Benelli Forum banner

Trek 1130 Common faults?

26K views 36 replies 13 participants last post by  GBo 
#1 ·
Hi folks - I'm new to the forum,

I've ordered a TreK 1130 from Bennets. I believe, from Russ, the bike is a 2009.

I'm shipping this bike to Cape Town and will be living there for a couple of years.

afaik there are no Benelli dealers in Rep South Africa.

Obviously I won't be shipping the bike back to UK whenever it has a warranty issue - so - if you can, please offer me a comprehensive list of known common issues with the TreK so I can prepare myself.

I've just finished reading the 'cracked frame' thread and must say this has seriously made me re-consider this bike. I don't fancy a nasty weld on a new bike frame :doh:

cheers

#2 ·
Congratulations on the purchase

On a 2009 there shouldn't be any problems as
The problems were associated with the older ones I believe someone will correct me If I'm wrong

With regards the frame my 899 has no cracks or nothing with 2200miles on the clock hopefully this will be sorted soon for those who and perhaps a preventative bracket for the likes of you and I

Would be good to get first service on it done here along with the mods

All the best

#4 ·
Welcome to the fold ,Russ will i am sure have given you a sorted bike .With the frame scenario thats a different story and all i will say is that if it appears that you end up in this unfortunate situation Benelli will have to sort it out one way or another .Enjoy the bike

#7 ·
Should be ok my TREK saw 45c on the air temp gauge idelling in traffic waiting for a bush fire to be put out on the way home from work earlier this year. My thighs were roasting from the engine and air heat though.

As for common faults, stick coils, do not ride bike if it runs on less than 3 cylinders or it will melt your rear wiring loom and plastics around the exhaust if you leave the cat in. Mirror stalks will rust sand back to bare metal use auto spray primer and satin black to fix.

#13 ·
im a regular to cape town . and have a benelli there . . never worry about parts as i can always bring if necessery .

a trek from russ will be A1

and ideal for the sa roads ie 80 miles straight perfect tarmac then 1 mile no tarmac but gravel then tarmac again . not tre land afraid .

#14 ·
I would like to ask myself what are the common faults of Benelli Tre K but I'm sure that you have written down many times about them :doh:

I was checking the site almost everyday the two previous weeks and from my point of view, the issues that a 1130 Tre K will have to face is

1)Z25 (I dont know what it is, but it has something to do with the gearbox)
2)Middle coil stick
3) Engine mounts (new one...:doh: )

What else?

I will have to wait for my Tre K for 2-3 weeks (they are waiting for a part that is, surprisingly, not in stock :confused: ), I spoke with Alex from KJM and he said to me that z25 has been changed, there are no cracks on the frame and "all necessary mods have been done" whatever that means. The bad thing is that I'm going for holidays at on 12th of August, I may need to wait a little bit more...:rolleyes:

I'm from Greece and I have also an Aprilia Dorsoduro 750 with more than 12000 miles on the clocks which it works perfect so I'm a bit familiar of italian bikes and I have a more positive attitude on facing simple problems than a TJB (Typical Japan Biker ;) )

What have I definitely got to pay attention at?

Thanx :clap:

#17 ·
Thank you mate, hope to see one of you when I get my bike, so I can listen a more experienced opinion... ;)
Esefar,
You have good taste, the Benelli may be more 'Italian' than you have been used to!
(A mate has a 750 Aprilia Shiver Sport & reckons they're as reliable as a Japanese bike, not a bad thing!)
Cheers.:D

#18 ·
Pilgrim

Thanx mate, but don't think that there was nothing wrong on those 12000 miles...:rolleyes:

There was nothing major or expensive, just italian shit that pisses you of...
It is a great bike for a small island, but anywhere else than that, you need power and air protection... ;)

I want to believe that Tre K has nothing that it doesn't get sorted out. :)

And that is why I'm asking...:clap:

#19 ·
For the price (anniversary deal) I can live with some minor niggles if they are fairly reasonable and not too serious (mirror stalks, coil sticks are small niggles really)

But the frame issue is making the hair on my neck stand up.

Frankly any repair will crack again and a new frame will crack too - the fact that benelli will not answer wether or not replacement frames are sorted is very alarming.

I can see this going to the courts.

Do you guys know there is a massive court case in USA with Ducati as they replaced faulty fuel tanks with like for like, the replacements deformed due to a USA fuel addiditive. Going to cost them lots of cash. I dare say a big court case in Europe would be very hard on Benelli if they were found to be negligent, the legal costs alone would be staggering. Frankly the product is not fit for the purpose.

#20 ·
BorderHooner

You don't have to worry about the niggles for 2 years anyway as its under warranty.

With regards to the engine mounts I personally think its tension related so there might not need to be a new frame just replacement and set to right torque with spacers to relive excess stress on the frame.

I have an 899 tre-k and it hasn't changed my feelings for the bike one bit its a lovely piece of kit I ride it hard I may part ex it in a year for the 1130 see how the money goes.

If the frame does go on me early retirement :clap:

#21 · (Edited)
You don't have to worry about the niggles for 2 years anyway as its under warranty.

With regards to the engine mounts I personally think its tension related so there might not need to be a new frame just replacement and set to right torque with spacers to relive excess stress on the frame.

I have an 899 tre-k and it hasn't changed my feelings for the bike one bit its a lovely piece of kit I ride it hard I may part ex it in a year for the 1130 see how the money goes.

If the frame does go on me early retirement :clap:
Oh but I do have to worry - because I am taking my machine out of the UK to South Africa to live. As I can't just 'pop' along to Russ Bennett, it becomes my responsibility to sort sh*t out. Russ may ship parts to me to offset labour fees, but I need to have diagnosis confirmed and then sort it out when the parts arrive. Can you imagine import duty and VAT on a frame into an African country like RSA - and I then have transfer all parts to the new frame.

Once the 2 years are up you have to then deal with any issues that are unresolved during warranty period - such as replacement frames re-cracking.

And then when you can't ride the bike, and no fecker will buy it because it's useless - Houston has a problem.

And then the dream is over and the coffee scent finally enters your nostrils.

The tubular steel spars which bolt to the engine are the right design but in my mind - as a time served aircraft airframes service personall in the Royal air Force - I suspect, but am not stating as fact, that what we are dealing with is simply poor quality steel.

Obviously the fatigue is going to first show at the point of greatest stress. And this has happened.

If all that is required is a simple spacer, then there will be a recall - as spacers are far far cheaper than replacing frames.

But there is no recall.

I very very much doubt Benelli are hiding from us the requirement of a simple spacer. I am sure they have very competent design engineers, computer aided programmes, lots of resources - if they can't spot the need for a spacer then we're all fecked.

:doh:

#22 ·
Point Taken

Some of the reasons I think Benelli isn't doing a recall is as they are struggling like most other companies, they don't want to do a recall as they don't have enough data to suggest there is a need to recall all bike cheaper to replace the defective as and when when you consider the TNT uses the same frame!

Bear in mind I'm not sure they done a recall on the z25 gear either just changed it on new machines (someone correct me if I'm wrong)

The worst case senario is that like the other user Ackers you get it welded locally?

I'm in a similar situation 130 round trip for servicing and if anything goes wrong finding the time to take it back to be looked like I have nothing better to do! which I've had to do once already. Juggling work with child care is bad enough.

If I was in your situation I probably wouldn't go ahead with it not because of the frame that relatively simple for a local welder but more so if anything goes wrong like clocks, stepper motor, coil stick, z25 I wouldn't feel confident doing work myself with any amount of help from the forum even with parts supplied under warranty.

Having said that The 1130 is an awesome bike for the money best in its class only downside is fuel economy :(

All the best with your decision making :)

#23 ·
Hi all , I have just ridden a 2009 trek 1130 and fallen in love ! Problems are , previous owner deceased , so have no service history with it [done 7800 miles]
Also I do not seem to be able to find anyone listed who services/mends these bikes . I am in Gloucestershire , but do not mind travelling . Any help greatly appreciated !!

#24 ·
I had my Tre-K mended by Raw Power Motorcycles in Hereford so not too far. They are a Benelli franchise but obviously only selling the newer 125s, 300s and 500s. I'm not sure if they would have a lot of enthusiasm for fixing more major faults (after the problems that my Tre-K gave them), but to be fair to them, apart from dealing with the delay in receiving spares, they have been pretty good to me and not too expensive either. Other than Raw Power, I used to either ride mine to Barnsley or to Moto Corsa in Shaftsbury for a service.
You could buy my Tre-K which has got a service history but has done 28,000 miles? It's advertised in the Classified section. Tre-K 1130 For Sale UK. £4000.

#28 ·
Understood. You can have mine for £3250 if you want. Full history and receipts. MOT until October . It will need new tyres soon and possibly chain and sprockets but apart from that I can include a spare coil stick (just in case) and an official Benelli Tank bag. Let me know soon as it will probably be gone as a trade in next week.

#33 ·
I bought my Tre-K 1130 from Bennetts back in Sept 2014 - it's first registered Sept 2011. It had a new frame carried out by them with a receipt to prove it before I bought it. I still have it and can't see another bike I want unless I had shed loads of money.
I had 8800 miles on purchase - it's now done exactly 16000 (+ a few more when the rear wheel pickup stopped working).
Did a 350 mile trip to the Lakes on Sunday and could still walk when I got home.
Other than the speedo sender and a starter solenoid the bike has been totally reliable and serviced by me.
You have to look after the battery if you don't want to buy a new one every year!
It's the only bike I've had that does not have a rear chicken strip - I traded a Ducati 999 in for it.
I need to get the suspension, front & back, upgraded this coming winter.
It's totally standard other than the rear tail. Though I did mod the airbox to get more air in during a major service a few years back.
It's a bit thirsty but I can live with that.
There was a slight vibration before I changed the rear sprocket to one with an extra tooth.
I can see it being the last bike I own - I was 61 yesterday!!
Totally love it.
Regards,
Mark.

#35 ·
The power mapping button can only be changed with the ignition off. (or so I am lead to believe). Button out - light on = full power, Button depressed - light off = softer response. (unless the tiny bulb has blown in which case the light is "off" in both modes!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.