Benelli Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First up a HELLO from a newbie here....and a non-Benelli Owner at that.

Yesterday afternoon the sun finally came through in Melbourne (after some weeks of lousy weather) and resulted in a trip "to the bike-shops".
Saw a very pretty green TRE standing outside one of the shops, folks squeezing tight to get a glimpse.
The colour hit me right between the eyes.... so I hopped onto the Net after getting home and started googling. Came across the Benelli (Italy) site and searched around, finally d/l a couple of owner- manuals which revealed, that the paint code is under the seat.
Could anyone (with a green TRE) please have a look for me and post up the paint code?
Just love that paint....
A big thanks for your help. :)
Cheers
pete
(DownUnder)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Since that thread I've actually had mine painted, the Benelli paint codes for the Green are wrong. If you use those codes you get a kermit the frog green colour ( been there done that )
In the end I got the paint from

http://www.motorbikepaint.co.uk/

The panel was sent to them and they match some paint. If you are matching a Tornado then be careful as even though the green is the same some were painted in mica and some candies. the colour is the same but they look slightly different. mine was a candy with a gold base but some have a silver base. the mica I believe goes on a black base.
The paint was about £120ish for enough to do both panels twice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help and replies. :bow:
Reading through the threads and the replies here, there seems to be some variance and getting the color right sounds like a bit of a lucky shot.
One good thing is, that I don't have to match colors... but also wouldn't like to finish up with a "Kermit" :doh:
The TRE I saw would've been a very recent model, if that makes any difference.
Thanks again for the help.

cheers
pete

·
Registered
59 Posts
tornado green

I just finished aerosol painting my damaged green fairing with paint from Paints4u.com. Turned out pretty good. My Benelli green was a candy over gold, but Paints4u said their Benelli green was just a green metallic matched to the shade (although they said it had gold and green in it...?)

(More pics in my Gallery)

After pealing the cracking paint off my fairing with the help of a Stanley blade, I wet-sanded the few bits of gold that had actually stuck to the plastic with p400. Then degreased with thinners and applied a flash coat then a decent coat of Paints4u plastic primer. After about twenty minutes, I applied a few coats of their grey groundcoat. I left that to dry for a couple of hours then flatted it with p600 wet. Gave it another quick groundcoat to cover any spots I'd sanded through.

After 20 minutes, I sprayed the green. I Gave it about 4 or 5 light coats. And after a couple of hours, I sanded any imperfections out with p1000, then gave it some lacquer.

It's certainly very glossy! The only problem I had was that I had the fairing flat on a bench and I got a few drips of paint coming from the aerosol with the green and clear. I had to flat the green out as it made a darker splodge. If I was doing it again, I'd hang the fairing up.

The clear drips, I will p1500 and polish up to a glassy finish.

Costs

Energy Line Plastic Primer 400ml A/sol X 1.00 = £7.83
400ml Custom Colour Aerosol X 1.00 = £10.99
BSB Special Groundcoat 400ml A/sol X 1.00 = £5.99
Power Can Clear Coat Lacquer Upol A/sol X 1.00 = £4.99

postage £10

A lot cheaper than buying a new fairing.

I also used some special black, flexible body filler to fill a few scratches.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Once more, thanks for the help and the detailed procedure described, that was outstanding !
Might even give it a go myself....
Thanks and cheers
pete

·
Registered
59 Posts
The only thing is that it's a metallic green, rather than the standard candy, so it doesn't quite have the same 'depth'. I believe it is by House of Kolor, and candy is the hardest paint to apply because you're spraying on a tinted lacquer and any difference in paint thickness (such as overlapping spray strokes) causes a difference in colour. But as a DIY option, I definitely think it's worth a shot. Aerosols seemed to have changed a lot since I last used those crappy Halfords type things. The Paints4u ones - I doubt I'd get a better finish with a gun!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts