Benelli Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

question, apparently my radiator expansion tank is empty :eek , where it should normally be between MIN and MAX. Now my question (it is for summer and track riding only), is it sufficient that i just open the radiator cap on top, and fill it up with distilled water until the moment i see that the level of fluid in the expansion tank is above MIN?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
There have been lots of posts about the reservoir. Bottom line, if you run the bike with the coolant above the Min mark, the bike will burp coolant when it's warmed up.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
irfuel, forget about the expansion tank. Just top up the radiator. When it heats up, the excess will end up in the expansion tank. When it cools down again, it'll get sucked back into radiator.
Don't be alarmed if it's not between min & max. Check the radiator level when it's cold. You should be able to see the fluid level just below the radiator cap seal.
If you want to bleed it, the procedure is simple -
here

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dont have my bike nearby atm, but can anyone show me maybe through some pics where to check the coolant level? And how do i top up the radiator? Just remove the cap which is under the passenger seat, and pour fluid inthere? Or is it at some other place? And to empty it, just remove the screw at the engine on the left side just below the radiator hose? I have the technical manual, but its not very clear as it refers to certain things on the photo (e.g. remove (2) ) which are not on the photo :\

So if anyone can explain me in detail how to remove all the liquid and fill her up again i would be really happy (i need to do this in order to remove cooling fluid to replace it with water for racetrack usage). I m a bit of a tech noob you know :D

on the link you gave me it says:
- Top up the radiator
- Cap off

How can i top it up with the cap on? :D

Getting confused here ... :rolleyes

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Admittedly it is a bit difficult to top up with the cap on. (I'm modifying the procedure at the moment. It now says:-

- Remove the radiator cap
- Top up the radiator
- Leave the cap off (counter intuitive, I know.)
- Lean the bike as far as you can to the left (just before the fairing touches the ground)
- Stand it up
- Top up the radiator
- Lean the bike as far as you can to the right
- Stand it up
- Top it up again
- Replace the cap

(Give us a few days and I'll upload the new files)

To check the coolant level, remove the radiator cap (under the pillion seat) and peer inside, just like in the old days before expansion tanks. Do it cold though.

how do i top up the radiator? Just remove the cap which is under the passenger seat, and pour fluid in there?
-- YEP

And to empty it, just remove the screw at the engine on the left side just below the radiator hose?
- YEP

My Workshop Manual has a half decent picture on pg 76 which is properly marked. Perhaps there are a few different versions floating about. My document summary gives the author as "Clara74", and the title as "MANOF10 - UK.pmd", and created "11/06/2003 12:49:05"

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's the manual I've got. Bottom LH or RH corner has the characters MF10, which would refer to the pdf title "MANOF10 - UK".
Has anyone seen another version?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
this is the one i got!
it says "remove expansion cap (2)"
now where the h*ll is that thing?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
and also they state
"fill with about 100cc .... through the radiator tap (2)"

and where do i find that one? Its (like the expansion tank cap) not on the pics!

There isnt even an expansion tank cap on my bike imho :\

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Where's my Cap?

Hi Irfuel,

Yeah, it looks like they were planning on having a cap on the expansion bottle when the manual was written but decided it was not required when the bottles were being produced.

If you follow Engenia's instructions you won't go wrong.
;)
Laurence

1 - 10 of 10 Posts