Benelli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been rebuilding the Tre and have it all together now.
I was hoping to take her to Rockingham yesterday but I couldn't get her to fire up!
Yes I have fuel and a good spark from new plugs but o ly no1 cylinder fires (the only header to get hot)
The ignition relay was missing when I picked her up from a breakers 3 years ago and I drained all the fuel out. Fuel pump is running when I turn on the ignition on, thanks to the great Mr White who had a spare relay.
The bike only had cosmetic damage and from what I've seen no mechanical probs.
Anyone got any suggestions?

PS took the Tnt to Rocky on the international circuit and had a ball.
A fee tweaks of the Marzocchi RAC 50 front and it handled brill.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Only thing I can think of is the ignition coils. Check them and replace if necessary.

·
1,841 Posts
Probably stating the obvious,but since one fires could the other 2 be swopped (on control wiring)so they would be sparking at the wrong time ?
Could try a compression test ?
colin.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pretty sure they are the right way round!!!
Will check them again but i`m sure it`s not that
Could there be a blockage in the fuelling system considering the length of time its sat around for me to get my arse into gear?? I remember to flush all fuel out of the RG500 when I`m not going to ride it, maybe I should have done the same!

·
Registered
513 Posts
Hi Dave,

some things to check maybe the switch in the clutch lever housing if its damaged/defective that would prevent the engine starting and the tilt over switch, although on Errols site page states that they are by passed now due to problems

Mark

·
1,841 Posts
I would try removing the airfilter and pouring a little fuel down each body,prob best to refit filter and lid in case it spits back ! If it then fires up then I guess the injectors may be varnished up,may be simple to remove and soak in some cleaner ?

·
VIN#ten
136 Posts
Flat battery - ECU or TPS problem?

Just a 2nd experience, in case nothing has helped so far.

My dear Nelli up here had a mysterious mess up with the ignition map obviously due to a black out while starting with a drained battery. Reloading the map solved the issue.

This is 1130, the ECU is of Walbro make. I checked the error codes both with Walbro diagnostics and TuneEdit. No fault codes from any of the components, but the throttle position sensor was somewhat out of limits and the ignition advance indicated way out of the map parameter settings when trying to start. If these were the real reasons, I do not know, but now she is crancking and starting as good as ever before - i.e., always a moment of excitement ;)

One more thing and part of the genuine Benelli experience: I think (according to the Workshop Manual) the 900 Sagem ECU sets parameters to each of the cylinders separately, whereas Walbro uses the same set for all cylinders. So you could in principle compare the maps with TuneBoy. And in trouble shooting section the procedure and values for checking the coils resistance is defined. Please correct me if I am wrong.

·
Premium Member
4,429 Posts
Sounds similar to how fraser was finding how his new RS engine(many thanks for selling it him) as the fuel rail had become clogged and fuel was being pressured in the line (remove fuel line after trying a sit can have fuel under pressure ready to soak antone close by ). he of course just put his old fuel rail with injectors on swapped and it started instantly . you could try having the injectors ultrasonic cleaned or other method. good luck.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sounds similar to how fraser was finding how his new RS engine(many thanks for selling it him) as the fuel rail had become clogged and fuel was being pressured in the line (remove fuel line after trying a sit can have fuel under pressure ready to soak antone close by ). he of course just put his old fuel rail with injectors on swapped and it started instantly . you could try having the injectors ultrasonic cleaned or other method. good luck.
Thanks for that Angle, I think you have it as when I took the fuel line out of the tank I was sprayed with fuel :doh: I did wonder why there should be so much pressure built up in the system.
Looks like i`ll be stripping the injector rail out now.
Thanks for all the help guys, i`ll keep you posted.
Dave

·
VIN#ten
136 Posts
Any solution

Thanks for that Angle, I think you have it as when I took the fuel line out of the tank I was sprayed with fuel :doh: I did wonder why there should be so much pressure built up in the system.
Looks like i`ll be stripping the injector rail out now.
Thanks for all the help guys, i`ll keep you posted.
Dave
... so far?

·
5,928 Posts
The fuel rail pressure will slowly decrease, as the valve in the fuel pump slowly leaks. If it's really good, and the injectors aren't leaking, the pressure will remain, as there is nowhere for it to go.

I had my injectors cleaned at about 50,000 km. I had never used any kind of cleaner in the fuel, and they were pretty good still.
Worth getting them cleaned though, providing you get a report before & after. Cost me $30 / injector. Well worth the peace of mind.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Heres an update on project Tre trackbike rebuild.
Took the bike into the workshop last week and stripped out all the fuel lines, injector rail and found that after sitting in the garage for 3 years having thought I had drained all the old fuel out I found that there was a bit still there that had turned to glue and blocked the injectors, a quick clean and press the button and >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>SHE LIVES :clap:
I`m going to do a bit more plastic welding on the seat unit and then the bodywork will be off to be painted. I`ve got some std panels that were on ebay a while ago that were damaged for £50!!!!! for the 2 uppers and have repaired them all and filled in the indicator hole and mirror recesses etc to give it the smooth race bodywork look.
Have booked a trip to my local DynaPro operator to get the best from the engine with a custom map via Tuneboy and then its time to take to the track to give her a shakedown ride.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Fuel add.

Does anybody favor any type of fuel additive to clean the injectors ie redex:confused:

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've used 'BG 44K'. BG 44K cleans the entire fuel system including injectors (removes varnish), intake valves, piston tops and combustion chambers (removes carbon build up).

The same company produce a fuel system stabilizer; 'BG Super Charge 2' For vehicles that do not get much usage. Allegedly BG Supercharge 2 slows down the oxidizing of fuel and helps to keep it from turning to varnish. I've not used this myself but considering it!

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I've used 'BG 44K'. BG 44K cleans the entire fuel system including injectors (removes varnish), intake valves, piston tops and combustion chambers (removes carbon build up).

The same company produce a fuel system stabilizer; 'BG Super Charge 2' For vehicles that do not get much usage. Allegedly BG Supercharge 2 slows down the oxidizing of fuel and helps to keep it from turning to varnish. I've not used this myself but considering it!
Cheers bud.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Finally got the z25 gear, shaft and washer fitted today as the workshop was quiet at work so the guys set to work on the Tre :clap: Thanks to Rusty for supplying it for me :bow:
Next week i`ll be off to the local dyno to get it mapped and run her up for the first time and test all the mods :D
Stay tuned for the next installment

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, I spent a couple of hours today with the guys at Mayors Motorcycles http://mayors-dynocentre.co.uk/default.aspx and set about the fuelling issues with the Tre. The 6033 modified map was a disaster :mad: the bike wouldn`t tick over at all and ran soooo rich it madde our eyes stream. We reverted back to the 6033 std map and set about tweaking the mixture values in the map. You can see the main area of trouble were in the 3500 rpm-5500rpm areas.
Maybe the top power output is a bit lower than I had hoped but the power is now produced evenly all the way through the rev range.
The red line is the final run we did and the guys said to go try it out and see how she preforms.
All credit to these guys as they have a fab attitude towards the setting up of the tuneboy software, altering the maps, etc etc. They welcome any type of bike and have done 2 of mine so far with excellent results.
I will be trying to upload a sound file I recorded when the bike was running up and it sounds awesome.
I will try to upload it later.
All in all now all I have to do is the get the paintwork done and book a TD to test her out :clap:
View attachment 2164
View attachment 2166

1 - 20 of 21 Posts