So about 37USMPG and it was soooo smooth and nice. I just have a few more changes to make and it'll be dandy.
Have you had it re mapped? What exhaust are you running?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Drekka

On a motorway run (~90mph/145kmh), I get around 45mpg (UK). This works out at 15.8km/l. It drops to about 36mpg on a mixed town/motorway journey to work but that's still 12.5km/l

At the time, I had a standard map, air filter and still had the exhaust & airbox flaps in. Its still about the same after a remap and taking the flaps out

9.3km/l Does sound pretty poor

Chris

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had the map changed, but only the "economy" map, which is crap because the bike is so rich that it bogs down completely from 1600rpm to 4000rpm. it's unridable in economy mode.
So, TNT mode is still factory and the bike GOES like crazy..
I eliminated the flaps and the tube that runs to the intake. I plan to do a little more modding to the intake as well. I have stock exhaust, but no exup and no cat in the bike. The plugs are the NGK Iridium. I think its CR9EI or something to that effect. 3521 should be the number you can find on Ebay. They were arourd $7.00US each, normal plugs are about $1.32US each, but they seem to be worth it. The power seems to come on immediately and the bike isn't nearly as noisey either. I'm still running rich from what I can "smell". I think that'll be fixed once I get the rest of the Air Box mods done.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Drekka

On a motorway run (~90mph/145kmh), I get around 45mpg (UK). This works out at 15.8km/l. It drops to about 36mpg on a mixed town/motorway journey to work but that's still 12.5km/l

At the time, I had a standard map, air filter and still had the exhaust & airbox flaps in. Its still about the same after a remap and taking the flaps out

9.3km/l Does sound pretty poor

Chris
yeup, I've had many talks with the mechanic about this. Especially as that's the best I have achieved and only for two months. Typically its been getting between 7 and 8kms per Liter or around 120kms on a 15L tank fill.

Every time I discuss this with the mechanics they dismiss the forums claims saying that a lot of things get said on forums that are not true. The impression I get is that the other TnTs they work on are not much better than mine, so a forum claim (no offense MightyMouse) of 240kms they view with suspicion.

As a side note I was reading the brochure for the new BMW HP2 Sport last night and the tech specs quote a typical usage of 5L or so for 100kms at 120kms/h. That will be best expected whilst riding a freeway of course. So given that it has the same size tank as the TnT, it will do twice the range.

ciao
Derek

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeup, I've had many talks with the mechanic about this. Especially as that's the best I have achieved and only for two months. Typically its been getting between 7 and 8kms per Liter or around 120kms on a 15L tank fill.

Every time I discuss this with the mechanics they dismiss the forums claims saying that a lot of things get said on forums that are not true. The impression I get is that the other TnTs they work on are not much better than mine, so a forum claim (no offense MightyMouse) of 240kms they view with suspicion.

As a side note I was reading the brochure for the new BMW HP2 Sport last night and the tech specs quote a typical usage of 5L or so for 100kms at 120kms/h. That will be best expected whilst riding a freeway of course. So given that it has the same size tank as the TnT, it will do twice the range.

ciao
Derek
Bare in mind my bike got this mileage doing lower speeds of about 50MPH (about 82kph) with occasional stops.
I'm going to fill my tank tonight, since Gas is down to about $2.99 a gallon for regular (prem is probably $3.20) and I've gone about 80Miles and have 4 bars showing.. So I'm guessing after ragging the bike out a lot yesterday I'm getting about 30-35MPG.. I'll let you know after I fill up.

·
Registered
209 Posts
...and I've gone about 80Miles and have 4 bars showing..
Thats the difference, 80 miles = 128 kilometers. For me that a empty tank. My guess is that 4 bars equals rounghly 4 to 5 litres.

ciao
Derek

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thats the difference, 80 miles = 128 kilometers. For me that a empty tank. My guess is that 4 bars equals rounghly 4 to 5 litres.

ciao
Derek
Not sure.. I have one bar left and have gone 110 miles so far. Once the last bar is gone I'll have used 3.0 US Gallons, I think. I will find out when I fill up. I didn't have time to do it today, so when I leave work tonight I'll take care of it...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Mapping and economy (or lack of it) seems to be another of those Benelli bugbears. I was getting around 190km when I bought the bike but due to some tuning and running issues Im back to around 140. Its has ALWAYS run vey rich, fouling the occasional plug and occasionally forcing evacuation when its started in a garage (or workshop).
Im hoping the 'warranty fix pack - see other thread' will address some of this and get me back close to 190km.

Just out of interest how accurate do the rest of you find the fuel gauge? Mine is disgraceful at best; reads 3/4 when full then increases to full as fuel is used then drops to around 1/2. By the time I get to 1/4 its reading close on empty (1dot).

·
Registered
209 Posts
Used to be fine when it was new. Then about 6 months in it went nuts. Now shows between 2/3 and 3/4 tank when full. Jumps around all over the place. Doesn't become accurate again until 4 bars which seems to equate to 4L of fuel. Once there, it becomes steady again until empty.

P.S. I'm claiming the crown for worst economy: 15L/100kms or 100kms a tank, best economy is 9.3L/100kms or 140kms per tank. Beat that !

·
349 Posts
I ride mine fairly hard all the time and never get more than 25mpg.:bawl:
The wifes 325 BMW does better.Zebo.

·
5,928 Posts
You guys running injector cleaner through your tanks every 5,000 km or so?
If they're partially blocked, or a solenoid valve isn't sealing, economy will suffer.

·
Registered
209 Posts
He he thats funny ;)

I've only done 8,000ks total. Normally by now I would have done between 20,000 and 30,000ks. It's had poor economy since brand new. The mechanics have been over the bike numerous times and never found anything that can be identified as the source of the poor economy.

I would guess that as a general rule you would expect any given bike to get around +/-10-20% economy. So for example if we use the economy of the Tornado Tre 1130 as specified in a recent review as being 7.5L/100kms. I would expect between 6 and 9L/100kms. Getting 15L/100kms as mine does regularly is a +100% difference!

I can understand variations, but I find it hard to understand how two bikes with the same engine (and presumably similar mappings) could have one using twice the fuel of the other without something seriously being wrong. That's what pisses me off so much.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

·
5,928 Posts
You could fix it with an AFR Tuner, which worked wonders for my 900. Have a look in the Tornado thread
She used to be on vapour at 190-200km around town, but now I'm looking at 210-220, maybe more (I'm due for a fill tomorrow, so I'll do the calcs)
On the open road at a sedate 100-110kph, 333 km on a tank - up by at least 80 km. Not bad in my book, and no significant loss of power.

·
Cafe Racer member
676 Posts
Well I finally took a longer ride with my new mods with BenelliDaves Mapping.
120 miles on 3.6 USgallons. That is 33 miles to the Gallon. Pace was fast and hard. Friend has a triumph speed triple and he got 3.4 gallons over the same distance. I rode harder though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Paul, which map are you running. I was notified last Fri. that my Tune Boy was shipped and I would like to try his map when it comes in. I have a 2007 CR will it work with a stock 07 ?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts