Benelli Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey folks.... after 3 weeks without the Tornado, and using the Sv non-stop, getting back on it today was a painful shock.
Now, I'm not a limp-wristed type, but i got stuck in stop-go city traffic yesterday and it got to the point where i actually couldn't use the clutch and had to pull in to take a break and let the muscles stop spasming.....

Its a damn shame the bike has such a heavy clutch because it's really taking the fun out of it for me. According to a forum search, fitting a hydraulic clutch leaves it as heavy....which is something i cant fathom...surely the point of fitting a hydraulic system is to take the workload off the human element...

The engineering of the heavyness, is it the clutch springs, or the clutch lever/moment arm type set-up?
If it is then extending the lever on the engine side would lighten the pull?
Why does fitting a hydraulic system leave it heavy..and why hasn't it been adjusted to work better? Even if the bar mounted cylinder is too small, it could be fed to a secondary "multiplier" cylinder and then to the clutch mounted pot ?

Anyone any thoughts? I must measure the force needed to pull in the clutch tomorrow......

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I have the solution - buy an le the clutch is loads lighter :D I used to have a tre and I must admit it surprised me - thought dry clutches were supposed to be heavier??

·
1,841 Posts
James,when I played with my clutch stack height it also changes the preload on the clutch springs,with the stack reduced the preload was less and the clutch was noticably lighter.It did not slip under acceloration,so I think you should be able to fit lighter springs. It will be just a matter of finding some that fit. The LE clutch is prob lighter due to less lift required compared to a wet clutch with more drag from the oil.
colin.
PS the tornado has 2 sets of 3 springs,you could try fitting 2 sets of the softer rated springs.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Colin, I'm sure you will have fondled an LE I can think of ;)
...but your explanation doesnt really explain the radical difference. I can work my LE's clutch with my little finger!!! (not boasting about my little finger either :D )

I had wondered whether a hydraulic conversion (Tre) could be made a lot lighter?

·
3,085 Posts
it can

I think you;ll find the heavy hydraulic conversion relates to Errol's, mod.
I suggest Contacting Alex at Maniac Motors or Evoluzione in the US, I think you will find it would result in a clutch pull will be a lot lighter.
MM sell two kits too, a full blown custom one or a Moto morini conversion.

·
5,934 Posts
Yep, the heavy hydraulic clutch is mine. If I changed the master cylinder to one with a smaller piston diameter, it would lighten up, but it would also reduce the clutch movement & increase the drag, making it harder to find neutral.
I like it the way it is. Left wrist is bigger than my right though :D (by 5mm)

James, buy yourself a wrist exerciser. You'll be amazed at how little time it takes to build up the strength in you left hand.

(Bob, Al, I've just sown the seeds of a number of jokes - knock yourselves out lads :bow: )

·
Benelli Wannabe !
6,865 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, wide open there Errol ! :)
I would suggest he swops his Wanking hand to his left hand ! ;)
:rolling:
You're ***uming im right handed :)
**** me 300quid for a clutch conversion.... I bought a hand excerciser a few years ago Errol..martial arts related reasons, but the problem is that I couldnt find something that excercises your hand with your fingers almost fully extended. iirc you used to be able to get an "eagle claw" type excerciser for martial arts grips....but couldnt find one anywhere.

·
1,841 Posts
Yes Bob you are right there is a m***ive difference in the effort needed between the LE and the TRE.I seem to feel the RS is even stiffer than the TRE as well,but the manual gives equal spring spec. The LE has 6 springs of 180n where the TRE has 3 at 170n and 3 at 230n so this may explain the LE lighter clutch also? I suppose that the dry plates need less pressure due to greater friction between plates.
I guess when I get old and frail I will have to buy an LE :)
colin..

·
T900 TRE is the plate!
434 Posts
I guess when I get old and frail I will have to buy an LE
colin..

Guess you want us LE owners to bite? :p
Dave

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
.....I guess when I get old and frail I will have to buy an LE :)
..when ?? :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

can someone tell Colin, it's happened already pmsl

·
Registered
67 Posts
clutch

i have same probs.ive got standard tre 06.im thinking maybe fitting an adjustable lever(mine has,nt got one) would at least mean the amount of pull would,nt be as great. am i clutching(sorry ) at straws

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
James,
I'm assuming that if you have a non adjustable clutch lever you also have the modified bracket and steel arm on the n/side of the engine.

Mine is an original alloy arm and adjustable lever, and when compared next to each other the modified one is quite a lot stiffer, but gives you more chance of getting neutral, you could try going back to the original, if you can cope with no neutral at standstill it works fine, Steve.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts