Benelli Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

After waiting for too many years due to a house move and a job change blah-blah, I finally got my LE up to Bennetts to get all the mods and a major service done so I can get to ride it this year (if the rain ever stops!)

A couple of things have come to light which you wonderful folks may be able to help me out with although it's a VERY long shot:

1. The clocks were changed a few years ago which I was aware of before I bought it but it turns out that the LE clocks are different to the standard model and therefore the odometer records mileage around 4 times higher than the distance travelled! Externally they look identical which really doesn't help. I don't suppose anyone out there has a bone fide set of LE clocks they're willing to sell or are aware of any being sold?

2. The stepper motor is a bit "sticky". The revs rise and fall when the bike is brought to a halt at say a junction. Russ reckons that with use this may sort itself out but I thought I'd ask the question if anyone has a spare one and/or if there are any fixes that anyone has successfully tried?

Thanks everyone,

Gareth

·
Super Moderator
7,770 Posts
Good luck with number 1
A strip and clean should sort out number 2

·
5,899 Posts
Doesn't the rear disk on the LE have 1 less bolt than all the rest?
A standard dash should read 5/6 of the actual speed / distance, not higher by 4x.
I wonder if your sensor is dodgy? it may be picking up each bolt twice, once as it arrives, and again as it leaves. That would give you 10 pulses per rev, instead of 5. Still not 4x though.
A speedo healer will fix the mis-match if you have a standard dash, but the 4x? I can't explain.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input Engenia,

Don't take the "4x" as gospel. I haven't got the bike back yet and was paraphrasing what I was told over the phone. Russ reckoned he'd done "about" 7 miles on his usual test route but the odometer had added "about" 31 miles. I didn't think to ask what the speedometer was reading whilst on the test ride but when I last rode it almost 5 years ago it was fine.

I've been thinking about the sensor pick-up too so will ask more questions when they call me with the invoice settlement figure tomorrow (GULP!!).

I'll feedback any further information I get / learn going forward as it may prove useful to others on here in the future.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here we present a very uncommon chance to buy the 2002 Benelli Torando Tre 900 LE extraordinary version cruiser. Number 20 of just 150 at any point made in this model is Brand new and has 0 miles on the clock having been conveyed to its first proprietor by KC Superbikes of Carlisle in its unique Factory container. Having never been enrolled or PDI'd the bike has been dry put away without fuel or even an associated battery as pride of spot in the proprietor's office for as long as its can remember.

·
5,899 Posts
You can test the sensor easily with a voltmeter and a needle to pierce the wire and connect to the copper. Slowly rotate the wheel. You should only get 5 pulses per rev.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The clocks read incorrect as the disc (as per Engenia) has a different amount of bolts.
Use SpeedoHealer v4 (SH) - HealTech Electronics Ltd. (healtech-electronics.com)
You can then calibrate your standard clocks to the LE disc.
Thanks for the link. I've received the bike back from Bennetts only to have had to leave home the following morning for a few weeks due to work so haven't even had a chance to ride it yet!

I thought the speedo was reading correctly the last time I rode it (5 years ago) so when I asked if that looked OK on the test ride Russ said it was "erratic". In addition, he said that the indicator light on the instrument cluster is only working when the left indicator is being used and not the right (the actual indicators all work correctly) so I'm starting to wonder if this could be down to some corrosion issues within the instrument cluster......

I'll report back as soon as I can get out on it and see what's happening for myself.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Thanks for the link. I've received the bike back from Bennetts only to have had to leave home the following morning for a few weeks due to work so haven't even had a chance to ride it yet!

I thought the speedo was reading correctly the last time I rode it (5 years ago) so when I asked if that looked OK on the test ride Russ said it was "erratic". In addition, he said that the indicator light on the instrument cluster is only working when the left indicator is being used and not the right (the actual indicators all work correctly) so I'm starting to wonder if this could be down to some corrosion issues within the instrument cluster......

I'll report back as soon as I can get out on it and see what's happening for myself.
It's been a while since I had my nelli but I'm 95% sure when my stepper went the one from a Triump 955i was a direct replacement and very easy to source.

The one off the TNT has a metal plunger which lasts a lot longer as it doesn't melt when you get a back fire through the throttle bodies.

Try and find the company in the photo attached, they make an aftermarket one listed for the 899 TNT and 1130 TNT (presuming same part)

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
£59.09 | Stepper motor for Benelli TNT1130 TNT 1130

Thanks for the leads on the stepper motor. Of course it's very typical in the automotive industry for manufacturers to use off the shelf components and I couldn't see Benelli (especially being the size they were) going off and designing their own stepper motor so figured that it might be the same as used in a Fiat Punto or something 🤣 The hard bit is finding out what other vehicles do use the same part and it looks like you've done just that 👋👋

Bennetts told me that Maniac Motors has one but want something like 230 Euros for it!!!

I'll check out the manufacturer and cross check the Triumph part. If all else fails there's the AliExpress option 😃👍

Cheers buddy

·
Registered
744 Posts
The motor itself is easy to find. The plunger is almost unique to the benelli. I found a Peugeot stepper will fit if you swap the plunger but the threads that attach the plunger on the one I found were different so I used a thread lock on it. But out of paranoia, I ended up putting the original back in.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The motor itself is easy to find. The plunger is almost unique to the benelli. I found a Peugeot stepper will fit if you swap the plunger but the threads that attach the plunger on the one I found were different so I used a thread lock on it. But out of paranoia, I ended up putting the original back in.
Ah, that's a fly in the ointment......

I stumbled across a YouTube video on the Triumph 955i (the relevant bit is at the beginning):

Interestingly my bike's stepper motor is making all the right noises which may mean nothing of course but the chap mentions leaking or pinched pipes which might be worth me checking too.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Ah, that's a fly in the ointment......

I stumbled across a YouTube video on the Triumph 955i (the relevant bit is at the beginning):

Interestingly my bike's stepper motor is making all the right noises which may mean nothing of course but the chap mentions leaking or pinched pipes which might be worth me checking too.
Looking at that video that looks like an early 955i, I think I got one from a 99' model? Can't be sure and cannot find my old posts from 2013 onwards.

Regarding the Aliexpress one, some parts do come up on there that will save you a fortune, the fuel pump for one is exact :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Finally took the bike out for a ride and here's what I found:

Speedometer: At an indicated 30MPH the speed felt about right. I rode past a roadside speed warning camera that's close to home (the ones that show you your speed but don't trigger a speeding fine) and it flashed up at 33MPH. Speedo over reading which was a surprise. I then rode on a dual carriageway and judging by the other vehicles that were probably doing 70MPH I saw that as expected the speedo was under reading at around the high 50s. I gave it some gas and took it to over 6000 RPM in 6th and it was only reading mid 70s. So the recommended HealTech product could help there. BUT.........

Odometer: This is the very alarming discovery. At an indicated 30MPH the bike was clicking up 1/10th of a mile EVERY SECOND! My ride was about 40 minutes long and in that time I'd clocked up almost 200 miles!! Clearly the electronics are different between the versions of the instrument clusters. If only I could get a circuit diagram I could give it and the instrument cluster to my work colleagues who are electronics hardware designers/engineers and they'd probably be able to come up with a solution. In the meantime I'm going to disconnect the sensor for obvious reasons.

Stepper Motor: On a happier note, this seemed to be behaving properly. I came to a stop a number of times at junctions etc. with the engine up to (and a bit above in some places) normal operating temperature and the idle sat steadily at around 1500 RPM with no sign off stalling so maybe that's sorted itself out.

All that aside, what a visceral experience it is riding these bikes. The Arrows race can is fitted and that combined with the induction roar is just aural sex! But you guys all now that anyway 😉

·
Registered
744 Posts
As people have previously said are the disc bolt heads standard size? Is the clearance to the bolts standard? Is the sensor faulty? Are there any bad connections between sensor and dash? Is the dash faulty? Those are your possibilities for the inconsistency because even if the number of bolts are wrong, the relationship between real and indicated speed would be consistent even if wrong. And from what you have said some of the idiot lights are iffy.

·
5,899 Posts
At an indicated 30MPH the speed felt about right ...... and judging by the other vehicles that were probably doing 70MPH
You need to quantify it with something accurate, like your GPS, and use science to resolve the issue.
.... the recommended HealTech product could help there. BUT.........
Not until you find out what is going on
At an indicated 30MPH the bike was clicking up 1/10th of a mile EVERY SECOND
The speed and distance are tightly linked. Facomsa have added a fudge to the speed. On Nell, if I correct the distance, the speed reads high. If I correct the speed, the distance reads low.
No idea why they did this. It's a PITA, and it can't be fixed.

I rather suspect your dash is crook, but can't say for sure without hard data.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You need to quantify it with something accurate, like your GPS, and use science to resolve the issue.

Not until you find out what is going on

The speed and distance are tightly linked. Facomsa have added a fudge to the speed. On Nell, if I correct the distance, the speed reads high. If I correct the speed, the distance reads low.
No idea why they did this. It's a PITA, and it can't be fixed.

I rather suspect your dash is crook, but can't say for sure without hard data.
Yeah my next move was to try and rig up something to hold my GPS to get correct data on the speed.

Thanks for the heads-up regarding speed/distance anomaly. That'll save me time trying to work that one out!

I agree that something very strange is happening in the dash so will definitely be looking into that. But for now I think I'll just ride the bike whilst the sun is shining 😉

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Have you tried removing and cleaning the sensor? I know on cars at the moment and my Ducati that there are a lot of sensor failures and random errors and it's all come down to magnetic metal filings gumming up the sensors. (brake pads are so cheaply made now that asbestos isnt included. We have cleaned some and they have been fine, others we have clipped a magnetic shield on the cable to reduce interference and that's also worked (I had an issue on my clocks, cannot remember what it was but a clip on shield sorted it too).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts