Benelli Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Cafe Racer member
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After watching and reading the different posts on Tuneboy and reading some of the Triumph posts, there seems to be different opinions about what this software can do or will do.

My original impression was that one could purchase the Tuneboy software, attach an Innovate LC-1 wide band O2 sensor and then ride the bike with everything connected and then log the real time data.
You could then read and analyze the log and readjust the Map to new settings.

Well after installing every thing including the Tuneboy version 3.6.6,with LC-1 This is what I can do
I can see RPM, TPS, O2 voltage in real time.:ele:
I can set the system to Log and I will save a log in a .log format- not a file that can be imported into Excel or my Logworks.
:mad:

I have emailed Tuneboy support a few times now and have also emailed the sales and have not had any emails returned from technical support. I did get an email from Sales stating that they will remind tech support. - NOTHING. emailed a few days later stating I had no replies. - Nothing - No Response from sales now. This is now going into the third week.

What you cannot do with Tuneboy software on Benelli 1130 with Walbro ECU.
You cannot read the existing original map - you can make a backup of it - then you have to send it to Tuneboy and get them to convert it to a Tuneboy compatible map. I sent Tuneboy the backup Now I cannot do any testing until I am sure I have a valid back up.
I cannot read the .log file or know what software supports it.
I cannot see what version of the Map is installed in my ECU

The software is written for different ECU systems that use a common skin with options and descriptions, plus the software has been upgraded to different versions.
The User manual is very very poor as it covers the basics and does not explain that certain options are only available for a Sagem, Keihin, or Walbro
Some of the chapters do state some of this but in general not much.
With the Walbro ECU we basically have to fly by the seat of our pants.
When searching for the logging problem on Triumph forums , I came across another Nellie owner (Sagem ECU) that was having similar problems and also did not have a response from Tuneboy support.
The Triumph guys also had a problem with trying to log.
User were using Tuneboy version 2.4 that logged and saved it in an Excel compatible file. I do not think this version works with the Walbro ECU.

The following points are from the TuneEdit user manual version 3.4

Features

• Backup ECU contents (Sagem ECU only); I can backup (walbro ECU)I can not re-download or read backup
• Read the current tune from the bike (Sagem ECU only); I cannot do this
• Download the factory tunes to the bikes ECU;I can not do this without first sending file to Tuneboy
• Download third party tunes; I could probably do this- I have not tried it.
• Modify the current tune in the ECU; I cannot do or read this tune from my ECU
• Save tunes and exchange them with other bike owners who own this TuneEdit software; I could do this once I have made a tune
• Make changes, small or large, to the fuel and ignition tables; Yes once I decide on a base tune or my original.
• Change the ECU controlled rev limit; The option is there but can I do it without screwing up my original map.
• Change thermo fan turn on/off point (currently Sagem ECU);Same as above
• Apply Power Commander (PCIII) trim maps over the standard tune; I have this option
• Use the DynoJet Tuning link software to remap ECU; I have this option
• Export the tune tables in MS Excel format for analysis; There is an export option that is greyed out. So no I cannot do thisI did load a Triumph Tune and this option is supported.
• Get real time information from the ECU as the bike is running. YES! YES! this works:ele: The only EFing thing that does.

Bottom Line is
If you take your bike to a Dyno and they are Tuneboy literate then you may use Tuneboy to Reprogram or download a new Map.

If you are wanting to do your own logging and map making - be careful. - you may not be getting what you have expected.

Once I get mine working suitably I will create a TNT user manual of how to's and what works and what does not. (really with regards to self logging) and with the help of others on this forum, using different logging devices we could put together a Tuneboy how to section.

Now who can tell me what sw. will read my .log file. I can email a sample of it.

Paul:mad:

·
Registered
71 Posts
TuneBoy log file

Hi Paul

You appear to be in a similar position to me. I have TuneBoy and an Innovate LC-1, but yet to adjust/ remap the ECU. Also a bit dissapointed that the full functionality is yet to be added for the Benelli! That said Wayne at Tuneboy has always responded within 24 hrs when I've hassled him.

This is a viewer you can use to see the A/F ratio, TPS and RPM from your log file created with TuneEdit and the LC-1:

If you download http://www.tuneboy.com.au/Support/TB_Log_TNT.zip you will find a program to view the logs made with TuneEdit.
There is a log file included in the zip for you to view.
Start the TBLogViewer.exe
Click the "Open Log" button and select the log file.
You will now see a graph showing the RPM and TPS from the ECU and the A/F values from the LC-1.
Click the forward and backward buttons to move through the log.
Click on the "Map View" tab and you will see a map of the average A/F values at each point in the fuel map, these are coloured green if they are good, blue if they are rich and red if they are lean.
The red goes from light to dark depending on how lean it is.

·
Cafe Racer member
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Beero Thanks for that.
Of what I have read Wayne has responded well to most emails. But myself and the other Benelli owner we seem to be out of luck. I can understand if he is away on vacation or something like that but when his better half says she will remind him, and then stops responding then I don't know.

I will install the package and try it.

Could you maybe put together your impressions what does work and what does not work in the software and the greyed out options that do not apply to your ECU.

Any one else to give their input on this - more than welcome

As for the diagnostics Wayne has said he will eventually get around to this. He is working on developing software for other ECU's which I can understand is more important than a diagnostic upgrade. He still asked in another post whether diagnostics was really a requirement.

Paul

·
Cafe Racer member
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It works

Beero I can read my log. :bow:

Now to do a proper log on the road. :D

Paul :ele: :ele: :ele: :ele:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Good news

Hey paul good to hear your up and running as far as reading the files you create. :clap:
Now for an exciting ride with cable ties all over the bike and a laptop on your back to get the data required........

I'm on hold with TuneEdit at the moment as my bike is out of action. I thought it a good idea yesterday to check if I had the latest Starter
/ Alternator shaft and gear fitted. Its still got the type that fail so I'm hoping to get the revised items as soon as possible. I don't think its worth risking.....looking at what has happened to vtxbrit's engine! :doh:

look forward to getting my bike back running and having a go with TuneEdit, but for the meantime it looks like you will be paving the way for the rest of us!

·
Cafe Racer member
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
File Feature for Walbro ECU

I have done some screen captures of the Tool Bar in TuneEdit for Walbro (Benelli 1130) ECU’s and tried to explain what each feature does.
File Feature

Open Tune File – open an already created tune file saved on your computer.

Save Tune file – Save your newly modified or an existing file with a new name to your computer. Suggest you rename your file first before modifying it, then when you save it you will still have the original unmodified file.

Apply PCIII Map – You need an already created PCIII Map to open up and apply. (More info needed here possibly by other users.)

Export not available - You cannot export Maps to Excel in the Walbro version of this software.
Connect to ECU - Once your cables are all connected to the bike you can use this option to communicate to the ECU.

I will get some photos of the cable connections and insert to here as well.

·
Cafe Racer member
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Edit Feature

A Tune file is a Tuneboy map with all the stored data, a/f ratios, rev limits and temp settings. Tuneboy has some of these files on their web site, as well as you getting some with your software. Other Benelli owners will create their own maps to suit current bike modifications and their altitude/weather conditions at time of logging and modifying Map. These Maps can be transferred to other users of Tuneboy with a similar modified bike.

Copy Table – Makes a copy of the current table that you are viewing. Can’t see the use of this unless you wanted to copy a table from another Map. eg. A modified Map 1 but did not want to modify the existing Map 2. Other wise just open another Map and save it as your new one. You cannot copy a Map1 and paste to Map2.
Anyone have more useful information on this?

Paste Table – Once you have copied the table that you wanted from a Tune file then you can now paste it into the current page of the next Tune file.. (This table is stored in the clipboard.)

