Benelli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

just thought you might like to know of my recent experience of track days.

They make me wonder why I keep going back on the Nelli and just show you should never EVER let me fix your bike. It has become a little bit of a joke that my Red RS is a touch unreliable, (which it is) when compared to my 10 yr old Bemmer

In June I went to Donnington. This is where my troubles started.
Yeah Ha always wanted to do a track day there. Was in the Novice group - I am no racer. Having a real great day, superb. Rode to the track, from the off was fast and smooth. Wicked - no Red mist loving the sweeping bends - Great until................ BANG bike goes down at the melbourne loop.
I had just catch up a gaggle of riders, 5 or 6, I thought I had just grabbed to much front brake, but the guy behind me (I had overtaken him on the way into the Esses - OK a little Red Mist) reckon I was clipped by another. Got the bike back together and finshed the day.
Damage was rhs fairings, levers and wing mirror (£115). With the help of Angus I got it back on the road quickly.:bow:

Thought after the horse has bolted lets fit some Crash Bungs :doh:
Well what a farce. They don't fit. I have a different Engine mount to other RSs. I went for a wander around Rusty's workshop just to check. Mine do not have machined faces !! Bloody Italiens !!!
After a bit of Grinding and rerouting of oil lines job done

Brands GP here I come - Seriously expensive Track day - but for once why not !!! My local track only 60 miles away.

My house to the M25 17 miles !!!! 15 mins
M25 to my house on the recovery lorry 3hrs
Why - sprung an oil leak - Boy does a little oil go a long way !!!

Well stripped the bike down cleaned it found the coupling (wonder who moved that - ohh that must be me then) :mad: that was losing oil - Back on the road to Brands by 11.0

Thought go via the M11 - Same distance for me - Got there and the Junction was shut - Chaos. a bit of local knowledge and then was on the way

Just managed the last session before lunch 3 sighting laps - 1st fast lap someone crashes - Red Flags Session Over.:mad:

After Lunch though 3 of the best session I have ever done - What a track - seriously fun !!! Worth the money and then rode home like a lamb:)

Yesterday - Silverstone GP curcuit - in my new one piece leathers.
From the off Nailed it Fast Smooth, learning what the brakes are for, Wicked fun.
Then last session before lunch Knee down :ele: and at Copse and then again on the same lap. Sussed out Copse and went round it so Fast .........

Back in the pits jumping up and down. Looked at my back trye - Opps no tread left - Bugger they won't last another session. Go see the tyre man - now got a set of Mez Race Tecs. - Ouch expensive

Srcub them in in the next session no problem. 5 session comes up Nailed well and truely - for a 900cc / 200kg bike with a Lardy arse 110 kg rider it was flying around everywhere - I don't think I have ever ridden quicker (honest no red mist ;) -just fun fun fun)

Got back to the pits stopped and guess what - BLOWN radiator :bawl:
Water just poured out - And I had to ride home.

But luck was on my side, thanks to the only other guy I let work on my Nelli apart from Rusty / Kieth :bow: . Simon from Racetec :bow: in Bishop Stortford very near where I live, was there supporting one of his racers. Bike loaded in the back of his lorry and dropped outside my door. What a star.

Oh and I still love Trackdays - Got to be done !! but I think I might just buy a van soon.........

Now has anyone out there got a spare radiator so I can discover how much of that end of the bike I can destroy!!!!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Sounds like fun... glad you are persevering! Novice group to knee down sounds very impressive :bow: ...my knee sliders are in pristine condition despite a few track days on previous bike.

Did you fit R&G bungs and cut hole in fairing? Havent looked at my RS to see what mountings are like.. how do I know if I have the "right" type?
Have you fiddled with suspension settings? I havent had the nerve to start fiddling yet.

I have been thinking about folder trailer rather than a van before I venture out on track. Also useful for just taking to service, tyres, and other places bike may need to go without having to rely on someone else offering me a lift or loan bike.

Dino

·
Benelli Wannabe !
6,865 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you fit R&G bungs and cut hole in fairing? Havent looked at my RS to see what mountings are like.. how do I know if I have the "right" type?
Have you fiddled with suspension settings? I havent had the nerve to start fiddling yet.
Dino
I dropped the bike at donnington and manage via Mr A Dangle to get a new set of lower fairings - they were predrilled for the Crash bungs, so I didn't have to touch them.

The two main problems with the mount were the lack of machined face on the inside of the mount and the fact that mine was threaded. All I ended up doing was drilling out the thread and grinding the face down. Niether are big jobs, but as a mechcanical incompedent it was rather unnerving.
To check the engine mount, if you have a nut and bolt rather than a threaded engine mount you should be ok.

I cheated with the suspension. Simon at Race Engineering in Bishop Stortford set it for me. He is not quite as large as me, but certainly is no Danny Pedrosa. It seems to work fine with me but I am no Rossi.

Race Engineering

PS not being disloyal to Rusty at all, it is nearly a 400 mile round trip to see him

·
Registered
63 Posts
Great stories....I think!

I am doing Donnington on the Nellie on 24th of this month. I did the haslam track day there a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it.

does anyone have any photos of the crash bobbins so that I can check the attachments, my ability of all things mechanical is lower than low!

Cheers

·
Registered
417 Posts
I dropped the bike at donnington and manage via Mr A Dangle to get a new set of lower fairings - they were predrilled for the Crash bungs, so I didn't have to touch them.

The two main problems with the mount were the lack of machined face on the inside of the mount and the fact that mine was threaded. All I ended up doing was drilling out the thread and grinding the face down. Niether are big jobs, but as a mechcanical incompedent it was rather unnerving.
To check the engine mount, if you have a nut and bolt rather than a threaded engine mount you should be ok.

I cheated with the suspension. Simon at Race Engineering in Bishop Stortford set it for me. He is not quite as large as me, but certainly is no Danny Pedrosa. It seems to work fine with me but I am no Rossi.

Race Engineering

PS not being disloyal to Rusty at all, it is nearly a 400 mile round trip to see him
Cheers for info - will check out the mount and have just been looking on R&G site. Have a book on suspension setup just havent had the time to read it and try fiddling! if it all goes wrong then I am not far from PDQ. :)

·
TnT explosive tester
1,011 Posts
You dont have the best of luck m8 but glad you enjoyed what you could

I love trackdays but the wife wont let me take nelli on the track so i have to use my 98 zx6r

last weekened i went to knockhill and the red mist came down as i wanted to beat my best of 1min 2secs on the old Z

I was soon told off in no uncertain terms by the Z when first the front tucked and then the back slid on successive laps at the hairpin. It took me all night to master the hairpin and get down to almost 1min laps

If you have not tried trackdays You should asap guys its addictive

·
Registered
59 Posts
Track days

Hi guys
I did a track day a couple of weeks ago at Donnington. As I dont have an RS the bobbins dont fit, so i went without any and was fine. The moral of the story is DONT DROP IT:ele: . As long as you follow this simple rule you will be fine. In terms of fiddling with the suspension I would suggest, do nothing to your nelli, go to the track day and do the first session as it is, then pay the £40 to the guy there from the company that do the set ups and then go back out (thats what i did but waited until i had done 4 sessions before getting set up done);) Its the best £40 I have ever spent and the bike feel like a different bike now. its really planted and my lap times came down straight away.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
New Rad

I have down approx 4 track days this year, 2 last year and 1 plus 1 session at brands before the core plug gave up the year before.

I am gradually becoming addicted to them !!!!

There has been a Rad on ebay for a while from time machine. Made an offer and collected it yesterday as he is near my house and have now taken it on a tour of the UK, as I was on may way to work in Scotland (I live near Stansted). Fantastic "S" shaped rad !!!
Don't you just love the Italiens :clap: :clap:

·
Registered
417 Posts
I find it hard to justify a UK track day... mainly due to the weather - I dont do wet riding! ...its just a lottery.... plus you might up with crashes curtailing sessions. Also that apart from Silverstone and Brands, which are expensive, most circuits are a distance away from me meaning riding up night before and hotel... all adds up.

Euro track days therefore the way to go IMHO! My track day history comprises of 1 day at Cadwell, plus Cartagena and Alcarras in Spain :)
Looking forward to next Euro excursion and first one on the Tornado :ele:

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
how did you like the forgien ones - are they better days than the UK ?
Do you get longer sessions and more track time?

·
Still trying!
490 Posts
Couple of thoughts on this thread: Folding trailers. I have the Motolug version, it is excellent, heavier than you would expect and does the job really well .. needs two people to load a heavy bike like a Nelli though. Expensive but probably worth it .. mine can be converted to carry 2 bikes. Folds away and sits in the corner of the garage without taking up too much space.

Trackdays: Firstly I have never done one .. always been scared of binning whatever nice road bike I've had .. so :bow: to all you folk who do them.
Secondly .. its sounds an expensive and crash prone occupation. My solution is to go racing in a cheap class at club level .. doesn't matter if you crash the bike, you get much more tracktime for your money and, quite honestly, I think it is safer as most of the folk out there can ride quite well and are not scary to be around. Ok - all racing is expensive but much less than dumping a Nelli! Depending on what classes are offered by your local club you should be able to get out on something like steel framed 600 or an old slabsided Suzuki .. you'd pick up something usable for £1000, get a novice licence, do a training day and off you go .. maybe £100 for a day entry for which you normally get 2 practice sessions and 2 races. Best bit is the friends you make with the folk you race against - everyone helps each other .. you don't need to be an up and coming Rossi .. it is just great fun.
I suggest folk get along to their local club races and chat to folk who are racing .. best thing I have ever done. Completely and totally addictive though! Mike

·
Registered
417 Posts
how did you like the forgien ones - are they better days than the UK ?
Do you get longer sessions and more track time?
The two foreign trips have been great. The first one was a 4 days at Cartagena with Focussed Events... bit of an eye opener and in at the deep end having only done a training day at Cadwell before hand :O
This year back in Feb went to Alcarras for 3 days with Hottrax. This was a great trip. Still firmly in the novice group but really enjoyed it. The track was open from 9-6 with hour for lunch meaning 8x20min sessions!
This is a lot.. and we didnt lose a single one. I never completed the 8 and always skipped one. 20 mins is a long time too to be concentrating. Good thing about 3 or 4 days is that you can miss a session without feeling you should be out there getting your moneys worth.
I would give open-pit lane track days a miss. Cartagena they made it open-pit in the afternoons. Too much speed differential between racers and novices. I was on my VFR for both these trips.

There are lots of bargains to be had at the mo... like £450 for 4 days.
On top of this you have to factor in fuel, food, getting your bike to and from the drop off point in the UK and flights. Car hire may or may not be included in package.

I would say give it a go... I dont get chance to ride much and a trip like this gives you a good fix :)

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Couple of thoughts on this thread: Folding trailers. I have the Motolug version, it is excellent, heavier than you would expect and does the job really well .. needs two people to load a heavy bike like a Nelli though. Expensive but probably worth it .. mine can be converted to carry 2 bikes. Folds away and sits in the corner of the garage without taking up too much space.

Trackdays: Firstly I have never done one .. always been scared of binning whatever nice road bike I've had .. so :bow: to all you folk who do them.
Secondly .. its sounds an expensive and crash prone occupation. My solution is to go racing in a cheap class at club level .. doesn't matter if you crash the bike, you get much more tracktime for your money and, quite honestly, I think it is safer as most of the folk out there can ride quite well and are not scary to be around. Ok - all racing is expensive but much less than dumping a Nelli! Depending on what classes are offered by your local club you should be able to get out on something like steel framed 600 or an old slabsided Suzuki .. you'd pick up something usable for £1000, get a novice licence, do a training day and off you go .. maybe £100 for a day entry for which you normally get 2 practice sessions and 2 races. Best bit is the friends you make with the folk you race against - everyone helps each other .. you don't need to be an up and coming Rossi .. it is just great fun.
I suggest folk get along to their local club races and chat to folk who are racing .. best thing I have ever done. Completely and totally addictive though! Mike

Lots of sound advice here, Mike. I'm leaning in that direction meself. Much more depth to racing than just trackdays. I may pick your brains on the subject later....;)

Cheers

Ian

·
Registered
231 Posts
track days

done about 7 track days with a company called eurotrax fantastic run by shaune .folembray 120 miles from calais open pit,croix and ecures bit further 2 groups change groups whenever you want ,very relaxed on noise when a ducati was noise tested in the pits it failed the owner said it was quieter on the track so he was let go . any offs or breakdowns everbody helps out from lending you there bike to taking your bike home free or in my friends case rebuilding his suzuki after a off while he sat and watched. plus great laugh at night ,ferry return, b&b + track day for the price of a track day in uk without all the lecturing on how to ride.

·
Registered
13 Posts
track days

Understand what people say about not wanting to drop their pride and joy but on the track you can acquire valuable knowledge about the limits of your bike which can be transferred to the road for better control and smoothness.

I'll be at Donington track day on 20th August to 'learn' more about my bike ;) ;)

Also on the trailer front, I have a collapsible one which is not as expensive as the Motolug (and I suspect not as good). It cost me £375 new from e-bay although rather than have it delivered I went and picked it up in person (actually it cost me another £60 as I got a speeding ticket on the way there :bawl: :bawl: ) Dismantles/assembles in under 5 mins using pins (no tools necessary). Have only put my Partners Aprilia Shiver on it but it towed fine. Will have the Nelly on it for Donington.

If anyone wants details then let me know.

·
Registered
417 Posts
If anyone wants details then let me know.
is it this one: 160347941660

if it is - what is it like wheeling bike over the "ladder" frame?
do you need to keep an eye of fairing undersides as the ramp looks short - I have had issues before on friends trailer when underside of fairing snagged on edges of trailer / ramp when front wheel is still on trailer and rear wheel on ramp. I have got myself a ramp now that has a curve in it now.
Thinking of getting folding trailer too as rely on my friends double trailer but its not very convenient.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yep that's the one.

To be honest I've only loaded my Partner's Aprilia Shiver on to it and as it's a naked bike there's no issue with clearance. Quite tough to get it up the ramp (it weighs 200kg) but managed it on my own. I have a longer ramp so not too bothered about using the standard one for the Nelly.

Good and bad points about the trailer:

Good :) - cheap (when compared to other similar trailers), easy to assemble (no tools and 5 mins max), feels very solid and sturdy, fits in the boot of a car, bloke who makes it is very accommodating and will change the design to suit your needs (he stepped the design on mine to fit the high towbar on my 4x4).

Bad points :( - paint finish could be better, it's steel and not aluminium so will rust in time, it rattles slightly when towing (the joints are held together with pins and clips so there is movement), unsure about quality control as he makes them in a tin shed (might be a problem if anything happens and your pride and joy falls off).

Would I recommed it? Yes if space is an issue if not then buy an Erde.

Hope this helps .... and I haven't bored you to death ! :doh:

·
Still trying!
490 Posts
Yep that's the one.

To be honest I've only loaded my Partner's Aprilia Shiver on to it and as it's a naked bike there's no issue with clearance. Quite tough to get it up the ramp (it weighs 200kg) but managed it on my own. I have a longer ramp so not too bothered about using the standard one for the Nelly.

Good and bad points about the trailer:

Good :) - cheap (when compared to other similar trailers), easy to assemble (no tools and 5 mins max), feels very solid and sturdy, fits in the boot of a car, bloke who makes it is very accommodating and will change the design to suit your needs (he stepped the design on mine to fit the high towbar on my 4x4).

Bad points :( - paint finish could be better, it's steel and not aluminium so will rust in time, it rattles slightly when towing (the joints are held together with pins and clips so there is movement), unsure about quality control as he makes them in a tin shed (might be a problem if anything happens and your pride and joy falls off).

Would I recommed it? Yes if space is an issue if not then buy an Erde.

Hope this helps .... and I haven't bored you to death ! :doh:

Have to say I think if space was not an issue I'd have bought an Erde too. The Motolug is brilliant and much better than the trailers I've had before but it is pricey .. on the other hand I'll never need to buy another .. very well built. Would not like to try and load a heavy bike onto it by myself though .. was fine for my TZ and RDs but anything larger is a handful until secured.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts