Benelli Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

has anyone tried some advanced courses on tracks or roads? What would you advise ?

I need to go on the basics of cornering at reasonable then high speeds - I a mvery bad at taking the angle with my bikes . I thought I progressed a bit, but a group ride with my mates in France put me back into reality :mad:

UK based (or European based) training please :eek:

Marc-O.

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
Hello,

has anyone tried some advanced courses on tracks or roads? What would you advise ?

I need to go on the basics of cornering at reasonable then high speeds - I a mvery bad at taking the angle with my bikes . I thought I progressed a bit, but a group ride with my mates in France put me back into reality :mad:

UK based (or European based) training please :eek:

Marc-O.

Marco, best course you can get yourself on for riding on the Public Highways is an IAM (motorcycle course) - Track riding skills shouldn't be used as they are more dangerous and you don't see the police knee scraping around corners if they are 'making progress', besides it is unneccesary on the road!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Fast Cornering and Training

Marco

I had a similar problem riding with mates in France. Came back and went on a Police Roadcraft 3 on 1 training course. They coach anticipation and safe riding at speed. They drilled into me the line for approaching corners and linking corners. The bike becomes better balanced ( other factors are included like throttle and speed control) and confidence builds. Speeds increase with application of the training. Police fail the course if they fail to maintain safe high speed

You can find trainers advertising in Bike magazine or on the web. Its not cheap but is effective

The training is good fun and for me an intensive 3 day course allowed me to make real progress but I have done one day courses as well

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Hi Marco

I think it depends what you want from it - I have been riding for 7 yrs and have decided its high time for some advanced training, as the tornado scares the crap out of me sometimes ;-)
I have just done my first assessed ride with my local IAM. I think this is definitely the way to go to get you to be as safe as possible whilst still making good progress. For your advanced test you do have to stick to speed limits etc, but the observer was telling me that once you have done that and go on the full member rides, they do have more fun, but still safely (even the police riders). I think I will supplement this with a track based course - California superbike school or something like that, as I dont think the IAM training will teach you how to ride quickly, although that may well be a by-product of the confidence it gives you. Time will tell but I am gonna go for it so I will be able to report back soon!

Cheers

Col

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you all for your replies, I will think about it for my next holiday break. Maybe some advanced course in parallel to a track day training is the good solution.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts