Benelli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched the threads for a few hours and couldn't find the one with the LE that blew an engine. Being a Newbie, I figured I'd ask the pro's. I'm just a little concerned that they put some of the tre's internals into the last few LE's to get them out the door. Please put my fears to rest as I love the bike. I think I remember it being an earlier LE. I was also curious about the rotor spacing for the Moto Corse radial mounts and calipers. It appears to require about 5mm each more offset. Has anyone else done this or know who to ask before I take my baby apart?? I'd like to have the rotors in hand first. You can see the lower legs in my album. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks again. Life would be tough without this forum.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hello ..... that would be me with the expired LE engine.

It was a 2003 bike that had the engine put together in 2002 by Moto Morini. I think that quality control was not what it should have been at that time as they were getting the machines out of the door for WSB homologation purposes.

I just got unlucky. The dealer that stripped the engine told me that the small circlip that holds in the middle piston gudgeon pin (I think you all call them "wrist" pins over there), had cam out allowing the gudgeon pin to float out ..... then everything made contact with everything else. The bike had only done 3,500 miles.

Neither me nor any of the lads and lassies who dealt with the problem had ever heard of anything like that happening before. I am putting it down to a complete one off freak incident.

Benelli took an engine from a 900 that was sitting unsold in the factory, stripped it down to the bare essentials, made sure all of the modifications had been done and then rebuilt it in LE specification using the dry clutch and magnesium parts from my busted LE engine. He presto, a solid, dependable, more powerful, smoother brand new gem of a motor. The boys at the factory and Three Cross Motorcycles in England did a great job. Never been happier and will never sell it.

Don't worry .... the new engines assembled by Benelli are top notch and tough as old boots.

Enjoy .....

·
1,841 Posts
Anyone panicing about engine problems should consider this....
As far as i am aware all LE and euro tre including RS engines were built by Motomorini.
Also as far as I am aware the LE engine is apart from dry clutch,magnesium covers and slotted camsprockets the same as the tre.
Whatever factory builds the engine does not really make any difference. If benelli are now building inhouse you can bet that the assemblers are ex employees of Motomorini,as it is just down the road.
Mechanical failures can happen for various reasons on any engine but overall I believe Benelli are no worse than most others.
If the LE internals are different Perhaps Rusty or Dodgy could let us Know what the differences are ?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is why I love this forum. People who have been there and done that know far more than those who just read about it. Mine was the last LE built(2003 also) so I was a little nervous. The cases (sand cast instead of die cast)and some internals are different than the standard tre. I can't tell you how much I appreciate you guy's for helping out the new(read scared) Benelli owners on this forum.:D What number LE is yours DUre?

Thanks again,
Joe

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So they were probably on the same bottle of wine while building both our bikes:doh:

·
Unofficial Factory Tester
166 Posts
LE Engines

Anyone panicing about engine problems should consider this....
As far as i am aware all LE and euro tre including RS engines were built by Motomorini.
Also as far as I am aware the LE engine is apart from dry clutch,magnesium covers and slotted camsprockets the same as the tre.
Whatever factory builds the engine does not really make any difference. If benelli are now building inhouse you can bet that the assemblers are ex employees of Motomorini,as it is just down the road.
Mechanical failures can happen for various reasons on any engine but overall I believe Benelli are no worse than most others.
If the LE internals are different Perhaps Rusty or Dodgy could let us Know what the differences are ?
For what its worth...

I remember being told or reading somewhere that the Piston rods in the LE are from a Germany company Pankl and that the pistons are a Ti version.

cheers

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Tax. It would be nice to know there are little extra goodies in the engine

·
1,841 Posts
I suppose the way to find out the differences would be to see the full parts list, its about time Benelli made it available to owners !

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
Hi Guys, the pistons and connecting rods in the LE are exactly the same as in the standard TRE

·
1,841 Posts
Yes I can confirm that the rod and piston dimensions are identical, but may be better quality,the valve timing and size and lift is the same,as is the gear ratios. I did notice the sump is smaller I suppose for the exhaust to have more clearance or better dimensions. PS I have been looking through the workshop manuals.:ele:

·
166 Posts
Dimensions are the same but better quality rods and pistons

Yes I can confirm that the rod and piston dimensions are identical, but may be better quality,the valve timing and size and lift is the same,as is the gear ratios. I did notice the sump is smaller I suppose for the exhaust to have more clearance or better dimensions. PS I have been looking through the workshop manuals.:ele:
So I was led to believe.

So I posted this back in 2005

http://www.benelliforum.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-916.html

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The main concern is the parts that break on the standard Tre like the starter pinion gear(I think thats what I saw a picture of).

·
1,841 Posts
Hi JLSB8, The middle gear on the clutch of the tre is the one that was increased from 6mm to 8mm,it was a design fault that was recognised early,but some bikes got missed for whatever reason from the replacement. RS had 8mm from the start. I have not heard of a LE with a broken middle gear, but if you look at the manual it appears that the LE middle gear may be the 6mm size? I do not know of any being replaced or broken?,but remember they are not generally used much. If i owned a LE I would ask Benelli direct if there was ever an update for the LE gears.
PS I am not trying to scare you ! ;)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Too late Colin, already crapped my pants:( I put the call in and should here back next week. I am almost positive the clutch basket inner gear is different, it's the starter pinion I'm worried about. Should be an easy fix though. Has anybody else swapped out their lower fork legs? Looks like they just thread on as well as the cartridge. Thanks again guy's.

·
Registered
73 Posts
oops ... slip of the digit ... I have #032 not #132 as stated earlier.

Seems like it may not have been the same Friday afternoon as #150 after all. :)

·
166 Posts
LE engine write up which I had saved

Specifications:
Benelli Tornado (WSB version)

Engine
Type: Three cylinder 4-stroke with anti vibration balance shaft, engine
tilted forward at 15 degrees
Displacement: 898cc
Bore and Stroke: 88 x 49.2
Compression ratio: 13:1
Valves: Gear driven DOHC 12 valve, 36mm inlet, 30mm exhaust

Internals: Pankl Titanium rods, Asso forged pistons with two rings
Firing order: 240 degree crank fires 1,3,2.

Induction: Fuel injection, with EFI and three 55mm sandcast Dell'Orto
throttle bodies. One external injector per cylinder, 18 litre sealed airbox
pressure fed by forward mounted induction ducts

Claimed power: Around 170bhp @ 13,000 rpm

Transmission: Cassette style six-speed box and dry slipper style clutch

·
Registered
73 Posts
JLSB8,

Do those radial brake mountings in your picture gallery fit your Ohlins LE forks?

Are they a retro-fit ? If so ... where did you get them?

Cheers .......

1 - 20 of 29 Posts