Benelli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, to all, just got my new (to Me) Tornado in Green and Silver of course. It is just great but I wanted some advice about it if someone could oblige.

1, Is it just mine or are they all hard/impossible to get into neutral whilst at a standstill. gears are lovely otherwise, very smooth changes.

2, how do I change the temp reading from Farenheit to celcius on the display.

3, what tyres are recommended, road use only, sensible rider.

Thanks in advance, Steve.

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
Hi Steve and welcome to the forum matey

1, Is it just mine or are they all hard/impossible to get into neutral whilst at a standstill. Yip, but you'll very quickly get used to it and start knocking it into neutral before you come to a stop

2, how do I change the temp reading from Farenheit to celcius on the display. Press the 'Mode' button in for around 20 seconds then you should be able to select temperature, MPH kph settings. (note, the change usually happens when you release the button, not when you press it in)

3, what tyres are recommended, road use only, sensible rider.
I'll leave this to the others to answer As I usually trade mine in for another new one before the tyres are needing changed :D

·
Premium Member
4,429 Posts
i was in the process of listing answers but like the genie from the lamp - Laurence got there !! well done laurence - my first Tornado was fantastic at going into neutral but after new basket etc was a tad difficult. suppose i was a lucky one .

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Laurence,
Thanks for the welcome and the prompt reply to my probably obvious questions.
Very pleased with the bike and glad to be on the forum.
Can I trouble you for one more ask, my bike has only 4 thou miles on clock and the standard arrow can blows a little around the riveted ends, is this normal.
Any other blatantly obvious advice would be greatfully received by me, i.e. is the engine always that metallically noisy ?
best regards Steve.

·
ENGLAND FOREVER
1,565 Posts
:D as said, Mr W got there first :bow: as for tyres, i have Michelin pilot power 2ct`s on my RS, always good.

·
ENGLAND FOREVER
1,565 Posts
forgot to say welcome to the forum mate:D :D :D

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
Hi Steve, It's only obvious if you know the answer :D

the standard arrow can blows a little around the riveted ends, is this normal. Get a tube of high temperature silicon sealer from Halfords (Loctite 5699) and force some into the cracks (oooh matron!!!) and smooth off any excess. The stuff dries grey so you won't even notice it

Any other blatantly obvious advice would be greatfully received by me, i.e. is the engine always that metallically noisy ? That's not NOISE, that's music that is :rolling:

Keep visiting the forum matey and you will pick up lots of useful information about you new toy ......and a whole lotta drivel into the bargain :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
4,429 Posts
I also have 2ct's on my RS which is exactly the same as Lee's (luvverly). some people have reported cans not being perfect in terms of seal around said area, the engine gets better when revved(any history of updates ie clutch etc with yours ?)

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all, very welcoming. Speak again soon, no doubt for more advice.
P.S, it is indeed music, bye.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Me again ,missed reply about updates, only ones its had is the new core plug and tilt switch mods, are there more ???

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
Stevie, let me introduce you to the 'Bible' of all things Benelli :bow:

Have a look at the 'recals' sheet in the 'General' section and check to see if your bike VIN number is listed. You may be lucky and find that the known mods have been done already :confused:

·
Registered
512 Posts
Welcome and glad to see Laurence is already keeping you straight...

The neutral problem is usually the first thing you notice quickly followed by the horror of your first attempt at a u-turn! If you can get used to those you're laughing. The knocking still worries me sometimes as I just can't understand how that can be a healthy noise when idling but it is!

Had the exhaust issue and Laurence's solution is spot on and very easy to do.

I have a couple of discs...one labelled workshop manual, the other owner's manual...(I've only used the owners manual so not sure if in fact they are the same thing) Drop me a PM if you'd like a copy of either and I'll burn onto a disc for you.

cheers

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
...or download them from there!:doh: :doh: :doh:

I think I actually paid for the workshop manual from a guy on e-bay before I found this forum...what a tit I am!

·
5,934 Posts
First of all, welcome to our forum. Great bunch of fellas here, and still small enough to not get lost in it.
.. the standard arrow can blows a little around the riveted ends, is this normal.
Here's how I did it.
is the engine always that metallically noisy ?
Benelli made no attempt to dampen the cam chain & clutch noises. Triumph uses great slabs of rubber inside the clutch cover & over the gearbox.
Treat it like a Ducati - you'll get used to it. :)

·
Benelli Wannabe !
6,865 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
benelli1776

Hi to all,am i the first member from New Zealand ,in answer to Stevet 457 re neutral, i found either knock it into neutral before you stop, or stop the motor ,locate neutral and restart,re tyres,super corsers are fantastic but of course living as you do in a very pluvial climate you may find 2cts more to your liking ,regards Brent.

·
5,934 Posts
.. are they all hard/impossible to get into neutral whilst at a standstill.
Mine was next to impossible to engage while at a standstill. I did find once, that the lock nut on the lever was loose, allowing the cable to slacken, and the clutch plates to not move as far as they should.

The real improvement came with changing to a hydraulic clutch. That allowed the plates to move further, reducing the drag. It depends on the relative sizes of your master & slave cylinders though. Mine ended up requiring more lever force than the cable system - a lot more. Hence the longer travel.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts