Benelli Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks!
Anyone know more??
Are the Benelli importers going to find it difficult to shift new-old 04/05 Tornado 900's stock once this new emisions4 law comes into force next year?
I've heard the bike will struggle to pass!! So will they either ship them overseas, remap them or discount them even more to shift them on...Your veiws?:confused:

·
Ready for summer
381 Posts
upgrades

Yes that seems to be the case i got a new tre in mid June. They fitted an upgrade kit then had it SVA'ed. Not sure just what the upgrades are. But they were needed before the SVA :)

·
Registered
157 Posts
i also bought a tre in july, but hadnt heard of this issue is it to do with the bike not being fitted with a catalytic conventer like new jap 2009 models ? and what is a sva??

·
Registered
417 Posts
i also bought a tre in july, but hadnt heard of this issue is it to do with the bike not being fitted with a catalytic conventer like new jap 2009 models ? and what is a sva??
"The Motorcycle Single Vehicle Approval Scheme [MSVA] is a pre-registration scheme for motorcycles, three-wheeled and light four-wheeled vehicles that have not been type-approved to European standards. The main purpose of the scheme is to ensure that these vehicles have been designed and constructed to modern safety and environmental standards before they can be used on public roads."

When I weas toying with idea of a new one (very short lived) one dealer quoted SVA on top, another said was included.

·
Premium Member
4,429 Posts
Its a single vehicular approval certificate that exempts from vehicle regulations as the bike is tested to conformity for single build. Vosa have an inspection process (saw this ongoing the other day at MotoGB ). Think it wont affect old stock of Tornado's but newer bikes just launched New Tre-K 899 will have to conform (unless dispensation for low build numbers).

·
Registered
784 Posts
SVA= Single Vehicle Approval

Is a Pre-Registration Inspection for Motorcycles that have not been approved to European Standards.

Got beat to it.... :p

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No insurance cover??

:eek:
Its a single vehicular approval certificate that exempts from vehicle regulations as the bike is tested to conformity for single build. Vosa have an inspection process (saw this ongoing the other day at MotoGB ). Think it wont affect old stock of Tornado's but newer bikes just launched New Tre-K 899 will have to conform (unless dispensation for low build numbers).
Does this mean your buying an import and not a vehicle designed for the UK. As in not Uk spec. :confused:
You would need to declare this to your insurance as an unofficial import. Serious stuff for insurance cover I would pressume???:eek:

Am I correct anyone?:confused:

·
Registered
25 Posts
sva?

Hi Klinkerstinker, I bought my Tornado in june this year I presume its an 04/05 but plated 09. This is the first I have heard of this. Local dealer got it from Preston Superbike, as they are an official uk supplier I reckon there should be no problems . Gnome (20 miles past the end of the earth)

·
Registered
157 Posts
gnome check the vin number on the headstock the year of manufacture is in the middle of the number and will appear as 03 or 04 .
does this mean when my bike is due mot it will need this update done or it will fail ?
if this is the case moto gb and the benelli dealers should not be allowed to sell vehicles in the uk that dont conform to the regulations and they should update all bikes before selling to the public so that they are legal for purchase .

·
1,841 Posts
I am a bit confused here,the tornado was issued with a european wide type approval.The EC certificate of conformity was issued with my new RS. It states that....
The vehicle can be permanently registered without requiring any further approvals,for driving on the right/left and for using metric/imperialunits for the speedometer
The ec type approval no is e3*92/61*0169*02

·
Registered
55 Posts
Emissions

When the new emission laws start it will only apply to vehicles made after that date. Older vehicles wont be affected, in the same way as indicators when they were introduced. (i think:rolleyes: )

·
Registered
25 Posts
:eek:

Does this mean your buying an import and not a vehicle designed for the UK. As in not Uk spec. :confused:
You would need to declare this to your insurance as an unofficial import. Serious stuff for insurance cover I would pressume???:eek:

Am I correct anyone?:confused:
I can confirm that the tornado is considered an official import. when I bought mine earlier this year on a 09 plate the dealer had to get a letter from Benelli stating it was an official and current model before the licencing office in Inverness would issue documentation and allow the bike to be officially registered. (time for a rant):mad: unfortunatly for me the dealer had already given me the bike and I had covered 600 miles when they demanded to see the bike to verify the frame and engine numbers. I dropped the bike off for its first service and the dealer took it along to the licencing office where they inspected the bike. then some jobs worth decided that it could not be registered as a new bike due to mileage as you are only allowed a limited amount to be classed as delivery mileage.

In the end we went back to the official importer in preston who got it registered that day and sent a new registration number in the post with my tax disk:)

Cheers

·
Registered
47 Posts
May just add to the confusion!

According to documents I found on the DFT website, only Euro 3 is currently applicable to bikes. (see link):

http://www.dft.gov.uk/consultations/closed/consultvehicleemission/consultationmain?page=5

In another document on their sight it says that Euro 4 regulations for bikes will be proposed at some point this year (presumably for subsequent introduction in years to come. (see link p11):

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roads/vehicles/motorcycling/motorcyclingstrategyrevised.pdf

Further to this, one of the official EU websites and a press website indicate that Euro 4 will come in for bikes in 2012, followed by Euro 5 in 2015. (see links p3 and first para respectively):

http://ec.europa.eu/transport/strat..._of_transport/contributions/20090327_acem.pdf

http://green.autoblog.com/2008/12/10/europe-to-introduce-euro-5-emission-standards-for-motorcycles/

On top of all this, when it was all introduced for cars they set a date after which new designs had to be compliant at some Euro stages and then gave a year or two's leeway on current designs still in production to avoid the wrath of the manufacturers who had spent a lot on developement of their current vehicles.
And beyond this I have found reference to the fact that the dates apply to "date of first registration (or manufacture)" suggesting that existing tornado stock from 03/04 may not even need to meet Euro 3 which came in in 2007!

I seems to me that at least one of the government websites (DFT, VOSA, DVLA, etc...) ought to have a fairly clear explaination of all this, but sadly it appears not to be the case.

As regards SVA, if you have a V5 for the bike it means that it already has ECWVTA or SVA as you require one or other of these to register a vehicle (ECWVTA being the generic type approval for mass produced vehicles). Being on an SVA does not automatically mean that it's 'not a UK bike' as it also covers VLV (very low volume) vehicles. The fact is these bikes were imported as uk spec bikes that met the requirements at the time.
I suppose if you were really worried about the insurance situation you could register the bike on a 56 plate, thus avoiding both Euro 3 & 4 or else just speak to the insurer about it (if it's in their database as a current UK model then there is no problem and I know my 08 bike is in their database as such).

·
Registered
25 Posts
sva

Thanks Carrick Rab, My bikes an 04 on the vin number. I dont think its anything to worry about. If I do have problems in 3 years at mot time I have good lawyers in the family!!!, cheers Gnome( 20 miles past the end of the earth). Good to see Ian w on the forum I told him about it at the local bike shop.

·
No good with spanners....
MV F3 RC, TNT 899
3,417 Posts
Klinker,just a thought.when you pick the bike up just make sure the headlight dips the right way,there are a few out there that have the wrong lens on them(i'm speakin from experience here)!:doh: :doh:
I'm sure yours will be fine but maybe worth checking before you ride off into the sunset!!!:D

·
Registered
61 Posts
What I can't understand is why all the ranting

If you like the bike go out and enjoy the bike;

Ride the bike like it should be ridden:

Then at MOT time sod it and if it doesn;t pass buy another benelli and enjoy that one too:

I dont give a flying f**k about sva, approval or what ever else;

Get It .Ride It And Hopefully don't Crash It .

Anything Else Can Be Sorted:D :D :D :D

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Big topic...as I don't like mars bars.

I was only asking!!!:rolleyes:
My insurance asked...and I stumbled on the phone??:doh:
Thought this need asking, so I thought an old bearded owner with dog breath may know everything to do with Nelli's.
:rolling:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts