Benelli Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Did my 1st ever track day yesterday evening at brands.
Fun to start with. In the 1st session start slowly, behaved my self and then gradually speeded up. Gradually worked out that I could use the brakes rather than rolling off as I do on the roads and started to wind the throttle open. started to feel the bike move around as the pace picked up around clearways, but still nothing silly. It seemed to go in seconds!

Problem was I blew a Core Plug in the top left hand side of the block and therefore couldn't continue after the 1st session - rats

Have any off you guys ever had to replace one and if so how difficult was it?

Your advice would be appreciated.

By the way if I don't relpy for a week, I am not being rude, just I go on Holiday to Italy early on Saturday morning

Many Thanks in Advance
Dave

·
5,891 Posts
Core Plug

Hey Dave,
I haven't replaced mine (yet), but I keep one in my pocket!
Replacing one is usually as simple as screwing in a self tapping screw, of an appropriate size, and reefing it out with a pair of pliers. The main difficulty would be gaining access.
It's a standard 16mm diameter. You can pick up a brass one for next to nothing at your local auto parts store.
Cheers, Errol

·
Super Moderator
7,769 Posts
Hi Dave, they are a 'friction' fit, but dont whack it in too deep or you'll push it right into the water chamber. It should sit with the edge of the core plug just below the front of the hole.

Enjoy the holiday and I look forward to hearing if you managed to get round the factory when you are over there. :clap:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hi Guys,

Forgive my ignorance .. but what are these core plugs of which u speak ?

Plugs in the end of a drilling for an oilway or such like ???

I've seen a few bolts which look like the might serve this purpose -- but that doesn't seem to be what you are describing ?

Thanks

T

·
Super Moderator
7,769 Posts
I don't know if they had changed onto a better core plug material by the time they were building the TNT's Hector but it would be worth keeping an eye on just in case.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Back from Italy

Hi Guys,

made it back, and the girlfriend is still talking to me even though she found herself in Bike Country, Imola, Mugelo, San Marino et all.
Never got to go round the factory, but did pass buy it.

The roads in the area are beyond bike heaven, though not for such a big bike as the Tre. Super Motos made the best (and dramtic) progress.
I was in an Astra Desiel so excitment was spinning the inside tire on Hairs Pins and thumps in the ribs from the Girlfriend - I know very childish, but...........
Ducatis were 10 a penny, mainly monstors and hit on a monstor day out, 20 Dukes, all running after market pipes leaving at the same time. A beautitful sound.
Only saw one Benelli and that was in the Factory Car Park !!!!

Oh well, better get some Core plugs and fix mine. Back on the BMW tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
7,769 Posts
Hi Dave,

Glad you enjoyed your little break.

Never got to go round the factory, but did pass buy it
Were they not up for giving you a tour round the factory or did you not ask them?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Laurence,

thanks I did and have come into work this morning and found a tank protector hope you got the Cheque OK

Cheers
Dave

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sorry read the rest of your meesage - opps

Emailed them but never got a reply. Such is life.
I was passing the factory at 7.00pm, a little late for a tour I guess

Cheers
Dave

·
Super Moderator
7,769 Posts
Recieved cheque OK Dave, many thanks, and glad to hear that the tank protector was waiting for you on your return to work.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yee haa It works

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Just installed a new core plug and now a nice dry bike.

Even cleaned the inside of the fairing a bit.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts