Benelli Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys :hiya:
I´m a new member of this forum (and first-time Benelli owner after earning my wings on a selection of jap bikes, beginning in 1974 with a pearl white S1 250 triple Kawasaki ). Just want to say GREETINGS ALL, and tell you that your inputs in this Forum played a part when I finally decided in favour of a 2008 Tre-K 1130 instead of a Ducati ST3.

Now I feel it´s payback time by sharing my first month of ownership with you:

The first few days I did some personal adjustments to make the bike more enjoyable to ride: Adjusted throttle cable to reduce slack; gave a less jerky ride at low rpm´s. Adjusted gear- and brake lever a tad up as – for my style – they were too low at the tip. I have also changed the grips to a thicker foam-type; gives a less cramped feeling on prolonged trips. My experience is that the new grips also makes the bike ride smoother at low speed.. Must be because the new grips dampens arm and hand movement, when you hit a pothole or a speed bump. I also fitted a “Day Pack 2” tank bag from Motech with tank lock fitting. Practical and stylish I think ;-)

Oh yes – in respect of all discussions in the electric-trouble-department: I gave wires and electric connections a liberal dose of silicone-spray and sealant.

Fuel consumption. I like her to be economical should need be: my first tank gave a promising 16,5 km/liter with at brand new and tight engine. The second tank – as I was getting bolder ;-) - 15,5 km/liter. Both readings was taken having the “Power Control” button activated most of the riding period. From there on I averaged something in between 14,5 – 15,5 kilometers per liter.

Fuel gauge-reading seems overly pessimistic. On my second tankful of gas I ignored the orange lamp and rode it until lowest bar on the fuel scale disappeared. And still could only squeeze something like 17 liters in the tank at the gas station.

All in all I´m very happy with the way the bike goes, handles and delivers. A very competent package in terms of power, handling, braking – and fairly comfortable too. The power is getting stronger as break-in period progresses.

Yesterday I took “Bella” (- as my wife named her ;) ) to my dealer (which also by the way is the Danish importer of Benelli motorcycles) for first service – and also for them to perform a few tricks: GPR exhaust-can, modification of intake-flaps and fiting a Power Commander. Also “Bella” is going for a ride on their dyno for calibration. I’m hoping for a smoother ride in lower rpm’s, not necessarily more power. Expect improvements in the fuel consumption department too.

Other items, that has to be fixed:

-Engine light on: Problem occurred on day one on my first trip from dealer taking her home Halfway into the 250 kilometer ride (motorway – keeping rpm´s between 3.000 and 4.000 for brake-in purposes) the engine light came on. The engine ran perfectly, although it scared the hell out of me to begin with. The light disappeared when the engine cooled down, so it´s may be a malfunctioning heat sensor or electronic bug along the way. Still happens though every time I take her out. Oil level is o.k., temp.gauge reads normally, cooling-fans seems to be working o.k. as they start up at prolonged stand-stills with engine running.
-Minor oil leakage: When parked a couple of drops forms on the ground under left side of the engine. Cannot tell the point from where the leak starts.

I think this is enough for now. Thanks for your interest. Looking forward to comments and your input :)

·
TnT explosive tester
1,011 Posts
Welcome to the forum m8

Ive not got a trek so what is the tank size?, its only 17 litres on the tnt

15km per litre is amazing I get aroung 8.5 per litre on my 899, what engine do you have?

the oil leak could be the generator seal, if it is running down the back of the engine behind the two water pipes it is that seal, 30 minute fix

There is also 3 drain tubes at that side, dont know what they do but maybe one comes from the tank overfill. have you splashed petrol around up there then it could be petrol. If not is there anything coming out of the others

your dealer sound on the ball so to speak should not take them long to sort you out

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys.

Re. tank capacity on the Trek, the data sheet reads "Useable tank volume 22 lt" which I still have to investigate closer. Capacity on the 899' is the same as on my 1130'.

Dynamo, your "milage" seems very low - even poorer than my Alfa Spider with a 3 litre V6 :D

·
Registered
131 Posts
-Minor oil leakage: When parked a couple of drops forms on the ground under left side of the engine. Cannot tell the point from where the leak starts.
I have my mates Trek in my garage it drip from the LHS, its the seal in the water pump not seated right. get it looked at quick or you'll be waiting for a new shaft as well, still waiting about 2 mths at present. the seals were within a week.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay - suggestions to oil leak sounds relevant: Water pump seal, alternator seal. Drain tube from tank? - Don't think so. Spot definately feels/smells like oil.

Will tell my mechanic to do a thorough check of these seals. Also check oil leads and banjo-fittings. Maybe these could do with a bit of tightening...

Think I´ll contact them by phone and mail - just to have the documentation right, should any warrenty issue occur...

Thanks for your input :bow:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi Perbras, hyggelig aa hoere fra deg :) .

Sorry for my Norwegian, I lived in Norway for three years. It's nice to hear that there's a Tre-K also in Denmark :D .

This wekend I rode my Tre-K for around 400 km, very nice. It's been my second tour with her. I female friend of mine nicknamed the bike Mazinga, due to her front part ;) .

The only problem at driving is that my right hand gets cramped, due to lack of blodd circulation ... I was thinking to buy some thicker gloves ... will see.

Dommy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hej Dommy - Håber, at alt er grei i Norge :)

Picked up the Trek from first service last Saturday. Rode 100 km through pouring rain. Bike didn't miss a beat. But after about 30 mins. in the bath, the blue high beam indicator started flicking. Perhaps the high beam flasher button taking in rain or moist. After drying out I sprayed it with WD40. Will see if this takes care of the problem.

Anyhow - with new rear exhaust and Power Commander "Bella" now goes like a dream. Now, THIS is the way the Italians should have adjusted the engine before delivery. Very smooth take-offs from low rpms, cruises steadily at 2.200 rpms without any jerkiness. Throttle and engine-response feels very precise and finely in tune with each other.

But this is the feeling, what about the facts? Well, I still have to get the printout from the dyno, but my mechanic informed me, that rear wheel horsepower increased from 92 to 110. A very respectable improvement I still have to explore :D . Until now I am impressed how much nicer the engine runs in terms of feel and responsiveness. Hopefully fuel economy also benefits - will report later.

The oil leak is fixed. It was the seal - or o-ring - at the generator, having a gap! Hmm. so much for precision by the guy assembling the engine!

Engine-light fixed by shop: resetting the engine computer. Or not? Light was back on after 50 kilometers from dealer. Think I'll just leave it at that; resets itself when engine has cooled down overnight.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
hi friend who set you up with the power commander and what pipe have you fitted and did you fit a new air filter ,i wish mine ran as smooth as yours low down mines terrible very jerky would be very interested in the dyno sheets was it a pc 3 you had fitted enjoy the ride m8

1 - 9 of 9 Posts