Benelli Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That is the Question... this only started today. i was cruising along at a nice sedate 80kph, coming up to an intersection. i whipped it down through the gears clutchless, came to a near stop with the clutch in, still coasting forward at less than walking speed. Waited for a Cage to go past, and took off, and she died on me!!!! fair enough, pull over and start her up again. started fine. got home, parked up, and farted around inside for a while. hopped back on bike, started up, took off.... same thing. this time it took 4 or 5 attempts to get going. once i was off and riding, it was fine, even coming to stops at lights, it didn't do it again. untill the bike had been sitting for a while, then it carried on all over, another half dozen attempts to get going... any ideas people? It will be going in for it's 5000k service next week, so i want amunition to fire at the dealer if he tries to palm the issue off. :D I'm also going to get the new map, and the clutch actuator recall seen to.

Much appreciated,

Daniel

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
misfire

I hink we discussed this problem before, I think we decided that the airbox air temp sensor gets warm from the engine making the mixture lean out (thinking it's a hot day) causing a lean spit-back which can make the bike cut-out.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: misfire

hmmmn... fair enough. i've just re-appeared from a ride, and i noticed that it only seems to cut out going around right hand corners, and just after it has cut out, the coolant temp guage needle goes full clockwise.. i.e. past the red. i've checked the coolant, bike is not running hot. fairly cool night here, sitting around the 20 degrees celcius. bike is running at about 80 degrees. i thought it may have something to do with the tip-over switch. but the temp guage thing has thrown me. :D see what you can make of that!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I'm not going to be much help to you, but ...

Shifting my temp sensor to the upper front of the airbox didn't fix the stalling problem on mine. She does it maybe once a month, not what you are describing.

The way mine ALMOST stalls, is, in neutral, or clutch in, the revs drop below the idle speed, then the ECU seems to catch up, and the revs build back to idle. When it stalls, the ECU possibly hasn't adjusted the mixture correctly for idling, in time, so it stalls. There is no coughing, so I suspect it has leaned out too far.

The tip-over switch, being mechanical, is subject to vibration, and this only at very high revs. Not what you are describing - but it still may be the culprit.

This happened to me once, on a demo bike. As I remember, the LCD went blank, and the gauges stopped working - but I may be wrong here - it was a few years ago, and I was going seriously quick at the time. She started right up when I cycled the keyswitch - still coasting. Cycling the kill switch also resets the ECU - apparently.

If you want to try bypassing the tip-over switch, you need to bridge 2 pins on the (female) plug, that connects to the switch. Looking at the female pins, with the lock mechanism up, bridge the left and centre pins. Leave the right pin open.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

more testing today. it ONLY cuts out around right corners, at low speed. doesn't matter how much you rev it and ride the clutch, it cuts out. doesn't matter if you put around the corner and don't use the clutch, cuts out. don't know how much speed has to do with it. i'm not game enough to try hitting full lean when it's doing this... :D gonna have a look at the tip-over switch now...

thanks for the input so far. any other ideas, throw them at me!

Daniel

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cutting out

I really do not think it'll be the tip-over switch; when that switch is triggered, the whole system is shut down and the bike will only start again after the ign or kill switch is turned off for over 4 seconds.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: cutting out

hmmmn. right. well, tip switch out.... why would it only do it around right corners? hmmmn... i've been out a bit today, and it has not once done it on a left turn. it has done it occaisionally taking off from lights... has done it on EVERY right hand turn with any kind of lean. if i put around the corner keeping the bike upright, it doesn't die. i can scrape my toes around left corners and it won't die. but even a bit of a lean to the right and she bails on me... *sigh*.. well, taking it in to the dealer for service next week. he can deal with it :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

ok, more info on the situation. :D i was out riding again today, of course. I've noticed that it cuts out on a really hard launch as well. So now i'm thinking it's the oil level sensor. is it, by any chance, on the front left of the engine? ...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

What you have is not the "standard" cutting out problem.

If the ECU detects a fault - eg. Oil pressure too low, therefore switch off - does it not log that fault?

A Tuneboy or Axione will be able to show you these logged faults.

Another thought. Have you checked for broken (intermittent) connections? Try giving each wire in each connector a tug. If the connection is doggy, you'll feel it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cutting out

Hmmm, if it's not a loose electrical plug or broken wires, maybe it is a faulty tip-over switch?

When it cuts out, will it immediately restart?

Once the guys at Prestige M/c's get a look at it, we should have a better idea.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Transport....

Thanks Johnny. Now, the next question is. How do i get the bike to Prestige. Thats a good 700Km. No way i'm going to ride it there when it's doing this. Being a warranty issue, shouldn't they come and get it? hmmmmn... got the balls to pull the lower fairing off today. checked the oil pressure sensor... made no difference. only have to tilt the bike a couple of degrees when stationary for it to cut out...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cutting out

Nope, it's the resonsibility of the owner to get it back to the selling dealer, BUT, the importers being such good blokes, I'm sure will allow you to take it to your nearest, quality motorcycle shop for a look.

The tip-over switch is the little black, plastic box on the front of the airbox.

Be warned, if it turns out that the problem is not covered by warranty, you'll have to pay the labour regardless of who does the work.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
tip-over

i haven't played with the tip-over switch yet. but all the instruments are still functional when the engine cuts out, and it starts instantly when you hit the button... if you've returned the bike to it's original upright position...going to throw the bike on a ute and take it to brissy. gotta get the clutch mods done, anyhow... and get the latest mapping.... thanks for your assistance.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
mapping

If you want the latest mapping, you'll have to post me the ECU and I'll load it in for you.

Currently I am the only person in oz that can download the map for you, we only have the one Axone tool (they cost us $4000 ea) and it's here in Melbourne.

All other owners send their ECU by Express Post and I send it straight back. We do this upgrade free, it is not a warranty or recall, we just do it for good customer relations :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
problem solved... nearly...

aha! i finally got around to putting my bike in to get looked at... it IS the tipover switch... but they've had the bike a week to find that out... so, now i have to wait for them to decide what to do... ahh well.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
tip over switch

damn, this inspires confidence. i had to tell the dealer WHERE the tip-over switch is located... any comments on how long would be a decent length of time to expect the tip-over switch to be a) fixed or b) replaced... ? been 2 weeks now.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: tip over switch

rapid, if you want to get the Tre back on the road, without waiting for the tipover switch to arrive, disconnect the dud tip-over switch, and short pins 2 & 3 of the (female) plug that connected to the switch. Leave pin 1 unconnected.

The pin numbers should be marked on the side of the connector, but if you can't see it ---- you orient the female plug with the catch mechanism up, pin 1 is on the right, when you are looking at the front, or pin end.

Pin 2 connects directly to the ECU.
Pin 3 connects to the battery negative terminal (ground).

Just don't let her fall over while she's running. She won't stop until she seizes.

This is how my Tre was delivered. I ran it for several months like this before I discovered it. The factory had "cured" the problem of cutting out when the switch vibrated on (at very high revs), by disconnecting it altogether.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Many Thanks

Many Thanks for that info, Engenia! I am heading back to work on tuesday. will be ringing them on monday, and giving them a hurry up. If it aint fixed by next week, and if they cannot give me a definate fixed-by date, i may just do that. :D thanks, again.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts