Benelli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope to get my caferacer back from dealer this weekend after some problems getting Axone connected, anyway I have read that Tuneboy are soon to release a kit for the TNT which is currently being tested by a UK dealer (anyone know who?)
I may consider getting this so I can be in controll of my own diagnostics etc.
Has anyone any experiance of this system ?, I have looked at the tune boy web site and it seems straight forward enough !

·
5,928 Posts
Tuneboy ..Has anyone any experiance of this system ?
I've had the diagnostics part of Tuneboy for my 900, for nearly 2 years. Works fine. It's good to know why the ECU light is on - and to be able to clear the error flags. (I've caused them a couple of times, doing dumb things)
Haven't tried the Editor yet. I think I need another key to make it work.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just picked up a cr today, going to pop around to wayne's tomorrow so he can have a play with the ecu. we should get some good stuff coming soon. he was thinking of doing a couple of cool things with the different map options, like a economy map and performance. keep you all posted.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Wayne hooked up the tuneboy and got a copy of the map which is the latest release in AU. However it is identified differently to those already released, so he is going to do a compare to see which generic one it is. We noticed that the valve which opens on the exhaust header is controlled by the ecu, so you could effectively open it all the time rather than removing it. In the not so fast mode, it opens at a much higher rev range.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Wayne hooked up the tuneboy and got a copy of the map which is the latest release in AU. However it is identified differently to those already released, so he is going to do a compare to see which generic one it is. We noticed that the valve which opens on the exhaust header is controlled by the ecu, so you could effectively open it all the time rather than removing it. In the not so fast mode, it opens at a much higher rev range.
Hello,

I am a bit confused. I was told that Tuneboy cannot read the Map from the ECU. Additionally how can you differentiate between the 2 maps?

I would appreciate some hints.

Best regards

Mark

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hi Guys,

I'm speaking from Triumph experience here - since I've had 2x 955 Speed Triples, and 1x 955 Daytona, and used TuneBoy / TuneEdit on them all (same ECU as the Benelli),

but - the TuneEdit software has been able to read/backup the current software in the ECU for a while now - although the very early versions could not.

When talking about a comparison -- I'd guess Wayne will do doing a straight binary compare of the files - although he might compare the fuel / ignition maps, and the Triumph tunes also had a number / two numbers associated with them (tune number/base tune number) - so it might be that the Benelli ones do too.

When you buy the TuneBoy cable - you are only paying for the cable, and you can then download and use the TuneBoy software for free -- this allows you to run some diagnostic functions, set the last serviced date, set the CO, reset the TPS, read stored fault codes, and clear the Malfunction Indicator Light / stored fault codes.

The TuneEdit software - requires a key - specific to your ECU -- and you can then download different tunes, make changes to the map, change the temperature at which the fans come on, and various other cool stuff.

overall - very good software - very good service/backup from Wayne, and as far as I know -- even better than the Axone (as - like the Triumph "gameboy" - it can only download pre-set tunes/software -- and does'nt allow you to make changes to the fuel/ign maps, etc)..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Wayne is going to borrow the bike this week to do some tests with the ecu. Because I have only ridden the bike 4 times so far (it only has 40k's on the clock) we won't chuck it on the dyno until I run it in a bit more. Once we get a base line, we will hook up a data logger to the co sensor and see what sort or readings we get, this way we can tune the bike without the need of a brake dyno based on the data from the road runs.

Yep, he pulled the map out and we could quite easily see which one it probably was, but yes he will probably do a binary compare.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well got the tuneboy kit for the TNT from the UK dealer

Malcernie ltd

first the tune edit would not load the tnt tunes, so they sent up dated files which changed the version and loaded the tunes, next the serial No from the bike only had 9 digits and should have had 10, more updated files and get 10 digits, but still wrong as it had a letter in it and should have been numeric, Malcernine finally mailed an unlock code. The diagnostics just does not open, (they are looking into it) the software does not fully support the tnt CR ecu and can't back up or read it. Malcernie claim the tunes with the software are factory maps but I think Benelli have had some updates so how can I be sure whats on the ECU and with no back up I am no way loading anything. When I complained to Malcernie about this and the fact I can't set the tps, tickover targets or the fan temps and told them I was considering returning the kit, I got a mail saying " if you feel like that send it back", IT'S GOING BACK THEN I don't want £230 worth of kit that does not work

·
Registered
73 Posts
:( :( I waited for good news from you!

For ours Benelli the best ECU control are the Powercommander!! and widebandcommander if you make airbox and exaust modifications.

you read the logs (file *.txt ) from WBC, convert with excel two examples:

or direct values air/fuel :

then prepare you own map at home!!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi rionero963,

This system looks interesting, I have looked at the wideband comannder web site, good tutorials, BUT does it work on Benelli TNT ?.

I will hope to get my re-fund then investigate this poer comander system in a lot more detail before making another purchase, any details you have on this would be helpfull

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Thanks for posting the pics rionero963,

I have a couple of questions

1. does the kit come with the boss you have welded to the exhaust for the O2 sensor

2. does the wide band connect to the power comander and update the map from the data it collects or just record the A/F data

3. I notice it does not use the connections to the ECU (as the tune boy does) where does it connect to

4. where did you find room to mount the units on the bike

cheers

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thanks for posting the pics rionero963,

I have a couple of questions

1. does the kit come with the boss you have welded to the exhaust for the O2 sensor

re: YES !!

2. does the wide band connect to the power comander and update the map from the data it collects or just record the A/F data

re: The WBC module using its internal memory,when you have a datalog session open, you can go to the “File” menu and select “Export Data”. This will allow you to export the data as a text file, and from there you can save it in a format that can be imported easily into Excel.

3. I notice it does not use the connections to the ECU (as the tune boy does) where does it connect to

re: The Dynojet Power Commander plugs inline with your bike’s stock fuel injection system original.

before (orig): ECU>>FUEL INJECTION , after: ECU>>PWC>>F. INJECTION

4. where did you find room to mount the units on the bike

re: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: I have asked at my wife
:D :D

Ciao

·
Registered
5 Posts
Busaguy
Sorry you had such a bad time with the TuneBoy software on your bike.
The serial number problem was because of a null in the serial number of your ECU, this made it display as nine digits instead of ten. I had to make changes to the program to detect this and display this correctly, this is why the version number for TuneEdit changed.
I know it does not help but we have no way to know in advance that a problem like this will happen and the best we can do is to get an update to the customer as soon as we can.
As for the diagnostic program not starting, the version of TuneBoy for the Walbro ECU on the TnT does not support diagnostics at the moment, this is why we list it at a reduced price. It does say this on the www.tuneboy.com.au web site.
The resetting of the throttle position and other info is done through the TuneEdit program.
Diagnostic support for the Walbro ECU will be added soon and any existing customers will be able to use this without any extra cost.
The maps we have for the TnT are the latest versions and are exactly the same as the maps loaded from the Axone service tool.
The TuneBoy software allows you to adjust the fuel maps, ignition maps, rev limit, exhaust flap and will allow adjusting of the thermo fan settings very soon. It allows these adjustments for both sets of maps in the ECU.
The PCIII allows fuel trims, that is all.
The PCIII will apply the same trim values for both map modes on the TnT so a map created for one map mode will not be right for the other mode.
Again I am sorry you where not happy with your purchase.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Busaguy -- based on previous experience -- I'd say give Wayne (Tuneboy author) a little time to sort the issues out ...

In my experience he's always been very helpful, and quick to respond to problems -- it sounds like you just have a few teething issues -- which I imagine Wayne will fix as quickly as he can !

As mentioned in other posts -- adding an extra box of tricks, a bunch of connectors, etc (i.e. a powercommander) -- just makes diagnosing problems more difficult.

The TuneBoy / TuneEdit software doesn't add anything extra to the bike -- you just plug the cable in when required, and remove it when done.

as mentioned in the previous post -- there are a bunch of other reasons to go for TuneBoy rather than a powercommander too..

I've used the software on several Triumphs - and it's worked great -- and I plan to exchange my Triumph fittament cable for a Tornado fittament one shortly.

anyway ... just my own experience / opinions ..

·
340 Posts
just to confirm what terry says. I have also recently bought the tuneboy but used it until now only on my Triumph Rocket III (even if it has different ECU) excellent results and fully reversible in case you did something wrong (some are reluctant on changing ECU data) no need for cables and attach new boxes (place is very limited on our bikes). It takes some time to get around the connectivity problems depending on what notebook is used.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OK Tuneboy, (is that Wayne?) I have not sent the kit back yet (been out on the bike this weekend,) if I hold on to it how long before diagnostics ready, and how do I re set throttle pos from the tune edit?, I have had a tickover issue so will I be able to set the tickover targets as well? I think you have my E Mail addy so can you let me know, and is it ok to deal direct with you rather than the UK dealer ( who never mentioned that is was not fully supporting the Walbro yet). the tune that comes up with the serial No is

TUNE = WBE400AU

is that the same as the TNT02 tune ?

cheers

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Many thanks Tuneboy,

Now we appear to be getting on the right track, I have a mate coming over there for Newyear, if we get this sorted (and you are not to far from where he is going) I will get a beer sorted for you

:)

1 - 20 of 55 Posts