Benelli Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Benellissimo
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As usual the PDF that passes for a manual has confused me....
There's a large black twiddly thing on the side of the rear shock with 2 arrows on it, one sayiing (I think) hard, the other soft. Now, if this is the preload adjustment, what's the C spanner in the toolkit for? I'm out to trek of abroad and 2 up with luggage it could do with a bit more preload. Tried turning the large black adjusting thing but somehow it didn't feel liike preload and half to one turn doesn't seem to make a huge difference? Anybody know? :confused:

·
northern member
2004 Tornado
623 Posts
Ash, I alway wind the knob to hard when I've the Mrs on the back it seem not to compress as far I think it a preload for the shock not the spring so it must up the compression in the shock me thinks:confused: (ready to be put right by some smart ass on here, thats if the word ass gets through to word police:rolling: )

·
Benellissimo
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx Steve. It's that fuggin manual. Says in the picture that (2) is the preload but in the words that its damping :doh:

·
Registered
332 Posts
Rear Shock Preload

Hi

See pics below - the big knob IS the preload. On mine it moves the spring 6mm from hardest to softest - takes quite a few turns, but you should be able to see the spring move a bit. The damping is at the bottom of the shock where it connects to the linkage. First pic is softest, second is hardest. PS have upgraded mine if anyone wants to buy this..

·
Registered
332 Posts
new shock

Hi

I fitted a Hagon shock that I bought for my TNT - it's a little shorter, so drops the ride hight a bit, but the spring is a better strength - standard one is too hard. Yes, much better. Now need to get some decent front forks to replace the pogo sticks that come as standard.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
hi again robin the front forks on mine and a few others i know are definitely not like pogo sticks at all i would look into that .MAYBE ITS MY XTRA FEW POUNDS I`VE PUT ON PR LOADING THE SPRINGS LOL .

·
Registered
332 Posts
fork damping

Hi Ferret

I've not seen another one to compare it to, except the one at Red Dog, and I didn't pay enough attention. My old TNT had almost no fork damping, but my new one is much better - but it's been fiddled with by Benelli, so they may have improved it. Tre-K forks will top out over speedbumps, and see-saw on a series of bumps at speed. Comfortable most of the time, but I can't push on as much as I should. Haven't got a special tool to remove the caps and check for cartridges and oil - does anyone have one? Seem to remember they're silly money from Benelli.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
sounds suicide riding a bike like that lol .I have really bad fen roads near me with more undulations than a wash board basically crap and i have never had any cause for concern over the front end it has allways stayed planted .Let me put it this way i was out last weekend with pillion out round all the twisty crap roads and 2 blade riders decided to chase me up hard so i had some fun with them .We left them for dead,at the next town we were in the garage fueling up and they came in for a chat .Both of thease guys said that they were all over the place while chasing us and were loosing there fillings lol.Both blades were 04s so they are good tools and were in good nick .Now this was over say 6 to 9 miles of varying surfaces and the front was allways planted ,in fact it was one of the reasons i did not buy another uylesses (buell ) even though the uly was quicker steering and more comfy .I would look into that as it does not sound correct at all .

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hi

I fitted a Hagon shock that I bought for my TNT - it's a little shorter, so drops the ride hight a bit, but the spring is a better strength - standard one is too hard. Yes, much better. Now need to get some decent front forks to replace the pogo sticks that come as standard.
so robin was the hagon just a standard tnt shock from hagon , and how much did it lower the ride height,
simon

·
Registered
332 Posts
hagon shock

Hi

Yes, it's a TNT shock. I've got a standard TNT and standard Tre-K shock on my garage shelf (where they belong), and the Tre-K is 2cm longer, though the fittings are the same top and bottom. The Hagon has never felt close to bottoming out with my 17 1/2 stone weight on it, though I don't carry a pillion. I didn't measure the before-and-after ride height, but it seems to be an inch or 2 lower. Obviously now I've lowered the back, the steering is slow, so next thing is to put Ohlins forks on, or maybe try lowering the standard forks through the yokes a bit. Trouble is there's not much room before they hit the handlebars.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
hi ya robin i dropped mine 27 mm through the top yoke to match lowering the rear end via new bottom linkage .thats the max you can get without further money being spent .

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hi

See pics below - the big knob IS the preload. On mine it moves the spring 6mm from hardest to softest - takes quite a few turns, but you should be able to see the spring move a bit. The damping is at the bottom of the shock where it connects to the linkage. First pic is softest, second is hardest. PS have upgraded mine if anyone wants to buy this..
so what is the little valve for ?COME ON SOME ONE MUST NO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts