Benelli Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
mid life crisis merchant
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First I'd like to say hello to all fellow benelli lovers,
Although Iv'e had my Tre 900 for ten months I've only just registered on the forum.
Can someone help me, Iv'e got a problem with the chain rubbing on the back tyre and part of the swing arm especially when i,m two up!
Ive tried to stiffen the rear shock by dialing it up a few notches and had a new chain and sprockets fitted but it's still rubbing occasionally.
Any idea's guys???
Cheer's
Johnny 1 chance

·
5,928 Posts
Welcome to the forum Johnny.

Yours is a problem that pops up here every now and then. Just recently in fact.

Not sure how it can touch the swingarm though. There's a plastic guide that should prevent that. Got pix?

Several possibilities:-

The original chain wasn't that flash. Had lots of sideways movement, and would take chunks out of the cast section of the frame. Obviously not your problem though. You've replaced the chain.

If the wheels aren't aligned properly, the chain can hit the tyre.

There is a 190/55 tyre that's wider than it should be. Dunlop I think. Do a search here. It was discussed a month or so back.

Helps to adjust the chain tension. Lift the bottom section towards the swing arm. It should reach to around about 10 mm from it.

·
mid life crisis merchant
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Errol, Thanks for the welcome and the advice it's very much appreciated,
I,ll checkout the tension and the sideways play the min I finish work.
If I knew my way around a computer I would insert a couple of pics but I'm usless and will need to get one of the kids to do it for me!!!:doh:

Very best wishes,
John.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Yep - comes up again and again. Here is a picture I had on a thread back in 2003 - the chain can hit where it is shown in red. Best cure is to be anal about chain adjustment - it stops most of it.

The RS has a plastic guard that stops the scratches on the side of the swing arm - this can be retro-fitted to a bog standard Tre.

3X ran their demonstrators for a while with gaff tape in place to "hide" the scratches :doh:

·
mid life crisis merchant
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers's bath of kylies, as basic as your drawing is ( I couldn't do better tho) it's uncanny how accurate it is, if I didn't know better I'd swear you'd took a look in my garage and drawn that from life!!!
Can't check it out fully yet still stuck in work :bawl:
Cheer's for that,
John

·
Premium Member
4,429 Posts
mine was one rubbing (read taking big chunks out of the tyre !!!) and i've bought a pair of replacement tyres but the rears now a 180/55/17 instead of the present 190, i'll be fitting them as soon as it returns from russ's . mine also had a mark where shown in the pic as the chain touched the swing arm but it was very small and did indeed have gaffer tape over it in matching silver. chain tension and correct tyre profile solve it.

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
Hi Johnny and a big from me too mate.

Here is the link to the recent post on this topic.

If you take those pics, email then to me and I'll put them on the Forum post for you :- [email protected]

·
mid life crisis merchant
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks guys, I really appreciate this.
I wish I'd found the forum sooner, 10 months with a nelli, only 1 in my area as far as I know and no contact with other lovers of italian beauty, apart from when the missus used to oggle franco chili everytime she saw him on the tv! I was beginning to feel lonely, Fortunately she drools over the nelli now ( I still come second best tho, sniff!)
Also if anyone is interested I'm going to be flogging my 916 soon, haven't been out on it since I got the nellie :bow: so it's gotta go, ( 6'000mls foggy rep plastics on it £3500 o.n.o)
Thanks again fella's
John.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hi Johnny and welcome, had this prob recently and think its down to the tyre choice. I had a Dunlop 190 that rubbed badly. Just changed it to a michelin of the same size and no longer a problem. Not sure whether the tyre has less edge or whether it wasnt adjusted properly to start with :) Cheers

·
mid life crisis merchant
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers's Steve,
I'm gonna fit some new rubber and then check the alignment and the tension properly hopefully this with cure it.:)
Does anyone know where I can get hold of a pair of front and rear rizoma reservoir's???
I'm after a bit of bling for the old girl, I know she stands out well as it is but I just wanna treat her for the summer ( it's on a tuesday this year isn't it?)
I've managed to get hold of ball caps, buffs and the odd mug or two for the missus but I wanna spend some cash on my true love!
anyone got any idea's.
Cheer's Johnny.

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
I've managed to get hold of ball caps
...there's got to be a joke in there somewhere. :rolling:

Johnny, I've just placed an order with a dealer that can supply the Rizoma Tanks. If you confirm what colour you're after, I'll see if I can get them to add them onto the order for you......but you'll need to be quick though

Please see this previous post for details. Current prices are £39 for the large and £27 for the small + P&P.

but I wanna spend some cash on my true love!
anyone got any idea's.
Have a look at my post on this thread which might give you a few ideas

·
mid life crisis merchant
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Laurence,
Thanks for that, from what I've read on the forum your definately the big kahuna when it comes to knowledge and being able to reach the parts that even carling couldn't get their hands on!:bow: :bow: :bow:
I had actually posted a msg on that thread but thought maybe they were items that were past buys and not available now.
Like I said I've only been able to get hold of items such as the odd bit of crockery and clothing, the missus is benelli mental and walks round looking like a benelli model, (bless her).
If possible I'll take a pair of tanks in silver, how would I go about getting payment to you???
I can be reached at [email protected] to tie the loose ends up mate.
Cheer's Johnny :excited:

·
Premium Member
4,429 Posts
ball caps - i wear them after i have been out on the town before facing the wife :rolling: . laurence will supply only the finest and anyones bike can look like a million dollars for just a few bucks !!(commision there please laurence !!)

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
Email is on it's way to you Johnny and the fiver is in the post Angus ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts