Benelli Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend I swaps happily riding along when I heard a strange whooshing noise and the bat warning appeared
Have removed the alternator this evening and it is not looking good
The rubber cush drive has fallen to bits
The z25 washer is just about holding on but the bolt has unscrewed slightly
Worst of all the coupleron the alternator is wobbling about
It looks like the alternator has a spline shaft which the coupler slides on to
This is then held in place by a bolt
However the coupler is spinning on the shaft and it is hard to tell if what remains in the end of the shaft
Before I go where angels fear to tread has anyone had any experience of rescuing this situation

·
Registered
679 Posts
This is quite a common issue and a regular check on that bolt is a wise move. If it was me I would pull the shaft and gear out for inspection and replace if necessary. There is an updated shaft and gear. It is quite easy to remove, pull the clutch off and the shaft pushes through from the alternator side, use a rod so that the rod replaces the shaft to stop the sprag clutch dropping.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply
Unfortunately in the cold light of day it seems the alternator shaft has sheared where the coupler attaches
I found the nut complete with half the shaft under another pile of shredded cush drive bits

So looks like it is going to be an expensive job😥😥😥

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not necessarily. The alternator is the same as on a Triumph. Not sure which.
Lets hope so as I have just been quoted over £600 for a new one
I think it is a Denso unit so a bit more internet trawling is required
Unless some helpful person already has the info :):)

·
Registered
873 Posts
Lets hope so as I have just been quoted over £600 for a new one
I think it is a Denso unit so a bit more internet trawling is required
Unless some helpful person already has the info :):)
Let us see what it is you need, we may be able to help. Where did you get that replacement cost ?
Moto Gb site ,or elsewhere.
Kawasaki rubbers fit apparently , but I have needed them yet. Alternator , there are a few used ones about . (failure elsewhere has given the owner , lots of bits left over.
What are you trying to fix , model , age of bike , miles covered etc.
Do you want to "rebuild it , or just get it going to use and enjoy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi
I got the price from Bennetts - however looking at the few on new ones available on the internet £600 ish seems to be the going rate for a new one

There are a couple of used ones for around £130 ish on ebay
before i do anything I am going to whip of the clutch cover at the weekend and have a look at the basket - if there is damaged to that some hard decisions are going to have to be made

hopefully a used alternator and some new bushes will do the trick

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have been through a similar experience with my Tre1130K. I guess you need a new Z25 shaft with gear and two half couplings plus a set of genuine Benelli rubbers. I tried Kawasaki and Triumph rubbers but they are not a proper fit. I am replacing the Benelli rubbers every 20,000km. The Benelli alternator was offered inexpensively on Aliexpress until recently but seems to have disappeared. For my bike I bought a used Triumph alternator as a contingency. I found the Triumph alternator housing is different to the Benelli housing but the rotor and shaft appear to be the same. Since I re-used my original alternator I never confirmed the Triumph shaft compatibility. On reassembly you best use Loctite 620 to fill the clearance in the coupling splines on both the Z25 shaft and the alternator shaft. Let it cure for 72 hours before starting the engine so you don't disturb it before it develops enough strength to prevent slippage. I did this the first time with a badly flogged Z25 shaft and it went 43,000km before coming loose again. The alternator shaft had less clearance and it has never budged since the Loctite 620 was applied. The failure of the Loctite 620 in the Z25 coupling was understandable because the clearance in the worn splines exceed the 0.2mm capability of the Loctite product. I have now replaced the shaft, so the clearance is tiny and I expect the 620 to keep it secure until after I am dead and gone. I used a Gr 10 bolt torqued to 60Nm and the thicker Belleville washer supplied by Maniac Motors, a common industrial item that at ~2mm it is much thicker than the original. First time around I used Loctite Medium Strength Thread Locker on the bolt threads. Second time I used Loctite 620 very sparingly on the Z25 bolt threads. I expect it will take some heat to release if I ever have cause to undo the bolt but I am pretty confident it will never unscrew in service.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the advice, it is always good to have info from someone who has been down the same path
as a matter of interest which Triumph alternator did you get - was it the 101211 - 161? Is it the mounting holes that are different or just the fact the terminal is on the back rather than on the side?

clutch basket checking tomorrow so it could be a sad day

All the best

Paul

·
Registered
174 Posts
The Triumph alternator I have is 101211-1611. As I recall, the mounting boss is smaller than the Benelli boss, the mounting lugs are in different positions and the coupling is smaller. I do not recall what made me think the rotor was the same so that is not reliable information. It may be different. Safest option would be to find the correct Benelli alternator.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think we can safely say it is totally different :) :) :)

That has saved me wasting my money on the off chance

I will have a look at the ebay one

Cheers

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All
Not posted before but I was under the impression the old triumph 955 alternator fitted? mighty be worth a look. as my TNT had supposedly had one fitted!!

·
5,866 Posts
Someone in the dim dark past fitted a Triumph alternator to a Tre. I didn't get the full details though. I had a spare at the time so I wasn't that interested.

·
Super Moderator
7,763 Posts
I've got a used spare that you can have for £125 + P&P

·
Super Moderator
7,763 Posts
We have all got a spare Laurence, need to keep it though , sods law says ,yours will go as soon as you sell it.
I've got more than one :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts