Benelli Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Font Rectangle Screenshot Multimedia Gadget

Had a terrible day with the trek cutting out on me yesterday. It always does a bit but this was a bad day, nearly left me with a flat battery. I can't put my finger on it, the only things different was, i done an oil and filter change, last time i filled up with E10 and it didn't seem to like it but then settled down. The problems seem to start if i switch to full power mapping in town, but that may be a coincidence. Could it be a mapping issue and can I raise the idle from the tuneecu. The reading above is with the engine not running, it's a bit early to start her up now. Of course if i start it up now it will be fine

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
It probably is a combination of idle co and lower section of map. What is the tps sitting at at idle? if it anything above zero it is using the map for idle. The co correction and idle correction are just random numbers and don’t mean actual co, you would need a gas analyser to check it. i Had a similar issue on one map so just stick with the other.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks GBo, I've been trying to adjust the idle or keeping it high via the cable adjuster on the left of the engine. Is this a good thing to do or should I slacken it off, i ask because I've read about the ecu finding its own idling mixture

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've set the idle at 1200 approx via the screw otherwise it's too low, the tps reads 1.
I've been for a quick ride and it cut out about 6 times when throttle shut in traffic, very frightening on roundabouts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Give it a go. The ideal setup relies on many factors butterfly opening, bypass screws, idle co and a functioning stepper motor, I haven’t found a perfect sequence for this. Was it working ok once? If so has anything changed?

·
6,025 Posts
The ECU should be controlling the idle speed. It shouldn't be set with the stops or any leakage past the butterflies.
If the throttles are properly synchronised, the idle mixture is set so that the engine idles smoothly and the stepper is set at the correct # steps for the ECU type, the stalling will be minimised. It can be further minimised by adjusting the idle speed in the map from 1200 to 1250 or even 1300, and the idle mixture set slightly rich.
Have a look here for a sync procedure that works for me, be aware though, that this is for a Sagem ECU. Walbros control their steppers slightly differently, so consult your workshop manual.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I see, can TuneECU tell me if the throttles are in sync or do i need to delve under there. At the moment if i slacken off the cable adjuster the bike idles, just, at around 950rpm but tends to be erratic . Do i set this on adjustments where it says target rpm or on the actual mapping.

·
6,025 Posts
.. can TuneECU tell me if the throttles are in sync or do i need to delve under there. At the moment if i slacken off the cable adjuster the bike idles, just, at around 950rpm but tends to be erratic . Do i set this on adjustments where it says target rpm or on the actual mapping.
TuneECU can't tell you if the throttles are in sync. You need to remove the airbox and get your hands dirty.

950 is WAY too low. Are you sure the stepper is even working?

In order to raise the idle speed you need to download the map from the ECU, edit the idle map & upload it. Don't do anything until you get the engine running properly though.

·
6,025 Posts
.. why is it not good practice to adjust via the knob adjuster thereby leaving the butterflies open a little.
If the butterflies are open even slightly during tuning, the ECU won't be fully in control. Once its tuned, use it at your leisure, but I don't see why you would need it if it is tuned correctly.

The Tornado doesn't need (or have) the manual adjuster. If you want it to have a higher idle speed, simply edit the map. You'd only want to do that if stalling is a problem, and you haven't been able to tune it out.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've recently had it mapped and it's not bad apart from the idling, i've set the idle screw as a temporary measure for now ,reason being all this stalling and pressing the starter has caused a change in tack in my head of worries. Because the starter sometimes sticks i am now going to do what i've been putting off far too long and that is check the z25 business . So grab a coffee ,get comfy in your lazyboy and get ready to have a good laugh at a total newb in unchartered territories. See some of you in the next post if you haven't already given up on me

1 - 14 of 14 Posts