Benelli Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Been watching and reading for a while and the forum has been a great help sorting out my recently acquired 04 TNT. It has 4500 miles, was rather unloved, had only ever had its first service and ran like a pig; ie it was slow, got hot and bothered far too easily, cut out at idle, wouldnt start when hot etc etc. It has never had any upgrades or factory mods.
Anyway its been thoroughly gone over, oil and filter changed, heavy duty battery/alternator cables installed, valves checked and adjusted, coil sticks changed, airbox opened up and butterflies removed. Exhaust valve disconnected and locked in open position and fuelling sorted out. It now runs pretty well and is not even remotely the bike it was when i got it!:D
I have one niggle left - the transmission feels "harsh" at and below 3000rpm. It is a sensation i feel through the left footpeg much akin to the chain being far too tight (which it isnt). It is an erratic sensation present when hot or cold (which it isnt for very long!) that i havent yet correlated to anything in particular. I have been told it is "the clutch problem"....?:confused:
Anyone experience anything similar? Have any ideas/answers?
Finally one last question - is it worth getting the latest map?

Thanks all

Ed in Edinburgh

·
Registered
736 Posts
Hi and welcome.
GET THE ALTERNATOR SHAFT CHANGED!!!!!!!! DO IT WITHOUT FAIL!!!!
Then get the latest map and get her set up with Tuneboy on a dyno....only and best way to get her running to her best ability.
Oh and did I mention THE ALTERNATOR DRIVE SHAFT THINGY.
Joking apart it is essential and well documented in previous posts as to what can happen if the origonal shaft is a dud.
Dave

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Mike, Its just had new plugs and coil sticks so dont think thats the problem.

Dave - did your TNT have the same "harsh drive" symptoms before the engine expired?
Should I ride her at all at the moment or just wait until I get the alternator shaft changed? (ie how much time do I have?)

Thanks

Ed

·
I'm firing on three
611 Posts
Hi Ed, as Dave said its worth checking the alternator shaft and gear, my 05 TNT had a harshness at the same rpm it was due to mainly 2 things... a slight amount of piston slap, but mainly due to the throttle bodies not being synchronised properly I used a cut down 1.5 thou feeler gauge to set up the throttle flaps and it greatly reduced the problem I did well over 14000miles on that TNT without any real drama’s

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Ed.
Look at the thread "My TNT just gave birth" and you'll see why people are nagging you to get the alternator drive shaft checked. It probably ISN'T your problem but roughness and vibration are worrying and the consequences are very expsensive
Its not a huge job to check the alternator drive shaft (yourself or whoever sold you the bike) and that would give you peace of mind until you get it sorted properly.
As always, I recommend Bennetts of Barnsley - It may be miles from you but he's one of (if not the) the best out there for Benellis
Then you can get on with enjoying it - I'm just back from a lunchtime hoon and there's not much to beat them when they're sorted

·
349 Posts
I had convinced myself that the harshness was to do with the drive chain maybe slapping due to its length.
But now Terry has said about the throttle bodies,i will check this out over the winter break.Zebo.:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts