Benelli Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doing Donny a week today and whilst I have done one before (Mallory TLR 1000) and a Haslam track day (CBR 600) I was after a little advice.

Now despite the above, I went for the novice group however what concerns me, is some little barsteward 'accidentally' wiping me out on his £1,200 rat bike.

So, do you look behind you at all when turning in? I dont mean a full on life saver, just a quick glance to make sure that ''rocket ron cock' end is trying to 'do me on the brakes' at 10 miles an hour!

Also, I know I dont need to anymore, but would I be better to tape up me indicators and brake light or, is it easy to remove the number plate and indicators.

Is it really worth letting a bit of pressure out of the tyres or am I not really likely to see the real benefit, taking into account my infancy?

On the Haslam track day, I had a damp track moment coming out of Goddards when I opended it up in second gear, only to find I was in first! The back end broke, then I caught it and wound it back in, then on and away. It felt ace!

And finally, my mate tells me I should hit 150 down to foggy esses, is this accurate and in any event, should i tape up the speedo?

Thanks in advance - best site on the web!

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Hi matey.

I'm probably not the best one to offer up advice on this subject:doh: , but here goes anyway! At the briefing, it is common to be told that there is no diving up the inside in a corner; anyone getting caught will be black flagged. Overtaking should only be under power between the bends, or on the brakes before tipping in. You should constantly be told it is not a race... yeah, really.:D I would definitely remove mirrors and numberplate; easy, and tape up all other lights. It is the rev-counter you should be watching, not the speedo, but it is tempting.;) It is worth getting crash bungs that attach by a long threaded stainless rod through the wheel spindles; they could save your swinging arm or wheel rims in an 'off', and they are cheap on ebay. I would investigating removing the side stand on a Tornado; don't know about TNT's; and by-passing the cutout switch, as, if you bin it on the nearside, the stand can act as a lever, and break the bottom of the frame off. I know all this....:bawl:
I would definitely reduce your tyre pressures - take advice from the on-site tyre man. They will warm up quicker, give you a bigger contact patch = more grip.
Having done all that, switch your brain off, wait for the red mist to rise, and give it the beans!:rolling: Oh, and concentrate on your lines. Consistency and smoothness are the key factors.
Enjoy!:clap:

cheers,
Ian

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi matey.

I'm probably not the best one to offer up advice on this subject:doh: , but here goes anyway! At the briefing, it is common to be told that there is no diving up the inside in a corner; anyone getting caught will be black flagged. Overtaking should only be under power between the bends, or on the brakes before tipping in. You should constantly be told it is not a race... yeah, really.:D I would definitely remove mirrors and numberplate; easy, and tape up all other lights. It is the rev-counter you should be watching, not the speedo, but it is tempting.;) It is worth getting crash bungs that attach by a long threaded stainless rod through the wheel spindles; they could save your swinging arm or wheel rims in an 'off', and they are cheap on ebay. I would investigating removing the side stand on a Tornado; don't know about TNT's; and by-passing the cutout switch, as, if you bin it on the nearside, the stand can act as a lever, and break the bottom of the frame off. I know all this....:bawl:
I would definitely reduce your tyre pressures - take advice from the on-site tyre man. They will warm up quicker, give you a bigger contact patch = more grip.
Having done all that, switch your brain off, wait for the red mist to rise, and give it the beans!:rolling: Oh, and concentrate on your lines. Consistency and smoothness are the key factors.
Enjoy!:clap:

cheers,
Ian
Cheers Ian ta for the info.

I saw your photos and note following your, erm, incident - bad luck mate. I cant wait for the day and just hope its dry!

·
TnT explosive tester
1,011 Posts
My advice would be not to look/lifesaver when going for a corner as your more than likely going to overshoot and hit the gravel

Unfortunetly some people just dont listen at the breifing and think they are troy bayliss trying to make up time with block passes, if they do let the marshalls know its your life and a lot on of hard earned cash they are putting at risk with poor riding

You are less likely to get wiped out in the novice group as most will be novices and not the like fannies in the expert group i went out with last week,,, never again:doh:

It would probably be best to let some air out of the tyre as maybe your slide would not have happened had you a larger contact patch on the tarmac. I run 31 in the front and 29 in the rear which when hot should be about 34 front and back

Ive never taped up my speedo but then i never have time to look at it at knockhill you just know how fast to go for a corner by being in the correct gear usually. 150mph that must be an easy part of the circuit then:D . Just pray for a dry day at donnington as far as ive heard the track is really slippery when it rains from the planes dumping fuel/fumes as they take off etc

A tip that was reinforced in my brain at the last track day was to look around the corner not to the outside edge, once i remembered to do this my times went down by 5 seconds a lap

And remember to have fun:clap:

·
Registered
346 Posts
Having done a few track days myself I'd recommend getting Twist Of The Wrist I & II by Keith Code for future study. There are other great books as well. Worthwhile investments and teaches you a right way of riding on a track...and translates to the street as well. Looking back is considered a no-no at speed on a track. Your focus is on whats in front of you at all times, concentration, not whats happening behind you, too much distraction...
It = missed turn-in points, various braking points, broken concentration, and running off track, into someone else.:doh: Taping the speedo is a good idea, few do it I suspect. It's one less distraction. You'll know your hauling tail just as well! Tape up is easiest for a street bike, removing stuff makes your bike look racier though:rolleyes: Remove the tail light bulb just incase your tape-up is sloppy, and you can remove the headlight bulbs also, or the fuse?
The two trackday orginizations I ran in had tire guys there and the typical pressure they recommended was about 30 psi or so. The right choice of tire would be more important than the "wrong tire @ race pressures" I believe.

And my personal approach to doing trackdays? I line up behind everybody, let them go, and than roll off with a good space between so I have clean track in front and behind. Works great on longer tracks. I've had clean track many sessions doing it that way. The fast guys will maybe lap you, but they typically won't be the ones to worry about. Its the not so smart ding-a-lings who lined up front that you'll be contending with either directly in front or worry about them barreling full steam right up your bum at the most inopertune time!:rolling: Have fun!!

·
1,231 Posts
Inopertune Moments...

Its the not so smart ding-a-lings who lined up front that you'll be contending with either directly in front or worry about them barreling full steam right up your bum at the most inopertune time!:rolling: Have fun!!
I hate when that happens...Al, whats it like getting a ding-a-ling straight up the bum at full speed and at the most inopertune time? Say, while drinking a cupper while changing the Nelli's oil?

·
Registered
642 Posts
best advice...

Leave the tornado at home safely locked up in a warm garage with battery on charge.

get yourself a Aprilia RS250 or sorted RGV trackbike , youll have loads of fun, no-one except maybe other decent 250 riders will be able to get underneath you and youll be knackered at the end of the day . Or see if theres option to rent track prepd bikes there.

Id much prefer to trash a 2000 bike than a 5000+ bike if some idiot is gonna take me off or if i have a wee slide

I did a track day on my 2 month old gsxr750 a while ago, swore blind never again, almost got taken out two or 3 times once by a cone that was kicked up by a guys knee. Did two sessions and called it a day, to be fair was bad organisation, we were in the novice group but somehow found ourselves amongst racers running in and testing bikes for the season opener the following day, actually the racers were fine, gave you a wide berth etc, it was the other novices and wannabe rossis that were dangerous:doh:

·
Registered
319 Posts
Hi Angelus,

same happened with me. But how can you look behind yourself? On the track, you have to remove the mirrors ;) I think this is some of the disadvantages of tracking days. If ever I participate again in it, I will choose an open group group, in which you can ride as you want. My incident happened in an instructor-lead group.

On that day, 12 others hit the ground.

I think getting down is one of the neglected topics on racetrack days. As far as I know, on every racetrack event in germany, from 60 or 70 participants (devided into groups) around 10 fall down every time.

So, we should recognize the risk of those events. And don´t think it won´t happen to you.

·
Registered
159 Posts
My advice would be to just take nice tight lines and make the squids go around on the outside. That way if they crash they crash away from you. Don't worry about what's behind you - just stay relaxed and concentrate on your own riding. So no James Toseland lines ok (in the States I call them Nicky Hayden lines)? :rolling: Keep it tight and predictable and you'll be fine. As you get faster your lines will have to widen but by definition the squids won't be able to pass you as you're going faster.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the advice guys and having done the event yesterday, all went well.

The event was arranged by Hottrax who were very good but they needed to be as the amount of knob heads were unsurpassed.

We all had to get together at lunchtime for another briefing as the guy from hottrax said that in 14 years the most crash's they have had in one day is 20 and we have matched that in the morning only.

As I said, I went in the novices but twice someone tried to outbrake me on the inside going into Coppice and they both overan and ended up in the gravel. I just dont understand why they dont pause ofr 3 seconds and do me on the back straight.

I went with a newbie on an R6 and a well versed Mille Factory owner, the latter had to withdraw with an oil leak, as i understand the oil tank is made of cheese. Lucky he spotted is or it could have been curtains!

Great day though and even stayed out when the rain came (yes, I know), leaving me feeling like a pro as I was pretty much the only one out there.

Best corner - coppice
Worst corner, easy - Goddards. When it was wet, I stopped on entry, pushed the bike around the corner, then re-mounted and set off down the straight, as it was much quicker!

And the Nellie, top notch and brakes were awesome and are much better now then they were before the event.

Happy days!

·
Registered
574 Posts
Glad you enjoyed it but be warned it can be adictive! I fell off 1st time I went to donnington at copice forgetting to do the breaking before the top of the hill.
The level of knob heads at track days is worrying either they should be made to wear bell end pink bibs by the marshals or simply castrated in the pits.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I did Donington last Thursday with a couple of friends (one on a Gixer 1000 and the other on a KTM 950 Supermoto - what a hoot that is). :D

Brilliant day but I can understand the comments about the idiots. I overtook someone on a Fireblade down the back straight and held it through the esses he obviously saw red and decided to tank up the inside at the Melborne Loop, couldn't stop in time for the tight corner and nearly wiped out 3 bikes (including my friend on her Gixer 1000). :mad:

We reported him to the organisers and fair enough they went and had a word - he didn't do it again. :clap:

Only 3 crashes during the day as far as I'm aware but all were in the same pit garage as me (nr 31 .... it's jinxed). It's the first time I've seen an R1 after a fire - messy !!

By the way the Nelly wasn't the fastest bike on the track but it was certainly the biggest talking point. Loads of people wanted to know about it and I, for the first time in my life, became Mr Popular. :clap: :clap:

My Partner was also very popular and managed to blag herself a few laps in a KTM X-Bow during the lunch break. Not sure what she promised the driver but he had a big smile on his face when he got back !! :rolleyes: `

1 - 13 of 13 Posts