Benelli Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
6,025 Posts
The ECU should be controlling the idle speed. It shouldn't be set with the stops or any leakage past the butterflies.
If the throttles are properly synchronised, the idle mixture is set so that the engine idles smoothly and the stepper is set at the correct # steps for the ECU type, the stalling will be minimised. It can be further minimised by adjusting the idle speed in the map from 1200 to 1250 or even 1300, and the idle mixture set slightly rich.
Have a look here for a sync procedure that works for me, be aware though, that this is for a Sagem ECU. Walbros control their steppers slightly differently, so consult your workshop manual.

·
6,025 Posts
.. can TuneECU tell me if the throttles are in sync or do i need to delve under there. At the moment if i slacken off the cable adjuster the bike idles, just, at around 950rpm but tends to be erratic . Do i set this on adjustments where it says target rpm or on the actual mapping.
TuneECU can't tell you if the throttles are in sync. You need to remove the airbox and get your hands dirty.

950 is WAY too low. Are you sure the stepper is even working?

In order to raise the idle speed you need to download the map from the ECU, edit the idle map & upload it. Don't do anything until you get the engine running properly though.

·
6,025 Posts
.. why is it not good practice to adjust via the knob adjuster thereby leaving the butterflies open a little.
If the butterflies are open even slightly during tuning, the ECU won't be fully in control. Once its tuned, use it at your leisure, but I don't see why you would need it if it is tuned correctly.

The Tornado doesn't need (or have) the manual adjuster. If you want it to have a higher idle speed, simply edit the map. You'd only want to do that if stalling is a problem, and you haven't been able to tune it out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts