Benelli Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Tre 903 has now started ever so often to stay up in the red or even right up to the stop on whole journeys.It used to be fairly consistant and stay just below the red.Now it will rise up slowly and stay in the top of the red for half an hour or so then go right off the scale and stay there until i slow right down or stop.We went down to the dorset coast yesterday and it was off the gauge most of the way there even after stopping for fuel.I checked the water before coming home.It was fine.She rode home and stayed mid gauge all the way back.I wonder whether it would be worth trying a new sender unit.Anybody got any thoughts?.:)

·
5,934 Posts
You're describing the classic Version A dash symptoms, but I've got you on record as having upgraded the dash. :confused:

Don't suppose the dealer upgraded to the same version ?

It sure seems as though the dash is crook.

Temperature sensors rarely fail, but you could test it by measuring it's resistance as you heat it up in a pot of water, comparing it with the actual temperature. The rise and fall should be smooth. No discontinuities.

Could be the connector. In which case, removing it, then reconnecting it should solve the problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My Tre 903 has now started ever so often to stay up in the red or even right up to the stop on whole journeys.It used to be fairly consistant and stay just below the red.Now it will rise up slowly and stay in the top of the red for half an hour or so then go right off the scale and stay there until i slow right down or stop.We went down to the dorset coast yesterday and it was off the gauge most of the way there even after stopping for fuel.I checked the water before coming home.It was fine.She rode home and stayed mid gauge all the way back.I wonder whether it would be worth trying a new sender unit.Anybody got any thoughts?.:)
My Tre 900 had just the same odd temperature gauge behaviour. We tried everything possible, changing new sender unit etc, but it kept showing obviously totally wrong temperatures (which caused severe frustration :doh: ). After changing the whole gauge system (temperature, speed, revs, etc) it began to work properly.

Jouni

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
Hi John, this may be a bit of a long shot but are you sure that you don't have an air lock in the coolant system?

·
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Engenia,I bet your right.I am still waiting for my clocks to be replaced.They keep saying that they are on back order!.
Laurence,The water level has not altered over the last 1500 miles or so.Also the bike never smells hot and appears to run fine now after all the usual niggles.I am doing a track day at Brands Hatch GP circuit next week so that should be good test of the cooling system!.:D

·
Waiting for the AA
54 Posts
mine does the same. Winds itself up over a long journey. I've got to sort out a warranty claim to get the clocks changed

·
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice coincidence!! My new clocks have just arrived.I will keep you all posted as to whether they cure the Temp. gauge issues and the resetting when starting.:) Zebo

1 - 8 of 8 Posts