Benelli Forum banner
21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Been out to have a look, got the hoses off to the water pump, stuck my pinky in can just feel the nut but no chance of getting near enough to see if turns mind, also found thermostat, do I need to get the tank off etc to get to this as I really can't be bothered getting greatly involved if this can get sorted under warranty, kinda the reason I wanted to buy new so I had at least had a yr of 2 without getting dirty hands lol

·
Banned
100 Posts
Unless your really gifted the tstat isn't coming out with out the fairings and tank, and in my own experience the air box as well(simply for light, and clearance while rooting around in there.

As for the water pump impeller, if you want you could put a socket to it and make sure it doesn't seem loose( the nut ) I can remember if it's a left or right thread off the too of my head so don't be cavemaning it, just put the wrench to it in both directions and make sure it doesn't spin free.(the nut)

·
Banned
100 Posts
I understand the whole warranty thing, the few things we're attempting to inspect here will be easy, cheap, and for the most part free.

If the impeller is loose, the tightening of the holding nut will fix your bike completely.
If the tstat is found to be defective you can ride the bike without it while the one you order under warranty gets to the dealer for a warranty replacement. Either way, you could be riding with no worries in less than 4hrs total labor to inspect everything we've discussed.

·
Banned
100 Posts
When you get the bike figured out, be sure to come back here and let us know what they said the problem was, I for one, would love to know.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Sorry to hear of your problems.

I had the same issue for quite some time, for some reason some tornados are far worse for this than others.

Firstly, check you have the up to date rad cap as per errols website.
Then get it to Bennetts and get them to thoroughly bleed the system. I tried the leaning over method and it never really worked for me, but bennetts sticking its arse 4ft in the air did the trick!

Hopefully that will sort it.

Sadly for me it took a new rad to cure the problem. Mine is an 03 and stood without proper coolant in for a couple of years , leading to a partially blocked rad. Bennetts sourced me a replacement which solved the problem (it still runs hotter than some tho, and still needs proper bleeding come service time)

I very much doubt a head gasket problem, dont ask how i know!

Hopefully nothing more than a good bleed will do the trick.

·
Banned
100 Posts
The fact that the "heat" is actually present during the boilovers tells us that a head gasket is unlikely. I only mentioned that earlier because the way he described the "load" or "no load" conditions was an exact description of how a cooling system behaves when a small head gasket leak occurs.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Well it's booked in with millennium motorcycles (unfortunate supplying dealer) as Bennetts couldn't even get me in till middle of June! (Long waiting list for quality service!)
i will be taking it in Tuesday but god knows when it will get sorted, I'm praying their mechanics are better than their sales staff!!!!

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Hi Andy
Just make sure they know the proper way to bleed the system, basically lifting the back end of the bike up in the air on a bike lift. think all details on errols site.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
yep, thats the way!

·
Banned
100 Posts
A good rider could get that done in a jiffy.........without a bunch of nifty contraptions..........who's gonna try first? Her brakes are up to the task of getting up onto the pointing end, but you'll need real skill to carry along coasting only with no braking forces to act on the cooling system. I got fifty for the first guy to record his bike burping with the rad cap off while on the skinny wheel. Of course "audio only" burps will not fetch a penny, I wanna see the racing stripes develop in your shorts while attemping the feat.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Think il try with a lift and a paddock stand first!!

i went back to her tonight and took the rad cap off to try top her up to see what she'd spewed out since I last tried to bleed it and as soon as I took the cap off it spat out all over as it still seemed to be under pressure? It hasn't done that any other times iv took the cap off, bike is stone cold haven't been out since Tuesday night?

·
Banned
100 Posts
Think il try with a lift and a paddock stand first!!
Yaaaaaa........me too( sad voice)........but I'll try it once on your bike(excited voice)

About hour many hours since you hit the kill switch to the time you popped the cap and It still had pressure?

One things for sure, you certainly don't have leaky water pipes.

·
Banned
100 Posts
Just popped my cap, bikes been sitting for 20hrs at 60°f-65°f(sorry) and SOME pressure escaped when cracked open. Very little but enough to be heard, no liquid at all present at the cap neck. No coolant in the overflow, Perfectly full for MY bike. It never fluctuates or needs topoffs anymore. When it's hot as hell outside and the fans are on(not for long baby I'm gonna save you) there's less than half level on overflow tank indicator.

I completely sorted my problems with this after reading all the post here on the forum, and on Errol's site as well.

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
Had a few issues when I first got mine. But it drained it all out and refilled with rock oil cool XL and water wetter. (Stevet447 recommendations )Not a blip since, If like Monday I've been running at a good speed for a while she gets warmer when I slow in town but the fans kick in and down she goes:rolleyes:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
What was yours doing rick??
Im tempted to the same but spending £40 on coolant etc for it to spit it all out again wouldn't really impress me to be honest!

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
What was yours doing rick??
Im tempted to the same but spending £40 on coolant etc for it to spit it all out again wouldn't really impress me to be honest!
not to spewing but overheating.

just try the water wetter first as it helps spread the heat out so may help shift air pockets.

·
Banned
100 Posts
does the overflow tank have to be completely full before it can run out of the overflow pipe?
There shouldn't be any coolant at all in the EXPANSION tank when the bike is cold. At least that's my experience. There shouldn't even be coolant visible at the filler neck under the cap.

21 - 40 of 80 Posts