Benelli Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With my brother in law picking up his new Aprillia RSVR and my mate with his Buell we decided to make the most of the good weather and go out for a ride this afternoon. I unhooked my optimate and .... well nothing really. The battery was flat. A jump start got me going and we set off. We decided to stop off at the Triumph dealer in Flitwick, which was just as well. As we tried to leave my battery was still flat. They kindly gave me a jump start or 3 but to no avail, as soon as i put the lights on the bike died. So it was wheeled into the repair shop and a new battery was needed. They had a new one and fitted it in no time, so £92 later i was off...

A ride with a difference, but i think i was lucky.. if you are going to break down, do it at bike dealer!

T100

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Unlucky buddy:( I think everything else on my bike has went tits up apart from the battery problem:eek Here's keeping my fingers crossed for a few more days of trouble free riding before the really crap weather sets in >D

Al;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lovely, if a bit cold weather today! Managed to whack another 130 miles on the bike and break the 5,000 barrier on it!

Took a trip over to Three Cross to speak to them about my paitn flakeing on the leading edge of both lower fairings, and was promptly told 'SORRY MATE, WE DON'T DO WARRANTY WORK ANYMORE ON 'NELLI'S'

Well considering i bought the bike from them I was a little miffed to say the least!

This just re-inforces my opinion of them being renamed Double-Cross! Funny how they won't do warranty work, yet they are still trying to off load an LE and 2 x TRE's from their shop floor!

Now where do I go to get my fairings replaced?

They told me to go to KJM in Bristol! Fuuny i thought KJM was in Wigan, and I'll be buggered if I am travelling that distance!

Maybe Red Dog will be able to help! (Lloyd, any ideas on this one?)

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Andy, if 3x sold you the bike you have legal rights under the Sale of goods act for faults with the bike. Just because you have warranty does not mean you lose your rights.
If 3x cant use the warranty then you can claim the cost of new parts against them. Use google and you can find details of what procedure to take.
P.S On the subject of RED DOG there position is nearly the same as 3x they will sell you a bike but they will only do warranty on a bike sold by them !

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Andy,

When I bought my bike I got it second hand with only 600 miles on the clock and the bloke that I had bought it from also bought it new from 3X. He told me at the time that they didn't do the warranty work anymore but that KJM would cover the work needed on the existing warranty. I had spoken to 3X about this but their service and attitude on the phone stinks so it was off to KJM for me after that|I
I have also had my fairings replace twice now by KJM and the set that I have on the Nelli are top notch. Give Brian Harris a call at KJM to see what he can do for you;)

Al8)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i know its only replacing a bettery, but i have to say the Triumph dealer in Flitwick couldnt have been more helpful. They spoke about a dealer near Silverstone that services Benelli - anyone used them?

T100

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Like Al I bought mine 2nd hand and its warranty finished last March, then the clutch basket thing happened this summer. Brian at KJM has been sooo unbelievably helpful, I just can't praise his help enough. If any one can/will help you he's your man. (0870 8506525)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice guys.

I will go along the 'ring Brian' line first and see what they have to say. I f I get no joy, then it will be a trip to the Citizens Advice Bureau when I am on Christmas leave.

Funny thing is, I knew what a crock of sh1t 'double' cross were before I even went to them (having had a few issues with an imported Triumph I bought back from Germany in 2000) but I guess I really should follow my gut instincts one of these days!

If I do manage to get my fairings looked at by KJM, do you think they will allow me to bring them up in the car if I take them off the bike? I'll be buggered if I am riding that distance in the weather we are having lately!

Lloyd, if you are up to car journeys I'll come and pick you up so we can go and have a look round!

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Andy,

I don't think KJM would mind if you took the fairings off the bike. They weigh absolutely nothing and are so flimsy you could probably roll them up and sick em in your pocket:rollin

Al:smokin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I have just come off the telephone to KJM, unfortunately Brian Harris wasn't there as he has a week off this week.

One of his very helpful colleagues has advised me to take some pictures of the paint peeling problem and send it off to them, hopefully the pictures will come out okay, because he said I may not even have to go up to Wigan as the lowers could be shipped straight to me - what a bonus!!!

Bloody good chaps if they do sort this out... now why couldn't Double cross be as helpful???

(Double post from the 'Black Paint Peels too' one so this thread can go back on track!)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:hat

I have only heard of one other black Tre paint peeling problem, most of them have been the green ones. I have had two right hand panels replaced when it was under warrenty, my third panel started to peel but I stopped it with clear nail varnish as mentioned on previous threads. (Not that it a worry any more!)

If any of you have problems with paint peeling on the green Tre's and the bike is out of warrenty give Red Dog a ring, they have a guy that can match the colour perfectly.

It seems that there is good feedback on KJM, is there light at the end of the tunnel? My only concern is, if I got a new Benelli and it had a problem I would not want to go to Wigan every time, especially if it was something that was major such as it wont start ect, who would foot the cost of getting the bike up there? There needs to be localised backup in the south and the north.

Andy good luck with a replacement panel, I hope that you don't need to go up to Wigan, but if you do I would glad to tag along as the boredom really sucks!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a black n silver Tornado and the paint has either started flaking or has been chipped at the dealers
(sometime over the past year whilst it has been in 3 times for a gearbox problem)

What is the name of Brian's co-worker? - I may just give him a call and ask him to stock up his supplies of black lowers :rollin

Can anyone post a pic of paint flaking (ideally off a black fairing ? - So I can compare to see if its flaking or damaged by the dealer??)

Many thanks

Kurt

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Kurt,

I will be taking photographs of my bike at the weekend (I unfortunately have to work away in Watford during the week).

Hopefully the photographs will come out okay (i.e. showing the problem) as I fear the black paint on black plastics may not show up too well.

Anyway, if I manage to get the pictures hosted I will put them up somewhere on here.

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
To back or not to back.....hmmmmm

In all fairness to Three Cross, I have had a brilliant experience with them. I bought my Nelli biposto used and my Nelli LE brand new from them and they have gone incredibly far out of their way for me to include obtaining a new Arrow exhaust still in the box, to an extra set of flip keys at zero cost to me. So, before they are refered to as Double Cross lets take a look at the situation. As I understand it your Nelli was a used bike and didn't suffer from a mechanical problem. Does your used bike warranty cover mech problems or does it cover cosmetic, etc problems? No dealership will guarantee that nothing will go wrong with a used motorcycle. We know that the paint peeling is a Benelli issue ans not caused by 3X. 3X cannot legally handle Benelli issues any longer. It is illegal for them to do so. KJM is the exclusive importer for Benelli per Benelli corporate hq. This gives them exclusive say over who can and cannot handle warranty claims. Thus, 3X, who sell used bikes just as loads of yamaha dealers will sell you a used Honda, do sell used Nellis and will help you with mechanical issues but cannot cover the paint issue unless its a respray. However, I spoke with Lee and with Jordan at 3X and they are more than willing to make calls to KJM for you. Add to this the fact that your bike is an 03 and the paint is now starting to peel and it is, for all intensive purpposes, a 4 year old motorcycle. With no factory warranty left KJM may even have a difficult time getting Benelli to cover it. I believe that Benelli should cover it but I am biased since we know that it is a problem not attributed to bad prep work on the panels and not to the end users treatment. Benelli makes the decision on what will be covered and what will not be on their bill. Likewise, if Benelli does not cover it and KJM decides to suck up the cost then good on them. Most likely, you are going to be stuck getting it painted at your cost. Give the Dogs a call and see what they can get the panels painted for. It may be better than just getting new panels from Benelli because even some of the new panels have peeled. If you do decide to give 3X a call, speak to Jordan and tell him you are a personal freind of John's. If that doesn't help you ther nothing will. Jordan is a fantasic bloke and he will call KJM and do whatever is in his power to do for one of his customers. Pull out your warranty from 3X and see when it expires and if cosmetics are a covered item. If they are you should be able to get them to at least paint the offending panel. If not KJM may be able to talk Benelli into the coverage as it does nothing but improve their brand image (which is heavily tarnished at the moment). At the end of the day mate, if your grin is as wide as mine when i ride I would happily take it to Dream Machine and have them do the respray as they are fantastic painters. Your Nelli is worth it!!! If there is anything that I can help you with I am more than happy to make calls to 3X or to KJM as I know both Brian and Jordan fairly well. My cell number in the UK is 07725875962. If i don't answer just shoot a text and I will call you as soon as i get free from the office or down from a flight. One more thing guys....lets keep these Nellis rubber siide down and shiny side up!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I hear what you're saying JR .... but ....

.... 3X will not touch a Benelli that is in (or out) of warranty. No doubt about it ... they won't do it. 3X got into some difficulty with Benelli a couple of years back and KJM stepped in to take over, hence KJM taking over all of the warranty work. Sure, you could buy a Benelli Tornado from 3X, but ask them if they could service it for you and the answer will be no chance. It's all done by others in the industry.

Psssst..... you realise that by providing your mobie number means you'll get sexy texts at all hours in the morning:rollin :rollin

I luv ya big boy

Al;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: I hear what you're saying JR .... but ....

if I got a new Benelli and it had a problem
So your still considering an 1130 Lloyd.... thought that you had made your mind up for the MV (must remember to send more subliminal messages... 'buy the Corse')

If you do go for the 1130 at the end of the day, I wouldn't worry too much if it had to go up to wigan. The guys there are pretty considerate and have arranged to pick mine up in Edinburgh and deliver it back foc after completing some waranty work recently. The seem to sell/deliver so many bikes they are all over the country on a regular basis, so quite often they can arrange to pick up and drop off when they are in the area.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

:hat

Big Bad Al I am getting really worried about you!:lol :lol :lol

Laurence, I had the pleasure of talking with Johnyrottin on the phone this afternoon about what I should buy next. (Good to talk with you today John, thanks for the call.) I would still love to own an LE but I am worried about warrenty issues as I am with the new 1130 which is also a great looking bike. (I would want to paint the top of the fairing silver and add wavey discs and a nice set to rearsets to her!)

But at present my heart is on the MV Corse as you have seen, that's of "corse"! if there is any left, as there is only 300 being made!

As said before, Decisions, Decisions!:rolleyes

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Jonny, I haven;'t read your full post as I have just popped onto the site briefly whilst at work, in answer to your question....

No my bike was Brand spanking new, 6 miles on the clock (I guess it was pushed around a bit in the shop but it would have also included the PDI run!)

It came with full 2 year warranty, and as for problems, try getting f***ed off at the high port by them when I told them the clutch was too stiff when I picked it up... there answer, it's okay, it takes a bit of time to bed in and loosen off.

600 miles later it went in for it's initial service in Germany (the bike was exported as I am in the Forces) the dealer in Cologne found there was a problem with the clutch and it had to be fixed under warranty (was the PDI done correctly by 3X, I doubt it!)

Then after 1000 miles I had a valve stem snap which resulted in catastrophic results to the engine, this resulted in a complete engine replacement under warranty. (Funny, 3X didn't want to know about this either and I got f***ed off at the high port, once again by 3X, and all they could state, was it wasn't there problem as I exported the bike! Thankfully the dealers in Cologne were top notch and knew how to treat customers... even though I hadn't bought the bike from them!)

I now come back home to the UK, the bike is back to its original licence plate, log book and is only 36 miles away from the dealers who I bought the bike from and once again when there is a problem I get f***ed off at the high port!

Do I have the right to be a little more than angered by their attitude... you bet I do!

Maybe it was because I got the bike Tax Free, I don't know (I know I should have listened to myself when buying from them I had similar dealing with these imbeciles back in 2000, with an imported Triumph that they refused to service for me because I hadn't bought it from them!)

The only thing that is certain for them is that they will never see a penny from my pocket again!

Waste of space large volume dealership that doesn't give a hoot about you once you have left the doors and ridden away!

>: Rant over!:smokin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Three Cross!

Okay, just read the rest of the post Jonny,

Thank you for your consideration and attempts at trying to get a response from these people.

FYI, my bike was purchased 30 Jul 05, therefore it still has a little under 8 months warranty on it. regardless of whether it was a 03 bike, it was sold with a full factory 2 years warranty.

Can you honestly say that putting yourself in my position, with this experience; together with my previous experience with this company when trying to get my Triumph sorted, would you really feel confident about going back and dealing with these people?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts