Benelli Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents,

Today I attempted to fit a Motrax, quick release fuel coupling to my LE. I don't have the tool to disconnect at the tank, so I snipped the fuel line where I wanted to have the quick connect located. (Mistake #1).

Once I got the tank off I cut 40mm off the tank side hose and attempted to heat the fuel line in a cup of boiling water to allow one half of the quick connect to be fitted.

Lo and behold, the fuel line has a hard plastic liner and is not keen to allow the insertion of the quick connect, even at a higher temperature.

I have not been rough with it yet ….. maybe I need to boil the hose a bit more to make it more supple.

Has anyone carried out this modification, and if so, what was the procedure used?
Have all of the Tornado fuel line got the hard plastic liner?
I know I have the correct quick connect.

Cheers .....

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
Oh dear........that's it buggered now then and it'll never work again, however, I am prepared to buy it off you for a sky-diver. I can always use it for spare parts :rolling:

All the fuel lines have the plastic inner:-

What you need to do is find something that is a little bit wider than the plastic tube and work it inside the pipe until it opens it enough to fit the 'barbs' of the fuel line coupler. I used a bit of hardwood dowling and just rounded off the end to help it to get into the plastic pipe. Work it in so that you widen enough of the pipe to take the depth of the fuel coupler. It's a bit of a fiddly job but you will be able to manage it with a bit of effort.

Be carefull that you don't catch the edge of the plastic pipe when you are pushing in the fuel coupler as there is a risk that you will shove it up the hole (if you pardon the expression) and it may concertina inside the rubber hose and effect the flow.

The other option is to exchange your 8mm coupler for a 6mm one from Touratech:-

http://www.touratech.com/shops/008/product_info.php?products_id=3974

Good luck :clap:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Laurence,

Thanks for the quick feed back. Good to know that I have not been trying to put a square peg in a round hole, so to speak.
I suppose I should stop pussy footing around at try a bit harder to get the thing in.

I will have a go at heating it up again before starting to swedge the line with the ball end of a "too big" Allen key. Then I will give it some what for.
Do you think it will help if I open the garage door and take a run at it :)

I am looking forward to the day when I know enough about these machines to offer up some help to others. All I know at the moment is how to connect a tune boy and what it feels like when the middle rod goes through the lower crank case at three figure speeds :doh: ... but that is not much use to anyone.

Cheers again .......

·
5,931 Posts
...swage the line with the ball end of a "too big" Allen key....
That's what I used. To quote myself :)
"The hose itself is very stiff. The internal diameter is 6 mm, so it must be expanded before fitting the barb. I forced an 8mm ball ended Allen (hex) key, into the core to expand it. The length of the expanded section must be enough to allow the barb to slide in full length. If not, the barb is not strong enough to complete the job. It will remain too short."

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Hi guys. I'm a new boy, and this is my first contribution, for what it's worth. I have just bought a 2006 Tornado, and have done this mod. As the coupler's from Motrax are only available in 8mm - 3/8" actually, according to them - I bought a 6mm one from M&P; same price, £19.99. Even that was a bit of a shove to get in, so my thought is that the larger one is just too large. Whilst I know that others have fitted them, my concern would be that the inner rigid pipe may split where it swages down from the over-expanded section to the standard I.D. As the correct size is available, best to use that....?? Flog the 8mm one on eBay..??

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good info. Benny.
I have ordered the 6mm one. I will have a go at fitting it next week and let you all know how it went after trying both.

·
5,931 Posts
..concern would be that the inner rigid pipe may split where it swages down from the over-expanded section to the standard I.D..
It won't happen quickly. Mines been fine for going on 2 yrs.
Might be a problem when the rubber starts hardening up in another 5 yrs or so, but then I'll just replace it :D
The 8mm connector has a 6mm bore - same as the pipe. So won't restrict the fuel flow like a 6mm one will. Not a problem unless you want max hp though.

·
Member - Avatar by MDIB
199 Posts
Laurence,

Thanks for the quick feed back. Good to know that I have not been trying to put a square peg in a round hole, so to speak.
I suppose I should stop pussy footing around at try a bit harder to get the thing in.

I will have a go at heating it up again before starting to swedge the line with the ball end of a "too big" Allen key. Then I will give it some what for.
Do you think it will help if I open the garage door and take a run at it :)

I am looking forward to the day when I know enough about these machines to offer up some help to others. All I know at the moment is how to connect a tune boy and what it feels like when the middle rod goes through the lower crank case at three figure speeds :doh: ... but that is not much use to anyone.

Cheers again .......
Youre one up one me mate I just figured out how to put the stand down, you just flick it with your foot.........ingenious

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
The 8mm connector has a 6mm bore - same as the pipe. So won't restrict the fuel flow like a 6mm one will. Not a problem unless you want max hp though.[/QUOTE]

I don't think this should be a problem, as the 'L' shaped connector at the tank end of the pipe has a 4mm inside diameter, the same as the new connector, so I guess that the fuel flow rate has been calculated for a 4mm I.D. I certainly haven't noticed a drop in power or a mis-fire at full throttle, so I think it's O.K.

G

·
Youre one up one me mate I just figured out how to put the stand down, you just flick it with your foot.........ingenious
M Y F O O T :doh: . . . . . . .DAME IT...WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THAT. 20 YEARS I'VE BEEN BENDING OVER TO PUSH IT DOWN WITH MY HAND (OOO-ER MISSIS).

·
Registered
1,680 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well .... I did not think that rang true either .... I thought about it this way .....

How long would it take to drain the tank through a 6mm hole .... not long, so I thought if the fuel rail needs more gas at a higher rate than that I can't afford to run the bloody thing.

Anyway ..... glad that's cleared up. Kept me busy one morning running into work in the car. :)
(the thing still has not arrived from Touratech yet)

·
5,931 Posts
Stuff me mushrooms

Is that some twisted Australian sexual practise Engenia.. :rolling:
It's Hazel Hawke's favourite expletive, or the folks from Cactus Island would have us believe so. Hazel is the ex-wife of our beloved ex-Prime Minister, Bob Hawke. Bob had the dubious honour of holding the record for sculling a beer at Oxford (I think it was Oxford).
http://www.cactus.com.au/

1 - 18 of 18 Posts