Benelli Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gday all, My Name is Tim, Im new on the forum, I Had a question or two because im looking at an 04 TNT to buy at the moment. Questions are the usual sort of thing, Anyone know of common problems with these bikes, and How do you fix such problems? I Have been told that there is a slight issue with the battery's, the bloke im buying it off has told me he has bought a good quality battery for the bike, but im not entirely convinced that it will fix it all.....I have heard some talk about increasing the main cable size but that was all rumours.

Cheers All

Tim

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
Hi Tim and welcome to the Forum Matey. :clap:

Doubling up the battery cables and fitting a good quality battery will certainly do no harm but it is more important to find out if the upgrades have been done, particularly the Z25 gear and starter shaft.

If you are buying off a Forum member I would hope that you should be OK but otherwise beware.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Tim and welcome to the Forum Matey. :clap:

Doubling up the battery cables and fitting a good quality battery will certainly do no harm but it is more important to find out if the upgrades have been done, particularly the Z25 gear and starter shaft.

If you are buying off a Forum member I would hope that you should be OK but otherwise beware.
When you say the Z25 gear? All i can get off this bloke is that its a 04 model TNT that has done 7000kms. I think he has damaged his leg so he hasnt ridden it much, but i also know the bloke who got it up and running, outside of that i dont know much about the bike other than its got a new battery and its pretty tidy. Its starting to sound a bit worrying now i type it all out. Also what goes wrong with the starter shaft?

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
You had better take a look on here - www.engenia.com.au - you will find pretty well all you need to know.:clap:

There have been a couple of problems in this area. One is that the bolt head which retains the shaft have sheared, although not many have done this.
Another is that they have come loose, usually because of a faulty design of tab washer which fails. Both of these result in the shaft and gear moving into contact with the corresponding gear on the back of the clutch basket. If not caught immediately, the resulting debris trashes the engine. If caught quickly, it just trashes the clutch basket. Budget £1000.:rolleyes:
Also, the modified gear and shaft are machined as a pair, ensuring concentricity. Some originals have been slightly out of true, (this is common on the 1130 motor) resulting in damage to the clutch basket,as the other 2.
The parts are available in the UK for about £100, and the job takes a couple of hours - time well spent.
The latest modified parts appeared, I think, in 2007, so any fitted before that are a ticking time bomb.
I have just changed the gear, shaft, bolt and washer on my '03 Tornado, as a precaution. When I stripped it, I found the bolt was loose! Not a minute too soon.
Doubling up the battery leads is easy, and worthwhile.

Don't worry about it, though. Buy the bike, do the mods and you will have a fantastic ride, unlike any other! You won't regret it, and you will never be short of advice and help here.

Cheers
Ian

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You had better take a look on here - www.engenia.com.au - you will find pretty well all you need to know.:clap:

There have been a couple of problems in this area. One is that the bolt head which retains the shaft have sheared, although not many have done this.
Another is that they have come loose, usually because of a faulty design of tab washer which fails. Both of these result in the shaft and gear moving into contact with the corresponding gear on the back of the clutch basket. If not caught immediately, the resulting debris trashes the engine. If caught quickly, it just trashes the clutch basket. Budget £1000.:rolleyes:
Also, the modified gear and shaft are machined as a pair, ensuring concentricity. Some originals have been slightly out of true, (this is common on the 1130 motor) resulting in damage to the clutch basket,as the other 2.
The parts are available in the UK for about £100, and the job takes a couple of hours - time well spent.
The latest modified parts appeared, I think, in 2007, so any fitted before that are a ticking time bomb.
I have just changed the gear, shaft, bolt and washer on my '03 Tornado, as a precaution. When I stripped it, I found the bolt was loose! Not a minute too soon.
Doubling up the battery leads is easy, and worthwhile.

Don't worry about it, though. Buy the bike, do the mods and you will have a fantastic ride, unlike any other! You won't regret it, and you will never be short of advice and help here.

Cheers
Ian
So Ian, From that, when you say starter shaft, do you mean the shaft in the starter motor.....not trying to put crap on you at all, I have never heard that term before. And where can I order these parts from over the internet? Unfortunately I dont know of any distributers here in Australia near where I live. I Think closest one is about 900 km's away. Also when you changed your gear over, was it a hard job?

I Am slightly worried now that you have told me that, but you reckon they are a good thing? I have only ever seen two of them on the road, and both owners say they wouldnt sell it for anything else.

Cheers Matey

Tim

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Tim.
It is the alternator shaft, and the gear is on the clutch housing end of it. You would need to look at an exploded drawing to picture it, really. When you remove the alternator; 3 bolts; from the nearside, you then see the offending bolt head, which threads into the end of the shaft. Surrounding it is a set of cush drive rubbers, which may well want replacing while you are at it, as they wear. Budget £25.
Remove the bolt head, and the shaft, complete with Z25 gear, can be tapped out into the clutch housing on the offside. For this to happen, you will have removed the clutch cover and clutch. This is straightforward. Reassembly is the reverse procedure. Nothing to worry about if you are OK with spannering, and follow the instructions on Engenia's website, and the Benelli downloadable manual, which you will find in 'Documents' on this site.
It may seem daunting to someone who has never looked at the job before, but it isn't, and will reward you well!
If you can't find the parts in Aus, then they are available from the UK importers, Motogb, or there are other sources in Europe who will post them out to you.
If you are seriously interested in owning a Benelli, this job is worth the effort. There are several very knowledgable Benelli owners in Aus, not least of whom is Engenia (Errol), but noteable other members of the forum too, who will no doubt offer their assistance if they can. I reckon one or more of them will pick up on this thread shortly....;)

If you buy it, shout up again, and we will give you a list of the parts, and part numbers, or you can find them now, in the 'Clutch autopsy' thread in the 'Benelli Technical' section of this forum.

I suggest you have a trawl through the forum; there are recent threads on this subject;:clap: ignore the recent crap:doh: ; look at Engenia's website, and you won't go far wrong!

Keep us posted!

Cheers:D
Ian

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tim.
It is the alternator shaft, and the gear is on the clutch housing end of it. You would need to look at an exploded drawing to picture it, really. When you remove the alternator; 3 bolts; from the nearside, you then see the offending bolt head, which threads into the end of the shaft. Surrounding it is a set of cush drive rubbers, which may well want replacing while you are at it, as they wear. Budget £25.
Remove the bolt head, and the shaft, complete with Z25 gear, can be tapped out into the clutch housing on the offside. For this to happen, you will have removed the clutch cover and clutch. This is straightforward. Reassembly is the reverse procedure. Nothing to worry about if you are OK with spannering, and follow the instructions on Engenia's website, and the Benelli downloadable manual, which you will find in 'Documents' on this site.
It may seem daunting to someone who has never looked at the job before, but it isn't, and will reward you well!
If you can't find the parts in Aus, then they are available from the UK importers, Motogb, or there are other sources in Europe who will post them out to you.
If you are seriously interested in owning a Benelli, this job is worth the effort. There are several very knowledgable Benelli owners in Aus, not least of whom is Engenia (Errol), but noteable other members of the forum too, who will no doubt offer their assistance if they can. I reckon one or more of them will pick up on this thread shortly....;)

If you buy it, shout up again, and we will give you a list of the parts, and part numbers, or you can find them now, in the 'Clutch autopsy' thread in the 'Benelli Technical' section of this forum.

I suggest you have a trawl through the forum; there are recent threads on this subject;:clap: ignore the recent crap:doh: ; look at Engenia's website, and you won't go far wrong!

Keep us posted!

Cheers:D
Ian
Thanks again Ian, Just out of curiosity, Is there not much difference between a TNT and a Tornado?

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Thanks again Ian, Just out of curiosity, Is there not much difference between a TNT and a Tornado?
I don't have a TNT, but there is quite an interchangeability of parts, I believe. Certainly, the parts we are talking about are all the same. The 1130 TNT motor was developed from the 900 Tornado. Apart from the obvious, there are differences with cams, etc, but they appear to have a kind of modular construction, which makes life easier all round.
The 900 Tornado's have a Sagem ECU; the 1130's have a Walbro, so that's a noteable difference, but they do share components, for sure.

Cheers
Ian

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
P.S. If you click on 'Members' Gallery' at the top of the page, then 'newest member album photos', go into my album, open 'Introducing Benny #2' folder, and you will find pictures of the shaft, and the gear.:)
I will take a picture of the bolt and offending tab washer, and load that up too. 2 small tabs on the washer break off, leaving them to float around the engine, and rendering the washer ineffective.
The washer is replaced now by a Belville washer, which seems to work.

Cheers
Ian

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
P.S. If you click on 'Members' Gallery' at the top of the page, then 'newest member album photos', go into my album, open 'Introducing Benny #2' folder, and you will find pictures of the shaft, and the gear.:)
I will take a picture of the bolt and offending tab washer, and load that up too. 2 small tabs on the washer break off, leaving them to float around the engine, and rendering the washer ineffective.
The washer is replaced now by a Belville washer, which seems to work.

Cheers
Ian
Ian,

Thanks for all of your help. I think that I might get on alot better on this forum than others, as everyone wants to hold out information on you especially critical steps that they might "Accidentally" Leave out on you.

Either way, thanks again

Tim

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Ian,

Thanks for all of your help. I think that I might get on alot better on this forum than others, as everyone wants to hold out information on you especially critical steps that they might "Accidentally" Leave out on you.

Either way, thanks again

Tim
That doesn't happen here, Matey! On your Continent you have some of the best informed guys in Benelliland; Engenia; Aussie RS; 'the original' JohnnyO(!); and others. These guys are a goldmine of Benelli info, and are happy to share it.

Cheers
Ian

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
Why would people do that :mad: Looks like you've been visiting the wrong forums matey.

You won't find a more helpfull bunch of guys that want to do everything they can to help fellow members out, than right here.

Welcome to the BEST place to learn everything you wanted to know about Benelli's.............................and a whole lot more that you didn't :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Why would people do that :mad: Looks like you've been visiting the wrong forums matey.

You won't find a more helpfull bunch of guys that want to do everything they can to help fellow members out, than right here.

Welcome to the BEST place to learn everything you wanted to know about Benelli's.............................and a whole lot more that you didn't :)
Mate, I Dont know why they do that, their just such petty pricks.....must be an Aussie thing as im part of a few international sites and they dont seem to do that at all.....I Suppose they just went through so much shit to learn how to do it and they want something out of the deal???

When you say a whole lot more that i Didnt :p???

Also does anyone know the differenece between a plain 04 benelli TNT and an 06 TNT Sport?

·
Cafe Racer member
676 Posts
Mate, I Dont know why they do that, their just such petty pricks.....must be an Aussie thing as im part of a few international sites and they dont seem to do that at all.....I Suppose they just went through so much shit to learn how to do it and they want something out of the deal???

When you say a whole lot more that i Didnt :p???

Also does anyone know the differenece between a plain 04 benelli TNT and an 06 TNT Sport?
I'm going to take a shot at this. Different forks with radial calipers and compression adjustment on the rear shock and a Sport label on it.

Paul

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
I believe the Sport also has a different compression ration.

When you say a whole lot more that i Didn't :p???
All that I meant is that you will generally find out whatever you are looking for and you will also pick up a lot more information as well about other things you didn't know.

Well worth a trawl through the Forum posts as there is a whole host of useful information in there. :clap:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts