Benelli Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The bike has been standing still for years. My fuel pump is not working. My starter (new) does not turn. Lights in the instruments, but needels dont moove. Have tried with two different fully charged 12V car batteries. I have short cut the starter relay with a screw driver to see if the engine turns - no reaction at all. Any ideas ?

·
Registered
909 Posts
My fuel pump is not working. My starter (new) does not turn. No lights in the instruments and no reaction at all. Have tried with two different fully charged 12V car batteries. Any ideas ?

Does anybody know where I can purchase a fuel pump in Europe for a 2003 model if a new one is needed? Or may bee some one have a used one in working condition ?
Look at Ebay de (Germany) there are several secondhand .

·
Registered
744 Posts
Check the relays under the seat. Check all fuses. It sounds more than a fuel pump. Do you have a friend with a multimeter?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I agree that it could be one of the relays. I have changed one before 10 years ago. Fuses at the start relay are fine. I have a multimeter, but need advice. Or if some one could guide me to which relay could be defect.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well, I guess that I have to put the Tornado back in the corner of my garage with a cover, as the starting issue was not able to be solved in our forum. Thank you to the few who tried to help.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Well, I guess that I have to put the Tornado back in the corner of my garage with a cover, as the starting issue was not able to be solved in our forum. Thank you to the few who tried to help.
Where are you ?
I have a spare pump and have learnt an awful lot about the Tornado and its various issues over the years , would help if you are in my part of the country .

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Hi Have you checked the all the ground wires are still in good order ?
also have you looked to see if the main fuse at the starter relay is ok ?
seems very strange that you have tried a spanner /screwdriver across it and there is no action from the starter motor .
there is another possibility that a chip in clocks has failed due to age ect , these can be fixed .
I’m assuming that you don’t have an alarm fitted ? If you do bypass it .

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Where are you ?
I have a spare pump and have learnt an awful lot about the Tornado and its various issues over the years , would help if you are in my part of the country .
Thank you, I am in Denmark.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Have you checked the all the ground wires are still in good order ?
also have you looked to see if the main fuse at the starter relay is ok ?
seems very strange that you have tried a spanner /screwdriver across it and there is no action from the starter motor .
there is another possibility that a chip in clocks has failed due to age ect , these can be fixed .
I’m assuming that you don’t have an alarm fitted ? If you do bypass it .
Hi Rick, ground wires has been cleaned and checked for good connection.
The two main fuses at starter relay are both fine.
There is the standard Meta system alarm fitted. How do I bypass the alarm?
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Hi Rick, ground wires has been cleaned and checked for good connection.
The two main fuses at starter relay are both fine.
There is the standard Meta system alarm fitted. How do I bypass the alarm?
Thanks.
Have a read of this thread for some guidance. I’ve not had an alarm on my bike ever they always seem to fail big time .

·
Registered
744 Posts
It’s a good point Rick makes that the starter should turn if you short across the starter relay. If nothing happens is battery u/s or bad connection or duff starter

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
It’s a good point Rick makes that the starter should turn if you short across the starter relay. If nothing happens is battery u/s or bad connection or duff starter
Possibly the wrong leads are on the starter solenoid connection

·
5,899 Posts
Have tried with two different fully charged 12V car batteries. I have short cut the starter relay with a screw driver to see if the engine turns - no reaction at all.
Something very basically wrong if that fails!
Try simplifying it even further, by touching +ve directly to the starter terminal.

Instrument lights take very little current, so wouldn't be bothered by a small earth resistance, a.k.a. corrosion, but anything high current, like a starter motor, or even fuel pump, will not work with even a small amount.
My bet is on corrosion that's at the heart of this, if the bike was fine when it was laid up.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
By touching + directly at starter terminal did not turn the starter motor. Only a relay is clicking.
Do you mean corrosion at starter motor terminals ?

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
By touching + directly at starter terminal did not turn the starter motor. Only a relay is clicking.
You need to touch a positive directly to the terminal on the starter motor itself first then move upstream to find what’s not working .

·
5,899 Posts
I meant corrosion at any electrical contact.
Corrosion is kept in check on vehicles when they move. Slight vibration and flexing keeps it away. When standing still for extended periods - years in your case - especially in moist climates, corrosion should be expected. Just look on this forum at the number of posts that have been made by Brits (& Europeans) about electrical problems that have popped up after winter, when the bikes are dragged out for the riding season. You don't see that here in Oz because we don't need to "winter" our bikes.

Don't forget the -ve side. The path back to the battery must also be pristine.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I meant corrosion at any electrical contact.
Corrosion is kept in check on vehicles when they move. Slight vibration and flexing keeps it away. When standing still for extended periods - years in your case - especially in moist climates, corrosion should be expected. Just look on this forum at the number of posts that have been made by Brits (& Europeans) about electrical problems that have popped up after winter, when the bikes are dragged out for the riding season. You don't see that here in Oz because we don't need to "winter" our bikes.

Don't forget the -ve side. The path back to the battery must also be pristine.
I second that , the earth side is most important. Within the main harness there are lots of common earths that are crimped together in the trunking leads. they are not shrunk insulated or soldered. They corrode !
There are five individual black earths that ground , either back to the battery (two from memory ) and three others that ground to the engine or frame , plus all the combined (joints ) within the loom itself..
I had long search ,cutting the loom apart to find a broken main earth wire, within the insulated cable .
The symptoms were very similar to yours , but my starter spun the motor with direct feed to the terminals.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
You can get a new relay from AliExpress for about £10.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Take out the alarm. Meta alarms have an internal battery that WILL fail after 3 - 5 years (although mine lasted 10). When it fails the bike will be immobilised. If you have the original blanking plug use that as a guide otherwise there are only 4 wires that need to be connected in two pairs. Easy job.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts