Benelli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am still waiting for my upgraded external fans for my old shed.how many people have had the externally mounted fans fitted and did it help at all?
after a high speed blast last week my tnt just cut out at about 140mph and then would not start again for 15 mins.
it then rode home fine.
my mates didnt even stop to see if we were ok.
they later said they thought the girlfriend had tapped me up to stop!.
zebo

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Zebo,the external fan mod cools the bike a lot more, I did the conversion myself all they supply in the kit is the outer shields and some screws you have to cannibalise the existing fans mount them into the new shields change the pins round on the plug ( to reverse the fan rotation) and make a 6mm hole in your rads making sure you don’t cut through a core, took about 1hr to do both sides you must then have the new map installed as this changes when the fans come on and stop
I did have overheating during my recent french trip but only because we were sitting at toll booths for to long, as soon as we were moving the temp dropped.
vtxbrit

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
zebo, did it fail due to overheating, or something else?

Don't suppose you were at high revs when it cut out? I guess at 140mph you would have been. If the tip over switch decided to vibrate & connect, that would stop you. If that was so, and you left it switched on, I believe that it takes many minutes for the ECU to reset, and allow it to start.

Just a thought. I'm assuming that the TNT has a similar electrical system to the Tornado.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Zebo, trying to find out some info concerning overheating .......... but most bikes with an ECU have a "high alarm" setting when over heating this means the engine is switched off when it reaches alarm temp (the Kawa Z1000 cuts out at 105deg c) I don’t know if the Benelli is the same? My temp needle reached about 2mm below the red recently and didn’t cut out if yours went into the red then the above could be the reason soon as I find out I will let you know
vtxbrit

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
over heating

I've seen Tornado's & TnT's that have gone off the scale temp wise and they never stopped, not sure what the problem could be, I'll think about it for a bit..... Hmmmm (thinking) ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
overheating

When you say that it wouldn't start, do you mean the typical hot-start problem where it wouldn't turn the engine over until it cooled a little?

Can't imagine why it died, could you have accidentally bumped the kill-switch?

Go for another 140 mph blast and see if it does it again.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
overheating

At my last race meeting, it was a 12 degree C day, I had to completely tape up one of the radiators to get the bike up to temp.

I cannot move my fans to the outside of the radiators because I have moved my side covers down so the Tornado clip-ons will clear them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: overheating

Hi johnny 0, if youve seen very high over temps on TNT's then that must mean there is no "high alarm" in the ECU thanks saves me researching:) as you have already stated we need to know if it stalled and wouldn't start or just plain came to a grinding holt.
as a side issue my ECU man has had a similar hot non starting problem same as the TNT on a super quick busa engine they are tuning, they found out that by retarding the ignition during cranking (below 300rpm) and then advancing it after the engine fires up (old theory) cured the problem. so hopefully the chinese will realise this and change the map to sort out yet another problem.:\

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Guys,
The night the bike stopped was pretty warm and we were giving it loads of stick for about 30 miles,i mean flat out in every gear leading a bunch of mates along our favourite twisties.It finally ground to a halt when i was trying to stay alongside my mates gsxr 1000 away from a crossroads.It just cut out and would not bump start as we were slowing down.When we stopped it was the normal job where the engine would only just turn over like a flat battery.After a rest it was fine.
KJM say that it was probably the fans on for long enough to drop the voltage so that the engine management system just shut down.
It has not done it since,but then i tend to take out the tornado or my sprint st when it is really hot.
All 3 bikes are a pain in the hot weather as the heat that engulfes both of us when we are stuck at traffic lights etc is a bit much.
Zebo.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
vtxbrit,
i have got my new fan kit now ready to fit but no instructions.you made it sound pretty straight forward.
i see i have to fit a idle adjusting cable to no. 1 injector,did you have to do the same.
zebo.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yes Zebo did both, give me a day to see if i Kept the install instructions (will scan and post) if not ill write how i did it.
terry

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hello Terry,
Would you believe,no i havnt fitted them yet.Thanks for the instructions.
| have been trying to sort out my new Tre.It has now done 1200 miles,had its first service,had the valve clearances adjusted and still sounds like something is going to fly apart any minute.
It is normal Benelli rattle when first started but within a couple of minutes it does sound bloody rough!
My mechanics at my Ford dealership say they would be very concerned about riding it in case something lets go.
I have paid my local Benelli dealer to take the clutch off and check it out and that so say was all fine.
What the hell do i do now?.
The girlfriend does not want me riding it until we are happy with it.
This is my third Benelli so i can assure you that it does rattle.Boy does it rattle!.
What do i do next.The importers in Wigan and i am in Wiltshire.
I wonder if they would pick it up,but then would i ever get it back?.
What to do?.
Zebo.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
TnT rattles?

Hmmm, wonder what it is? Have you taken it back to a Benelli dealer?

The possibilities are....

1. Generator bearing
2. Balance shaft bearing

In my time with Benelli (4 years), they are possibilities from past complaints.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Zebo, you do have legal rights irrespective of the dealership offers, the benelli company offer 2 years on new bikes........ so don’t ask insist that the bike is picked up and repaired, I say repaired because in your position I would say to the dealer "its making a terrible noise something is broken I cannot ride it" if your local dealer assures you its ok get it in writing signed and stamped if it then goes pop (and I really hope it doesn't) you should have some legal redress.
if only, if only, if only!!!!! aaaaaaggghhhh

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Zebo

Out of interest. I was in traffic on a hot day last week. Because my head gasket was/is knackered, it had lost a fair amount of water. The temp got very very near to the red but I didn't have any problems with it cutting out.

Chris

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Zebo, how's it going? has a benelli stealer (whoops slip of the finger) had a listen..........my engine sounded extra noisy after about 6000 miles but putting the devil can on fixed that especially with the baffle out :lol :lol ........ the bottom end on the tnt is strong and i havent heard of any top end problems? (because i must be honest and say my engine sounds like its got lots of piston slap) my tnt now has nearly 14000 miles on the clock and it still doesn't burn oil and runs like a scalded cat :D unlike my sv1000 which started burning oil after 4000 miles.
keep us posted.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts