Benelli Forum banner
61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
Was chatting to Chris (Pike) Sunday regarding this and i would opt for the cheaper option first as in the dedicated coolant and surfactant addative but Chis had the idea of having the original rad elongated by 30-40 mm which would mawhosively increase volume, possible on the TNT !!!! :D clever idea

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Cheers for the replays guys, il give millennium another go with it, then if they still can't sort it il get stuck in myself.

I'm happy enough doing the work just loathe having to do it while it's under warranty, I'd of been straight in otherwise

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Well bit of bad news today it seems Bennetts at Barnsley are no longer carrying out warranty work on benelli' sad they aren't getting paid by motogb.

Not it sure which other dealers this leaves other than millennium to carry out warranty repairs?

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Well that's bad news all round.........:doh::(

Wonder why MotoGB aren't paying.?........:confused::confused::confused:

They had such a high regard for Russ they recruited him when Bennetts had the fire.........
Can understand Russ's position though............times are tight and no need for any extra hassle or unjustified outlay.
It'snot like Bennetts do shoddy work is it?..........:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
Mmmm when forms stop paying it normally means one thing, the cash has stopped flowing into Moto gb maybe it's the end of them.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Apparently they've been having trouble getting paid for a few years. Maybe as they no longer sell benelli's motogb don't want to pay them for doing warranty work either.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Well over a month has passed since starting this thread and I'm still banging my head against the wall with Millenium and there inability to fix the bike! They are still adamant the problem lies within the cooling system yet despite finding no faults with it. Everytime I mention headgasket to them they just don't want to know, I'm sure a quick compression/cylinder leak test would confirm this is either a problem or not and worth doing to at least rule it out.
its been so long now iv actually gone out and bought a pro-arm vfr 750, 25yr old honda still runs like new lol

·
Banned
100 Posts
Absolutely disgusting. How can a motorcycle repair facility lack the ability to diagnose a cooling system problem?
You did say the bike is under warranty didn't you?

Have your lawyer send them a letter.

If bike is under warranty and they won't/can't fix it.........that's illegal.(period)

Hopefully one of the nelli owners in your vicinity with some mechanical knowledge of the bike will step in and give you a hand, at least in the diagnosis.

If you undertake a compression type of test to check the head gasket, make sure the engine is scalding goddam hot when you do it or you might get duped by a bad measurement as the gasket or crack in the head/engine casting might not leak when at ambient temp.

·
Registered
986 Posts
If it's a head gasket problem them a compression/leak down test may show nothing as it's entirely possible that the problem only occurs under the pressure of combustion. The easiest way to check this is to look for signs of combustion products within the coolant. Relatively inexpensive block tester kits are available that use special chemicals that change colour in the presence of these gasses.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
well bikes been away for 6 weeks now, Millenium still don't seem to have even diagnosed the problem. Every time I ring they are "testing" the cooling system and the latest one was they are sending the radiator off to be pressure tested. This is getting to be a total joke now iv lost 2months not been able to use the bike so that's two finance payments at £160 a month and over £150 in diesel taking it there and back plus another £50 as and when it's ever ready to collect.
Thinking of going down the route of trading standards as I don't think this Is a reasonable repair time considering they haven't even diagnosed what is clearly a headgasket problem.
Why didn't I buy a triumph again :( their service was 100% excellent always!

·
Banned
100 Posts
I don't know anything about the Benelli warranty, or any local laws you guys have in place, but we have what is called a "lemon law" , which basically says(in my state) that if you buy a vehicle, be it new or used, if the vehicle is faulty within a time of what I recall is 60 days, state law steps in and forces the dealer to take the car/bike back, replace it equally or refund ALL monies to the buyer.
Do you guys have anything like this in place?
The law was designed to combat things of exactly this nature........it's not a law about "oh I just don't like it as much as I thought I would and I'd like to return it", it 's specifically set up around mechanical/inspection failures and the inability of the dealer that sold you the car/bike to make the vehicle right.
If you're making a payment on a brand new bike......you should have one. Waiting for them to fix your bike is ridiculous.......it was never your bike. The bike is a dud at this point, probably been overheated 50 times between your riding, and their testing. I wouldn't want it back even if it did get fixed and seemed OK. You bought a new bike....you should be entitled to the experience a new bike owner pays for.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Well finally it's back! I have a brand new lump now fitted, they suspect a cracked liner in my old engine and as it's has taken so long they just swapped for a new one.
All to run in again lol

·
Registered
132 Posts
Don't try and fill the expansion tank. Fill at the radiator cap only. The expansion tank is only for expansion. When the bike cools, that will be sucked back into the radiator.
The overflow happens when the bike overheats. Mine did this when I idled it too long (about half an hour). The fans aren't good enough to control the temperature rise when the bike is standing still, at least on my bike. My radiator is far from new though. (Note to one's self: build a tuneup fan)
Why does it spill it's guts?

1. If your coolant level was low to start with, that may contribute to overheating. Bleed the system. Pip posted the link ....
  2. If your fans are not working, that will definitely let it overheat. Check the fuse, and run the diagnostic on TuneECU to confirm.
  3. Check your radiator cap. The original had a washer that was too small and it wouldn't seal properly.
Don't trust your temperature gauge even if it is a rev D or later. It reads low by a long way. When mine spilled it's guts, the gauge wasn't quite in the red. The ECU will get it right though. It was registering 125C from memory.
Hello Engenia after filling and draining my coolant now for the second time because of my water pump oil leek the coolant level in the expansion tank is at its max where before it was inbetween.
Should I leave it alone and how do can I drain it if I had to. Cheers Sammy.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Expansion tank should be empty. Coolant should be just hiding at the swan neck to the rad cap when cold. This all presuming fully bled. Yep, you’ll probably get away with a little in the tank but be careful she doesn’t have a wee when hot as this can cause a coolant outfall.

61 - 80 of 80 Posts