Rev Limit – You can adjust the RPM level where the ECU starts cutting fuel to the injectors.

Thermo Fans – You can adjust when the cooling fans come on and switch off. This setting is in Celsius.

Edit Notes – You can include some notes as to what tune this is. Eg. Benelli 1130 TNT 2007 Modded airbox,DNA filter and Mivv Pipe.

Tune Constants – Allows you to adjust throttle position, and C0.Anyone have more useful information on this?
You can adjust the Idle speed . You can also calibrate speedometer. If you have a factory O2 sensor you can enable – disable it.

·
Cafe Racer member
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
View Features

Download Log – No idea. Download log from where? Is this the same as the Download Button at bottom left of Mapping window?
What is No Key for ROM edit? Anyone have more useful information on this?

Normal Display/Wide Display – This option does not change on my computer system.

Novice User / Advanced User– Toggles between the 2. All info is 0’s for Novice user. Novice User will see the fuel trim table that can be adjusted in percentages. The Ignition Table is not in percentage. I suggest you do not adjust your ignition tables.BIG PROBLEMS may occur.
Show 3D Graph - This option allows you to view the Map in a 3D profile

Map Mode 2 – Toggles from Map 1 to Map 2. You know- the TNT button. Good to change Map 2 to a more economical fuel Map for touring. Also good for setting bike to low emissions and noise if you keep the air filter and exhaust valves operating. Any one know how to enable this software switch (if it is possible) so you do not have to turn bike off and then on again to enable the second Map?

·
5,934 Posts
I've had Tuneboy for several years now (for my Sagem ECU) and found that communication with Wayne can be sporadic. I think he's a very busy fellow.

Although I've got all the gear to log data, and go down the route you, and others have gone, I'm currently in the process of installing a Motty AFR Tuner. This automates the whole process - in real time - all the time.

The hardest thing about fitting the AFR Tuner, is finding the connectors to allow a "plug-in", rather than a "cut and shut" installation.

·
Cafe Racer member
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I've had Tuneboy for several years now (for my Sagem ECU) and found that communication with Wayne can be sporadic. I think he's a very busy fellow.
I do appreciate that he is busy but I am into the third week without a response.
I am getting through it slowly with the help of others.
My biggest issue is I could not read my .log file and I do not have a backup to download and adjust for my bike. (I do have the original factory backup but cannot use it until Wayne decodes it.)

So am now trying to create something that will help others in the future on the Walbro ECU's. and get some answers for my unknowns - Like Download log.
I think somebody on this forum should do something similar for the Sagem ECU's.
including how to log.

·
Cafe Racer member
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tools features

All greyed out areas are not available for the Benelli 1130 ECU.
Which means you cannot Read Map from ECU or Identify what Map is in the ECU. This kind of sucks.

Commit trims to main tables – Tuneboy suggests that you work with the trim tables and not changing the main tables in that you have a better feel for how far you have deviated from the baseline tune that you are working from. Tuneboy suggest committing to main tables only after the tune has been refined, using the trim Tables.

Get ECU serial number
– This opens up a window with the ECU’s serial number and a place to insert the software key supplied by Tuneboy that is assigned to your serial number.

Backup ECU contents – This allows you to take a copy of the contents of the ECU before you make any changes with the TuneEditing software.
At the moment the only way to restore the backup is to send the file to
[COLOR="Blue"][email protected][/COLOR] they will convert it into a tune file that TuneEdit can download.(All very well if they reply to your emails and do the convert.)
Problem with this is how do you know what version or map you are using without sending this file to Tuneboy. Does one download some other Tuneboy map to the ECU, and then start from there. For example my bike runs well but very rich. All I want to do is decrease the fueling where necessary, not load some unknown map and find problems with it.

Start Power commander emulation
– If you want to connect the Tune edit software (laptop) to a Dyno. Makes the Dyno think it is connected to a PCIII. How to use Tune Link with Tune Edit More info needed.

Start Logging
– Once the Laptop and LC-1 are connected to the bike, get a nice stretch of road, Enable start logging – give it a file name. OK. Take a run down the road, Pull in Clutch, use kill switch and kill motor. Stop bike and then stop logging. Reason why I suggest switch bike off and coast to stop so that you know where the end of your file is, as it will continue recording all details until you stop logging. Something like the old plug chops. If engine is off you will get a straight line from that point onwards.
What would be the best gear to use for the run?

Recover from a failed download – have not tested this option, a bit self explanatory.
User manual states for Keihin ECU (??)
I would suggest Turn bike off. Close down Tune Edit, restart Tune Edit and switch ignition on and try the download again.
Anyone have more useful information on this?

·
Cafe Racer member
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Options Feature

Properties – You can add software keys for other ECU’s, Setup the coms port on your computer to communicate with the bikes ECU, the LC-1 and the Tuning link port to Dyno . Change languages and also the comms wait time. If you are having difficulty communicating with the ECU you can slow down the wait time. The default is 24.
More information needed.

Slow download mode - If the download starts and a “timeout” message appears after the squares start to fill in on
the progress bar. Then use this mode.

·
Cafe Racer member
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
For Colintornado

This is a viewer you can use to see the A/F ratio, TPS and RPM from your log file created with TuneEdit and the LC-1:

If you download http://www.tuneboy.com.au/Support/TB_Log_TNT.zip you will find a program to view the logs made with TuneEdit.
Start the TBLogViewer.exe
Click the "Open Log" button and select the log file.
You will now see a graph showing the RPM and TPS from the ECU and the A/F values from the LC-1.
Click the forward and backward buttons to move through the log.
Click on the "Map View" tab and you will see a map of the average A/F values at each point in the fuel map, these are coloured green if they are good, blue if they are rich and red if they are lean.
The red goes from light to dark depending on how lean it is.
Colin I am using version 3.66 tunedit. This sw has a built in data logger and the viewer is located at http://www.tuneboy.com.au/Support/TB_Log_TNT.zip Thanks to Beero for this.

What type of calibration problems(symptoms) were you having with your innovate lc-1
Still waiting for my tech support from Tuneboy. Into fourth week now.

Just one other note. You will be using the Sagem version of this sw (tunedit), so I do not know what features work and do not work.

Paul

·
1,841 Posts
The lc-1 would work what seemed correct (looking at af gauge) then after 1 to 10 engine starts show what was obviously wrong until reset.
Innovate did have a post confirming some units were faulty (I cant find it now) and when i contacted them they sent a new one (not yet fitted).:doh: i will fit it soon !

·
Cafe Racer member
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
bump

Will ask Wayne to read this thread and add his input to it, Hopefully we can get a couple of the unanswered questions taken care of.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Does the innovate has a "free air" calibration setup.

Our motec has to be done regularly as the difference in mV between reading properly and reading rubbish is very small. As soon as it gets any sort of deposits on it it start reading rich.

Even changing sensor needs a calibration as the resisters built into the sensor's connector arent all 100% the same.

Aarron

·
Cafe Racer member
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Does the innovate has a "free air" calibration setup.

Our motec has to be done regularly as the difference in mV between reading properly and reading rubbish is very small. As soon as it gets any sort of deposits on it it start reading rich.

Even changing sensor needs a calibration as the resisters built into the sensor's connector arent all 100% the same.

Aarron
Yes it does. Re calibrated it a few times out of pipe. Made 1 mistake ran the sensor in the bike without power to the heater. Believe this might have damaged it. was not aware this would happen. Ever tried cleaning it from those deposits? If I have time I might go up to Innovate today and get them to check both. and probably have to get a new sensor.

·
Banned
394 Posts
hi all tried to connect to tune ecu today and got nothing all is this system compatible with windows 8?,
will i have to download drivers and if from were?
please forgive me as this is very new to me and i am not the best at computers all help welcome guys

thanks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts