Benelli Forum banner
41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Don't really think mines overheating to be honest, it will idle fine and warms up it cuts the fans in the cools it back down fine, it's more a problem of over pressuresing the system when it's getting revved up out on the road even then it still seems not to be getting too hot it must just be building up more pressure as it's getting revved high so it's dumping the coolant and then getting hot due to lack of coolant

·
Banned
100 Posts
Don't really think mines overheating to be honest, it will idle fine and warms up it cuts the fans in the cools it back down fine, it's more a problem of over pressuresing the system when it's getting revved up out on the road even then it still seems not to be getting too hot it must just be building up more pressure as it's getting revved high so it's dumping the coolant and then getting hot due to lack of coolant
Put your levels to that described, and try it out.

What you just described is a blown head gasket.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
There shouldn't be any coolant at all in the EXPANSION tank when the bike is cold. At least that's my experience. There shouldn't even be coolant visible at the filler neck under the cap.

How much coolant would you estimate it takes to fill it till it's visible under the filler cap? Iv been filling it up till it visible, perhaps it's too much

·
Banned
100 Posts
How much coolant would you estimate it takes to fill it till it's visible under the filler cap? Iv been filling it up till it visible, perhaps it's too much
You can fill it to the top of the neck if you like.......or more. It's just going to pump any extra right back out the overflow again and then stay at it's "Happy" level. At standard ambient temps,elevations, etc

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Well droppers off with millennium last Tuesday, phone call today it's all ready to collect.
Great, apparent problem was a distorted radiator cap?? But we've fit a shiny new one and it's fine.

so off I go in the van, collect her bring her home, 20mile down the road coolant everywhere!!!!

clearly not fixed, 2 days off work and £100 in fuel wasted.
will ring them tomorrow but it's clearly going to have to go back again at my bloody expense :(

·
Banned
100 Posts
The important thing here is: Did it actually overheat........or did it just pump out extra coolant because the service techs improperly filled the system and it pumped it out as I said it would, and will continue to do so until it reaches it's "Happy level". Was the needle in the red while this was going on or was it a normal "hot" engine temp?

·
Banned
100 Posts
I can't believe they would give it back to you like that, very poor service. I guess now you know to take it for a ride before paying for service.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
The thing is it ride fine for over 20miles then I got a bit giddy and give it some real beans, this is when the problem occurred, obviously they won't do this on a test ride.

Also so I had intended to go for a ride but I didn't have chance to get my gear before I went for it so took the chance, also not paying for any work due to it being under warranty but it's £50 in diesel each time I go there and back

·
Banned
100 Posts
You still love the bike? No worse than the constant piddling needed when dealing with women. Look at it this way,........if it was a woman, you wouldn't have even got a chance to get on it and pretend twist the throttle while making engine noises with your mouth for £50($70usd?)

Or.........£50 per 20 miles/mins sounds about right, for an uppity one

·
No good with spanners....
MV F3 RC, TNT 899
3,454 Posts
What a bloody nightmare....... Typical of dealers,fix the cheapest problem first.

i know it's a pisser but stick with her,she'll reward you in spades.......... ( hopefully);):rolleyes:

·
Banned
100 Posts
I love the bike, just want to ride it. Weather here has been amazing and I'm stuck without her :(

In the grand scheme of things and all of the technology involved in modern bikes, I don't think a cooling issue will be holding her up for very long. There's only a few things(easily tested) that can be causing your problem. Be thankful that you've been on the ball so to speak with realizing she's hot and not letting her melt t down. Then you'd(they'd?) really be up poops creek with two wet paddles.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Andy , try riding over to Bennetts.
I know they're very busy at moment...but Russ will find time to give you advice and quick once over if needed...plus they can do it under warranty..:D

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
Agree with all of the above, but .stevet457 on here recommended rock cool XL and water wetter for my overheat problems and theve vanished So worth considering although I realise it needs any issues sorting first.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Andy , try riding over to Bennetts.
I know they're very busy at moment...but Russ will find time to give you advice and quick once over if needed...plus they can do it under warranty..:D

No way I can ride it over, I did ring them first but they said as I didn't get the bike from them there own customers come first and it'd be at least 6 weeks before they could book it in.
I'm sure they'd sort it no problem but I can understand that other customers come first :(

·
Banned
100 Posts
If that isn't some kind of ass backward irony.......the good dealer, taking care of their customers first, not trying to gain new customers by screwing their existing customers. You won't find that here in the states...........they could literally care less about you, unless you're shopping for a new bike. You are actually imposing a hassle on them........at least that's the way it feels......I'm talking yamahon-kawazuki, buell, triumph, and the list goes on if you want to get into power equipment, marine equipment........pretty much the standard way of doing business around my neck of the wood.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
The symptoms described do sound very much like my early experiences basically a partially blocked rad (caused we think by long-term storage with water rather than coolant) which coped at moderate speeds but could not handle higher engine speeds and subsequent heat-soak.
Before ripping into the head gasket (as i did) it may be best to try and get hold of another rad and see if that helps?

New rad + proper bleed may just resolve matters

(i should add that i did get my original rad checked out initially. The rad firm reckoned it flowed ok so can only assume whilst it may have been ok by car standards it must have been too marginal on the bike)

41 - 60 of 80 Posts