Benelli Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

To cut a long story short, I was having some running troubles. So, replaced the stepper, and plugs and whilst the bike was apart installed some Oxford hot grips and some new rear indicators. Now the F#cking thing won鈥檛 start 馃様 checked fuses, side stand switch, fuses, visible plug connectors. It has fuel etc. It might be worth noting that I鈥檝e had it started since the stepper, grips and plugs were installed.

What am I missing here?

Registered
Get tuneecu on it and see if everything looks normal. I had crank sensor slightly unplugged and it wouldn鈥檛 start and gave no errors.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Get tuneecu on it and see if everything looks normal. I had crank sensor slightly unplugged and it wouldn鈥檛 start and gave no errors.
Thanks @GBo

Weirdly, it was running yesterday and was low on fuel and cut out. Put fuel in, no go now.

Thinking of just sending it away for someone to sort it at this point. I鈥檝e had enough of taking it apart and putting it back together 馃槀

Registered
I say to virtually anyone that has issues with these thing to stick it on tuneecu because you can see if throttle is moving and if you seeing any revs. I think Rick had issues with side stand switch. Safety relay has given trouble. Can you hear pump running? But no coughs or splutters? Where abouts are you?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I say to virtually anyone that has issues with these thing to stick it on tuneecu because you can see if throttle is moving and if you seeing any revs. I think Rick had issues with side stand switch. Safety relay has given trouble. Can you hear pump running? But no coughs or splutters? Where abouts are you?
@GBo im new to Benelli, and never had use for diagnostic software for bikes prior to now as I generally don鈥檛 keep them long enough 馃槀

Side stand switch has been apart and checked but it鈥檚 ran since checking that over as I saw they were a common nuisance.

I鈥檓 sure I can hear the pump priming when the ignition is turned on. When this non starting issue came about it sort of spluttered but now it鈥檚 as dead as a dodo. Turning over freely but not attempting to start whatsoever. The safety switch would make sense; as daft as it sounds the place I bought the bike from hosed the bike down and got some water into an area of the frame and it splutters out brown water so I鈥檇 tipped it over quite far to drain it out. Where is the safety switch? I can鈥檛 say I鈥檝e seen anything that resembles one when I鈥檝e had it in bits.

I鈥檓 in Halifax, West Yorkshire 馃憤馃徏

Registered
@GBo im new to Benelli, and never had use for diagnostic software for bikes prior to now as I generally don鈥檛 keep them long enough 馃槀

Side stand switch has been apart and checked but it鈥檚 ran since checking that over as I saw they were a common nuisance.

I鈥檓 sure I can hear the pump priming when the ignition is turned on. When this non starting issue came about it sort of spluttered but now it鈥檚 as dead as a dodo. Turning over freely but not attempting to start whatsoever. The safety switch would make sense; as daft as it sounds the place I bought the bike from hosed the bike down and got some water into an area of the frame and it splutters out brown water so I鈥檇 tipped it over quite far to drain it out. Where is the safety switch? I can鈥檛 say I鈥檝e seen anything that resembles one when I鈥檝e had it in bits.

I鈥檓 in Halifax, West Yorkshire 馃憤馃徏
I would say you have,fouled the plugs, they are prone to soot up, if you run the bike up without a blat up the road to get it up to temp and clear them, The bikes are not the easiest of starters and need all three plugs sparking at the off, they struggle to start on two.
The tip over switch is mounted centrally under the tank, its a square black block about 40 x 50 mm mounted in a rubber mounting . They are a simple pendulem switch that earths out if the bike tips over. You might ? have got it over far enough to trigger it , but it should have centered when the bike was vertical. If you want to check it, its tank off so you might as well get the plugs back out and look at them/ change/clean them.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would say you have,fouled the plugs, they are prone to soot up, if you run the bike up without a blat up the road to get it up to temp and clear them, The bikes are not the easiest of starters and need all three plugs sparking at the off, they struggle to start on two.
The tip over switch is mounted centrally under the tank, its a square black block about 40 x 50 mm mounted in a rubber mounting . They are a simple pendulem switch that earths out if the bike tips over. You might ? have got it over far enough to trigger it , but it should have centered when the bike was vertical. If you want to check it, its tank off so you might as well get the plugs back out and look at them/ change/clean them.
Thanks for the input!

Strange one, I went out to the bike today after work, didn鈥檛 do anything just literally turned the key and cranked it and it almost felt like a decent splutter. But then returned to nothingness. Would make sense about the plugs even though they were changed a couple of week back. Will do another tear down tomorrow and keep you all informed if I find the fault!

Registered
Pete freeatlast has a point they can foul the plugs easily. Especially if something isn鈥檛 quite se right and they can be fussy about CO reading in the tickover region

A couple years ago I had Nell off the road for several months while I was working out how to deal with a slipping clutch. When I finally replaced the plates and changed the stack height, she wouldn't start. I checked fuel pressure, spark, injection, timing. Everything was fine. It was only when Alex asked me to take a video of me trying to start her that she began spluttering a bit. That was after cranking for about 10 seconds. Previously I had only cranked her for a few. On the second extended crank she caught on two which soon developed into all 3. She's never done it again.
BTW. The only time Nell fouled plugs was when the exhaust valves were leaking.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
UPDATE

So. Attempt 837.

Took the pendulum tip over switch apart and all is good. Cleaned the plugs which were black bright. Not even been ridden on yet.

But- I noticed to my own demise, my air box mod has damaged the coil stick in cylinder 2. The question is - would the bike fire on 2 cylinders with this damaged? Or would it not fire at all?

Registered
UPDATE

So. Attempt 837.

Took the pendulum tip over switch apart and all is good. Cleaned the plugs which were black bright. Not even been ridden on yet.

But- I noticed to my own demise, my air box mod has damaged the coil stick in cylinder 2. The question is - would the bike fire on 2 cylinders with this damaged? Or would it not fire at all?
Have you got al the plugs out and spun the engine. If they are all sparking 321 321 then you should be ok. broken connector or not. They will start on two ,but they dont like it.
Fouled plugs will spark out in the open but not so good under compression.
Whip the injector rail off (only two 6mm screws) and spin the bike , no plugs and see all three injectors are delivering.
You have compression, a spark and a squirt of fuel , it should go.
Only thing I can think of is TPS, is it reading 0 - 100 %. You need the readout to see it. 0 % at throttle closed.
Stepper motor , is it clean and operating correctly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts