Benelli Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
VIN#ten
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is revision two for the suspension settings!

As suspected the preload was in need of adjustment. As a consequence I had to tweak the damping settings, too. Here is how my default settings are:

Front:
Preload 12 turns from all open (+5 more)
Rebound damping 1.5 turns (back from 2 to the original)
Compression damping 1.5 turns (back from 2 to the original)
Rear:
Spring length 135mm (- 3mm less, but the measurement may be inaccurate; it is 16 full threads disposed on the tyre side)
Rebound 7 clicks (1 closer to the original)
Compression 8 clicks.

The practical measurements are, tank full, rider fully geared:
Front:
Fork travel 120mm (measured along stanchion tube)
Bike only 88mm
Bike w rider 83mm
Rear:
Measured from exhaust side, from axle hole top to saddle key lock hole top.
Free, unloaded height 581mm
Bike only 567mm
Bike w rider 545mm

So lifted the ride height in the front almost 1cm and in the back with 2cm. After these changes I am almost back to the normal damping settings. The good news is that now the springs are, especially in the back, using also the softer part of their travel (I believe). Gone are the days of well shaken and stirred kidneys. These settings improved also straight running stability and make her turn very nicely.

Hi Marco,

have you had your Nelli's suspension set up properly?

I've done some 3.500 kms, so joints are probably run-in. I find the following pretty good for local, bumpy road conditions, excellent for smooth tarmac, and superb in comparison to the original settings on gravel (yes, you read right :eek:):

Key: Factory -> Bene

Front:
Preload 7 turns from all open (travel left 80mm) -> The same*
Rebound damping 1.5 turns -> 2 turns from all close.
Compression damping 1.5 turns -> 2 turns from all close.
Rear:
Spring length 138mm (measured as in the manual) -> 138 mm**
Rebound 6 clicks -> 8 clicks from all close
Compression 6 clicks -> 8 clicks from all close

I am 95-110kg in riding gear + rugsack. The back suspension has only one adjustment for compression damping (blue knob), not two as (?) in earlier models or as mentioned in the manual.

* She seems to be head-heavy, so I may tighten it half a turn-one turn more.

**I'll still have to adjust the preload of rear suspension. It is sagging a bit too much, I think. Hard to measure accurately, though.

Factory settings for damping are far too tout, especially in the back.

·
Registered
83 Posts
As we're on settings, does someone have advice on the settings for the 900? I've not touched mine since i've picked her up, but she seems spot on altough i think the arse end could do with some tinkering as she does wiggle around a bit when powering up from the apex. I'm below average height(5ft6) and if i skip breakfast around 10.5 stone lol. thanks guys

·
VIN#ten
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As we're on settings, does someone have advice on the settings for the 900? I've not touched mine since i've picked her up, but she seems spot on altough i think the arse end could do with some tinkering as she does wiggle around a bit when powering up from the apex. I'm below average height(5ft6) and if i skip breakfast around 10.5 stone lol. thanks guys
Some general advice:
Most of the time some wiggling as you described is an indication of well set suspension (depends how much you crank her;) ). But if you'd like to try some other settings, please record the present, good settings, so you can always revert to the state where you left.

You could start tinkering with brute force, trying to tighten rebound in the back with one click and feel if that helps, or makes things worse.

Or, a more scientific approach is to start with ride height adjustments, and only after that adjusting dampers from the defaults (in the workshop manual downloadable from this site). In any case, these Italian things feel the change, so don't exaggarate with the adjustments, but stay on the safe side (small incremental changes only, test ride with care).:)

·
903 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
hey,
I did not change it yet ; I am leaving on a tour in the vosges area this WE and will see if the current settings are ok there:

If not, then I will do some changes as I have another ride out the WE after.

I will let you know.
well, the factory are definitly too arsh for me - I am going to change this this afternoon.

·
Registered
46 Posts
900 suspension standard settings according to manual

Gentlemen,
Again I have the problem of not speaking and writing English so well but I will try to write something understandable. Apologies for any mistakes in advance.
I also wasn't happy with the supension settings of my 900 and I decided that the standard setting were a good place to start from, because I did not know what adjustments the previous owner had made.
I found out that, according to the owners manual, the standard configuration of the rear suspension compression damper hydraulic device is 18 clicks (starting from the "all close" or "+" position). However the total range of the rule is 16 clicks :confused:. Looking closer at the picture on this page (51) of the owners manual showed that the item numer (at least I assume it is the item number) on the rule is AA1058. Number on the device of my bike is AA1419.
My questions are:
1) Does any of you guys have the same difference in itemnumer and same range of the rule?
2) Does this mean there is an error in the manual and does this also mean that the settings as given for the other parts of the supenion are unreliable? (Wouldn't surprise me, we're driving Benelli, right? :rolleyes:)
3) Is the starndard setting of the compression damper "all open"?
3) Does anyone have a good suggestion for the suspension settings of 900 Tre (asked earlier this topic)? I am about 90 kgs (suit etc. included, honestly :D ) and like to enter corners pretty fast and aggressively so my riding style could be described as sportive.
Thanks very much in advance for your replies.
Regards, Emilio

1 - 9 of 9 Posts