Benelli Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks - I'm new to the forum,

I've ordered a TreK 1130 from Bennets. I believe, from Russ, the bike is a 2009.

I'm shipping this bike to Cape Town and will be living there for a couple of years.

afaik there are no Benelli dealers in Rep South Africa.

Obviously I won't be shipping the bike back to UK whenever it has a warranty issue - so - if you can, please offer me a comprehensive list of known common issues with the TreK so I can prepare myself.

I've just finished reading the 'cracked frame' thread and must say this has seriously made me re-consider this bike. I don't fancy a nasty weld on a new bike frame :doh:

cheers

·
Banned
238 Posts
Congratulations on the purchase

On a 2009 there shouldn't be any problems as
The problems were associated with the older ones I believe someone will correct me If I'm wrong

With regards the frame my 899 has no cracks or nothing with 2200miles on the clock hopefully this will be sorted soon for those who and perhaps a preventative bracket for the likes of you and I

Would be good to get first service on it done here along with the mods

All the best

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Welcome to the fold ,Russ will i am sure have given you a sorted bike .With the frame scenario thats a different story and all i will say is that if it appears that you end up in this unfortunate situation Benelli will have to sort it out one way or another .Enjoy the bike

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi thanks for the replies.

Surely there must be a few odds and ends to sort?

Russ is sorting the running mods for me, cat, airbox, restrictor rings etc.

·
Banned
238 Posts
Have you got money burning a hole in your pocket? Will be interesting to find out how it cope's with the south african heat might need to get your fans to come on sooner than they are set to.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Have you got money burning a hole in your pocket? Will be interesting to find out how it cope's with the south african heat might need to get your fans to come on sooner than they are set to.
Should be ok my TREK saw 45c on the air temp gauge idelling in traffic waiting for a bush fire to be put out on the way home from work earlier this year. My thighs were roasting from the engine and air heat though.

As for common faults, stick coils, do not ride bike if it runs on less than 3 cylinders or it will melt your rear wiring loom and plastics around the exhaust if you leave the cat in. Mirror stalks will rust sand back to bare metal use auto spray primer and satin black to fix.

·
Banned
238 Posts
Don't allow bike to idle whilst on stand when starting ride it to bring temperature to middle of the gauge.

This damages the old style coil sticks.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did a search for coil sticks and seems they are a big issue - fitting Triumph coil sticks seems the way ahead.

Just one thing...

.... what the hell is a coil stick :confused:

·
Banned
56 Posts
My mirror stalks have gone rusty, less than a year old which isn't good enough.:mad: Being replaced soon.:D

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
im a regular to cape town . and have a benelli there . . never worry about parts as i can always bring if necessery .

a trek from russ will be A1

and ideal for the sa roads ie 80 miles straight perfect tarmac then 1 mile no tarmac but gravel then tarmac again . not tre land afraid .

·
Banned
48 Posts
I would like to ask myself what are the common faults of Benelli Tre K but I'm sure that you have written down many times about them :doh:

I was checking the site almost everyday the two previous weeks and from my point of view, the issues that a 1130 Tre K will have to face is

1)Z25 (I dont know what it is, but it has something to do with the gearbox)
2)Middle coil stick
3) Engine mounts (new one...:doh: )

What else?

I will have to wait for my Tre K for 2-3 weeks (they are waiting for a part that is, surprisingly, not in stock :confused: ), I spoke with Alex from KJM and he said to me that z25 has been changed, there are no cracks on the frame and "all necessary mods have been done" whatever that means. The bad thing is that I'm going for holidays at on 12th of August, I may need to wait a little bit more...:rolleyes:

I'm from Greece and I have also an Aprilia Dorsoduro 750 with more than 12000 miles on the clocks which it works perfect so I'm a bit familiar of italian bikes and I have a more positive attitude on facing simple problems than a TJB (Typical Japan Biker ;) )

What have I definitely got to pay attention at?

Thanx :clap:

·
Banned
48 Posts
dobbinuk

Thank you mate, hope to see one of you when I get my bike, so I can listen a more experienced opinion... ;)

·
2004 TNT Owner
1,670 Posts
Thank you mate, hope to see one of you when I get my bike, so I can listen a more experienced opinion... ;)
Esefar,
You have good taste, the Benelli may be more 'Italian' than you have been used to!
(A mate has a 750 Aprilia Shiver Sport & reckons they're as reliable as a Japanese bike, not a bad thing!)
Cheers.:D

·
Banned
48 Posts
Pilgrim

Thanx mate, but don't think that there was nothing wrong on those 12000 miles...:rolleyes:

There was nothing major or expensive, just italian shit that pisses you of...
It is a great bike for a small island, but anywhere else than that, you need power and air protection... ;)

I want to believe that Tre K has nothing that it doesn't get sorted out. :)

And that is why I'm asking...:clap:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
For the price (anniversary deal) I can live with some minor niggles if they are fairly reasonable and not too serious (mirror stalks, coil sticks are small niggles really)

But the frame issue is making the hair on my neck stand up.

Frankly any repair will crack again and a new frame will crack too - the fact that benelli will not answer wether or not replacement frames are sorted is very alarming.

I can see this going to the courts.

Do you guys know there is a massive court case in USA with Ducati as they replaced faulty fuel tanks with like for like, the replacements deformed due to a USA fuel addiditive. Going to cost them lots of cash. I dare say a big court case in Europe would be very hard on Benelli if they were found to be negligent, the legal costs alone would be staggering. Frankly the product is not fit for the purpose.

·
Banned
238 Posts
BorderHooner

You don't have to worry about the niggles for 2 years anyway as its under warranty.

With regards to the engine mounts I personally think its tension related so there might not need to be a new frame just replacement and set to right torque with spacers to relive excess stress on the frame.

I have an 899 tre-k and it hasn't changed my feelings for the bike one bit its a lovely piece of kit I ride it hard I may part ex it in a year for the 1130 see how the money goes.

If the frame does go on me early retirement :clap:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts