Benelli Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just did a track day at Castle Coombe.The Tre was over the noise limit at 106.9db so did not ride it.Had to rev at 8750rpm.Has anyone fitted a DB killer to the standard Tre silencer?.Managed to fit a DB killer to the TNT and got it through the noise test at 102db.They are really strict at Castle Coombe.Lads with R6s and Gsxr 600s were really struggling.It seems that the rev limit on the 6oos is their downfall.The test is done at 75% of the red line so the little screamers are just generating too much engine noise to get through under the limit of 105db.Even after fitting modified exhausts with large std cans up the side they still would not pass.The TNT was ok,only had to rev it to 7250rpm.
Did the track day no problem and would you believe it the headlight cowl and screen fell of at 30mph on the way to work this morning.Stupid little plastic lug has snapped off.Just a couple of minor scratches.Good job it did not fall off yesterday at the track!.

·
TnT explosive tester
1,011 Posts
Jeez 102 decibels from the TnT, I keep thinking mine is real quiet lol

maybe not then:D

What point of the rev range do the mot tests get done?

Do you know what times you do on each bike assuming you have been round a track on them both. I assume the TnT is the 1130 and the Tre a 900

Which is fastest round the track, and which is the most fun?

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Jeez 102 decibels from the TnT, I keep thinking mine is real quiet lol

What point of the rev range do the mot tests get done?

QUOTE]

MoT testing doesn't do a noise check.:) The can just needs the correct markings on it.

Castle Combe is, as you say Zebo, very strict. My Tre with standard can went through at 105db's. It is a bit vague as to where the guy actually holds the sensor. I think it is supposed to be 50cm back, and at 45degrees to the exhaust outlet. Unlike the noise, the position is not measured, though, just approximated. Could be why yours read louder then mine.
My Fazer 1000, with full Akra system, failed at 112db's:doh: with the db killer in!:confused: A sheet of exhaust packing and some wire got it scraping through at 105, eventually.

Cheers
Ian

·
Carbon Fiber Whore
368 Posts
Your Misfortune

Zebo, hope the plastic lug that broke off wasnt the one on the headlight assembly. That one will cost you around 400 USD. Not sure the Price in EU. But, pricey since the lug is part of the WHOLE headlight assembly. If it was on the little body panel fairing, that should only run you around 130 USD or so. Again... a pricey repair for a cheaply made panel with a poorly designed plastic tab for security.

·
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
With refererence to my 2 Benellis i enjoy them both equally.I have never timed them both but when you are out with the same group of guys you can fairly well tell that there is very little in it.I was doing 1min 20sec laps at Coombe with the second chicane not included.Someone went down early on and covered it in oil!.I was the only person in our group with an unfaired bike so it is fun mixing it with the Blades etc.Top speed at Coombe is only about 140/150mph and that is not for long.The bike created a lot of interest.
The plastic bracket that broke is luckily on the fairing so i reckon i can pop rivet it back together because the repair will be under the screen.:)

·
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Another thing that i wanted to ask was my TNTs performance was definetely knocked back with the db killer fitted so dont tell anyone but i did not ride with it fitted.The bike would be about 105db without it fitted.I still run the std silencer just with a modified end pipe.
Some guys said there bikes were not affected and some were after fitting the db killers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I can totally sympathise. Took my standard Tornado to Castle Combe for a noise test before I booked a track day and it was measured at 107db (limit is 105db). :bawl:

I bought a db killer as I live near to Castle Combe and was quite keen to use the track but it just didn't fit properly and to make it stay in you need to drill a hole in the end of the exhaust :mad: ..... all in all I couldn't be bothered and went to Donington instead .... :ele:

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
..... all in all I couldn't be bothered and went to Donington instead .... :ele:
:rolling: Brilliant, that's the sort of attitude that pi$$es our women folk off.. :rolling:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts