Benelli Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
To buy or not to buy?

This is my first posting to the Benelli forum which looks great and informative and would like to start of by asking a question.

I am considering the purchase of a Tornado 900 (green/silver as it seems to be the fastest option :) ) and have read with interest some of the problems many of you have seemed to have experienced. I am aware that it is typical for a forum to be a outlet for problems more than adulation and as such have taken this into account. In fact I am currently riding a Multistrada 100ds s which has a chequered reliability history itself due to all sorts of problems but all have been rectified by my dealer as soon as they were informed.

So to the question, I would be very interested and appreciative to learn any experiences you have had with the bike (drop dead gorgeous that it is) using it on a daily bases. I currently commute to work which is a fifty mile round trip, is the bike up to it? or should it be considered as a bike for the Sunday afternoon blast and sunny days (live in the UK)

Appreciate it’s a bit cheeky introducing myself with a question but I need to make my mind up quickly, well this coming Friday as it happens because if I am going to change the bike now is the right time with the very low prices for the Tornado 900 (new) and the accumulating miles on the Multi.

Thanks in advance.

·
Senior Post Whore
2,931 Posts
Welcome to the forums HayStack:bow:

The Tornado is a bike that you can use to commute to work and the 50 mile round trip will fly by. It's also a great bike to have that Sunday afternoon blast on. A couple of questions for yourself .... Have you had a test ride on the Tre yet? The seat height is pretty high and the turning circle is almost none existant (although you soon get used to it), the noise is beautiful as is the looks but it does come with a bit of a dodgy past with regards to reliability (especially with me). However, if you are buying the bike new from KJM then I do know that they carry out ALL of the modifications that are needed to make the bike run as smoothly as possible for you and to make living with it a tad easier.
My experiences with the bike have been riddled with problems (it's sitting at KJM at the moment looking at the possibility of a replacement engine) and I'm very very close to selling it once I get it back. Would I buy another Benelli again? No. Would I miss the looks, the noise and the grin factor from it? No. I want a bike that will allow me to wheel it out of the garage, plonk my arse on her and rip the tits out of it. And then allow me to do the same the following day. With Benelli there is a very good chance that you won't get to do that, but then again I've had a bad experience with this make of bike and there are others who have been a damn sight luckier than me. Risk it for a biscuit matey, it's a lovely bike (when it works) but when it goes tits up then you can expect a pretty long wait before you're back on the road.;)

Al:D

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Hi there Haystack

Welcome on board

Well, its true to say that some people have had a fair bit of trouble with their Nelli (Al in particular), but some people have had next to nothing wrong with theirs.
Mine is a 2005 model that I bought 2nd hand when it was 6 months old and it was trouble free for the 1st six months I had it, then I had a gear selector problem - all last year it was in and out of a 'dealer' each time the 'fix' lasted around 50-60 miles then the problem resurfaced.
Saying that - the bike never left me stranded anywhere - I was always able to 'dance' on the gear lever to eventually find a gear and still managed to do about 2500 miles on her last year despite being in the dealers for a total of 3 months during the summer.
I dont use mine for commuting (the odd sunny day in summer maybe) but I dont find it much harder than on my old firestorm or blade.
Eventually Benelli replaced it (under warranty) just before xmas - so far its all fine (albeit a little tight - as you would expect a new gearbox)
I have spoken with Brian at Benelli UK a few times and can honestly say that he (and Benelli UK) are very accomodatiing - the only downside is sometimes that you have to wait a while for parts to come from Italy.
Would I buy another Benelli - I have to say YES I would - dealing with Benelli UK (effectively KJM) and Bennetts (in Barnsley) - other dealers north of the M25 I would probably not use - although I cant vouch for the ones up in Scotland

Sorry I waffled

Kurt

(just buy one- there are some great deals out ther

·
1,228 Posts
To Nelli or not to Nelli

I have the LE and the Biposto and have not had one problem with either. Well, the gearbox on the standard model is a bit tight but I don't consider that a problem. I think you have to ask yourself:

Do I live with the regrets of the things I have done or do I go through life wondering what if I had tried?

You can't get a bike with that type of passion behind it for the same cash. Anything else just doesn't do it. All the japanese bikes, of which I still have my 1987 honda hurrucane, are a dime a dozen with no heart, soul, or character. My Aprilia, although fun, is one in a billion as well. The Nelli is my passion bike. Like any italian hottie she may be a bit quirky at times but well worth the effort. Good Luck on your endevor mate.

Cheers
John

·
3,082 Posts
buying one

Get a sorted one with warranty and its cool, I'm going to get one later this year to join the RS, TnT that is, , the 06 made ones are meant to be more sorted, but it seems as if some peeps have not a single problem, majority have a few minor fixable niggles, and occasionally someone get a real lemon.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi All,

Well first things first, thanks very much for the response, it always interesting and informative to learn of other people’s experiences. So a bit of a mixed bag really, with Big Bad Al really having a Sh** experience, one I would not wish to repeat.

So am I any wiser? Well I was up till the point I found the RS version brand new with two years warranty also less than 7k. Which one do I go for, the price difference is only 500 quid and the extra wizz-bangs on the RS look appealing:) Guess I will have to see both of them in the flesh and then decide.

Once again thanks for the input, if anyone would like to offer advice as to which version of the Tornado I should aim for I would be most interested as I am currently a little confused!!:confused:

·
Senior Post Whore
2,931 Posts
I'd go for the RS;) Mind you I'd be happy with a Halfords scooter at this moment in time:rolling:

Al:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh no not more options :doh: still that made be laugh, not at your expense of course, just blinking funny :bow:

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I'd go for the RS;) Mind you I'd be happy with a Halfords scooter at this moment in time:rolling:

Al, send me your address mate and I will send you a scooter - honest ! :rolling: - anything to put the smile back on your face fella ! (May even send you a can of soup too - oh and a small bottle of Mr D !)

Haystack - if your only looking at £500 extra then you gotta go for the RS - I have spent around £200 just on carbon hugger and mudguard for my Tre - so thats a billy bargain - the big plus from what I have understood on this forum, is there appears to be less problems associated with the RS too (someone please correct me if I got that wrong)

But to reitterate what johnnyrottin said - where else can you get the looks and exclusivity of the Benelli for the same money - YOU CANT !

I smile everytime I walk into my garage and see my bike - I didnt do that with the others I have owned (well maybe just for the 1st month or two !)

Welcome on board - I dont think you would regret it. (but as a commuter, have you thought about buying a cheap hack for the really shitty weather days also??)

Kurt

·
Senior Post Whore
2,931 Posts
Al, send me your address mate and I will send you a scooter - honest ! :rolling: - anything to put the smile back on your face fella ! (May even send you a can of soup too - oh and a small bottle of Mr D !)
Kurt? Are you sitting down mate? I can't believe I'm going to say this but I've not touched a drop of Jack for over a week now:bawl: I've been detoxing:( Nothing but peppermint tea and water (litres of the bloody stuff) has gone down my throat recently. Mind you I feel better for it but I'm away to Newcastle this weekend and I'm gonna get absolutly plastered:ele::ele:

Al (Smelling of peppermint);)

·
Super Moderator
7,770 Posts
I've been detoxing:( Nothing but peppermint tea and water
Jeez Al, I see you are to taking this 'affair' with Hppsco pretty serious then, have you booked to plane tickets yet? :rolling:

OK, now back to the thread...

Welcome Haystack....(or may I call you Giant?) :)

As you've probably gathered already, people have had a mixed bag of experiences with the Tornado, some great and some not so good (well OK in Al's instance, downright crap!)

As for me, I've had 2 Tornado's from new. The first I bought in 2004 and had next to no problems, other than the odd thing here and there but nothing that stopped me from riding. I even took it over to Europe in 2005 and had a trouble free trip through 7 countries in a week. I traded it in for another exactly the same last year. I commute most days if the weather is fair and it has never let me down yet.

By comparison to others on the Forum, I suppose I have been lucky but I can only think of a couple bikes that would have given me the same amount of enjoyment as these have (and none of them are from the land of the rising sun!!!)

If you can get a new RS for only £500 more than the standard TRE (and you can come to terms with the colour scheme) I'd go for it.:clap:

·
Senior Post Whore
2,931 Posts
Jeez Al, I see you are to taking this 'affair' with Hppsco pretty serious then, have you booked to plane tickets yet? :rolling:
She's worth it Laurence:bow: And I don't need plane tickets .... my love will carry me to her;)

Al (Reading Mills and Boon):eek:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Once again thanks for the info :clap:

Friday is kind of D-Day if all works out and the dealer still has the bike for sale. The RS I tracked down for very reasonable money has been sold :mad: so its back to the standard TRE. One shock has been the piss poor trade in value for the Multi even with all the extras I have put on her, still that’s the way it goes I guess, biking after all is a passion for me, not a money earner or future investment (this could explain the lack of money I constantly experiance :doh: )

I should really start another thread for this one but any indications of what the service intervals are and the costs involved (hope its cheaper then the Multi!). I did a search in the forum but could not find what I was looking for.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Re Servicing

Haystack

Re servicing - depending on your location then see how many official Benelli dealers you have within an hours commute of your location - I travel to Barnsley to use Bennetts (about 40mls and just under an hour) - there are other 'ex' benelli dealerships that will service it - but my personal experience is that they dont get many in and when they do if its anything more than plugs and oil change they struggle.
The 1 year service (6000km or 3750mls) on my Tre would cost £250+vat at Bennetts (as it was at the time I didnt know they were Benelli dealers and took it elsewhere and they charged me £500 :eek: - F*c***g robbing B**s**rds - at least Dick Turpin wore a mask ! :spank:
Anyway - rant over now - obviously servicing on the Nelli will cost more than a Jap 4 - but this is what you buy into - the complete 'different / exclusive' biking commmunity I guess.:excited:

In comparision - I can go out and buy a 10 - 15 year old Ferrari and afford it - buy the insurance and servicing costs would bankrupt me !

Catch 22 :confused:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hi Haystack and welcome to the forum:)

As a dealer here in the UK I am fully aware of the bad history Benelli have had and Benelli UK are trying very hard to build up a solid reputation in the brand. Most of the issues with all the bikes are talked about here on the forum I would recommend anyone buying a benelli to look at this forum and then make up there own minds, the good the bad and the ugly:rolleyes:

I hope you make the right choice and join the Italian revolution ;)

Regards Rusty.

·
1,841 Posts
New tornadoist ?

Hi Haystack, thought I would add my pennysworth....... you can get an RS new for £7000 from taz in peterboro, and probably other dealers if you point this out. Personally i would buy the rs , as i did, as you get more for your money, but the tre at £6000 new is a bargain. Make sure the clutch mods etc... are carried out and ask for it in writing.
The rs has harder suspension so if you weigh 6 stone i would go for the tre !
The rs has a stiffer clutch , so if you have arthuritus in your left hand buy a tre ! If you dont like the loverly yellow or red then you will have to get a tre.
You are better off selling the duc privately,even if it means a loan for a while till sold. Where do you live ?
good luck with your decision...:confused:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am looking to purchased this little sexy number from OnYerBike, which I see is an official Benelli dealer, its also where I brought the Multi from. To date I have found them very reasonable they sorted the all the problems I had including replacing the front brakes and disks (shudder, a Multi problem they all seem to get) I was reluctant at first to buy an Italian steed (if you can class a Multi as a steed :rolling: ) but was driven by my heart as previously being a Japanese owner through and through. What I can say without doubt that crossing over to the dark side was the best decision I have made in biking terms, there is so much more passion and pride of ownership that just does not exist on a pocket rice rocket :D I am prattling on a bit now, could be the wine, but if I fell for a Multi I am positively orgasmic about the TRE. So stuff the trade in price I have got to get my hands on one. Hope the sales team at OnYerBike don’t read this forum, this could have just cost me another grand :doh:

So any recommendations of the best place to purchase a TRE from and servicing would be usefull, as you can tell I'm down southish well Bedford as it happens.

Sorry all I seem to ask is questions, that will change once I get a TRE, promise :)

·
Unofficial Factory Tester
166 Posts
Tre RS Hybrid

Hi Haystack,

Hope you find a bike that you like in the end.

I have a Silver Green Tre with an RS engine so best of both worlds.

My Tre has all the Benelli Sport Carbon bits and Ti exhaust so not missing much from the standard RS except the radial brakes, stiffer rear shock, adjustable dampner and larger front shocks.

Having had the standard Tre engine and now the RS engine I find the RS needs to be kept highr in the Revs for normal road riding.

cheers

·
1,228 Posts
On Yer Bike

I had a bad sales experience with on yer bike. Stood around for an hour and a half will the sales people sat around and did nothing. I was ready, cash in hand ot walk out with an MV or a Nelli that day. They cared not one iota. Went to another dealer and they took care of me immediately. I would reccommend going to KJM just for the service and the fact that they carry the little extra bits as well that you may want for your ped. Also, I would reccomend getting a tank protector. nOt the pad tat benelli sells but one of the carbon fibre deals that we get made in australia.

·
Senior Post Whore
2,931 Posts
I second JR's comment on going to KJM for the bike Haystack. They are a really nice bunch of lads, always willing to help and never short of a smile (although the free coffee in their showroom is a bit in the rank side:rolling:).
Glen, the lad who does all the mechanical work on these bikes is a genius. Top bloke through and through and will not let a bike leave the garage until he is absolutly sure that everything has been done to give you a trouble free experience on the Nelli. Give KJM a call mate and tell them you spoke to some of us on the forum and see what they can do for you. Put it this way, if I was to buy another bike (any make) I would see if KJM would like my business first before I would look anywhere else. Traveling down doesn't bother me and the ride back up can be a real hoot on some of the roads. I've just about had mine redlining in top gear on some return trips back to edinburgh. Smiles all the way my wheaty friend;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts