Benelli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TuneBoy arrived today (thanks Ian) and wasted no time in downloading latest software and installing it on my laptop... plugging in the ECU and sending off key request to Australia :D

Had a quick look at the TuneBoy program to see what it could do as well.
You press a button on the laptop and the temp guage and tacho needle moves! How cool is that :ele:

Sensors screen has loads of info.. have uploaded some pics to my gallery here

Plan is (time permitting as always :( ) is to get bike dyno'd as is, then to get new can fitted, run with super UL, get the 6105 map on and go visit dyno again... and maybe even get them to play with the map if 6105 needs tweaking. Will of course post results... just dont expect to see them soon!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Wow.. sounds like a nice plan. I wish you good luck. I am a bit disillusioned after buying the Tuneboy. Even a simple setting like lowering the idle speed didn´t work. It shows the correct settings, but engine doesn´t care.

I think the default map is 6103 on my RS and the idle speed is set to 1350 as default. I changed to 1250... nothing. I changed to 1200.. nothing. Even changing to 1000... nothing. And yes, I pushed the "download" button (which means actually not download but upload, coz you UPload the new settings to the ECU).

Anyway... maybe i will take some more time to waste my time with it. Right now, I can say: waste of money. Even it is nice to have the (theoretical) possibility of changes.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Other seems to have some problems with the Tuneboy. You can get more info and advise under Discussion Area, PC, Tuneboy, Factory Maps. Hope it helps you.

/Lars

·
1,841 Posts
Dirk, my tuneboy/tune edit work correctly. The 6103 map if opened on tune edit (on 3 different computors) shows idle at 1200 rpm not 1350rpm.
Are you opening the 6103 from the tuneboy supplied files ? Ie not reading the current loaded map on the ecu direct.If you are reading the current map you may have to save and rename then open again and down....,ok upload.
Also if you look on the sensors window the idle ref (ie set idle to try and achieve) is shown as well as the actual revs being monitored.
Dino, I have been playing with tuneboy for a while so I may be able to help if you get a prob.Have fun !
colin.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Doesnt sound quite right really. I have only recently got my tuneboy as well and have found it to be excellent. The adjustments are easy and have the desired results.
Is it at all possible the software is not connecting to the ECU correctly. try loading a different tune or putting the fans at a really low setting. Disconnect it all, test it, then reconnect and see if has the new info still in the ECU.
I have found that the guys at Tuneboy are very helpful and will answer emails promptly, so you could check with them, good luck with it Steve.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Thank goodness for some positives for you Dino, after that negative rant!:mad:
I was waiting for you to ask for your money back:rolling:
I sure it will do just as it should:clap:

Cheers,
Ian

BTW - money back - no chance:rolling:

·
Cafe Racer member
676 Posts
I have found that the guys at Tuneboy are very helpful and will answer emails promptly, so you could check with them, good luck with it Steve.
Which planet are you from?:rolling:
Tune boy software is great but their support is horrendous. You will get better support from ColinTornado. :D

After a few of us having a rant Wayne finally got back to answering us. I had some more questions a few months later. Now many months later I am still waiting, for a reply.

·
Registered
319 Posts
ok, thank you. I did as you mentioned before. You are right. 1200 is default, even i think it sounds too high. But maybe it is just too high compared with my Duc. I remember I changed the idle speed before and the engine didn´t show any change. I will try again another time. Right now, it is raining and I don´t like to check. I uploaded Standard 6103 to my RS now.

Just one question: Is the fan settings also standard? Enclosed, you find a screenshot of it. I dunno if the fan settings are part of the map. So, I try to make it all standard again.

Thanks for your help

Dirk

·
1,841 Posts
Yes the fan setting you show is the standard map. I drop on and off by 10degrees,then the fan comes on quicker when stuck in slow traffic and still goes off all the time at normal speeds.
When the download button is pressed all of the program is loaded to the ecu.
When a new map is loaded I believe an adjustment by tuneboy to the idle trim or adaptive stepper is not reset.
I warm the engine ie go for a ride (as tuneboy has to be between 80 to 100 degrees to actually modifiy) then if not at 0 set stepper and idle back to 0. Then I load the new map. This leaves you to then adjust the idle trim if required and also the stepper (although if not at the correct 30-40 steps I would suggest the throttle valves are incorrectly set)
If you had the idle trim on say +10 then loaded a new map the idle trim would still be on + 10 (if I am remembering correctly ?)
Hope this makes sense,
colin.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Which planet are you from?:rolling:
Tune boy software is great but their support is horrendous. You will get better support from ColinTornado. :D

After a few of us having a rant Wayne finally got back to answering us. I had some more questions a few months later. Now many months later I am still waiting, for a reply.
Perhaps, Paul, if your emails were in any way as cheeky as this reply you might have got better service, I can only speak from my experience with them which was excellent and don't expect to get berated for that !
Perhaps if you didnt rant quite as much it might help !!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
864 Posts
Perhaps, Paul, if your emails were in any way as cheeky as this reply you might have got better service, I can only speak from my experience with them which was excellent and don't expect to get berated for that !
:soapbox: :spank:

·
1,841 Posts
Steve,my experience of advice from Wayne at tuneboy was initially good,but as Paul says he then does not give the answer to any further questions or even respond.:confused: The only facility I would love to have is the onboard datalogging,Wayne has told me it has to be programmed in to the maps,but several requests and reminders have resulted in no action. My engine runs very well so I have givern up,but I have gone to the bother of fitting a lc-1 02 controller that works with tune edit but just can not log in the tune edit program !
If Wayne is communicating with you give him a nudge on the Datalog ability.;)
colin.

·
Cafe Racer member
676 Posts
Sorry Steve was not trying to get at you.
Just that most people have had support problems from Wayne at tuneboy.
I was searching KTM 690SM forums for a friend that I recommend he use tuneboy, and came up with similar issues. Here is the link KTM690 there are others using it for their KTM's with a similar respone.
Another friend has a Triumph 1050 speed triple and I also recommended tuneboy to him. Went on aTriumph forum and they had similar gripes.

As I have posted before -the tuneboy software is great, once you get the hang of it and get support from fellow forum members.

Paul

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Recived key today from Emma at TuneBoy in Oz... so quite q quick turnaround (they checked with Ian as well to ensure I was trying to get a key for a second bike for free).

I really only want it to upload 6105 when have new can on... plus possibly for further dev if ever get it on a dyno.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Sorry Steve was not trying to get at you.
Just that most people have had support problems from Wayne at tuneboy.
I was searching KTM 690SM forums for a friend that I recommend he use tuneboy, and came up with similar issues. Here is the link KTM690 there are others using it for their KTM's with a similar respone.
Another friend has a Triumph 1050 speed triple and I also recommended tuneboy to him. Went on aTriumph forum and they had similar gripes.

As I have posted before -the tuneboy software is great, once you get the hang of it and get support from fellow forum members.

Paul
Paul, no worries mate, I too did not mean to be rude, just read the post wrong, thanks for the KTM link very interesting reading, perhaps time will tell and I too may suffer the same fate with Wayne, hope not. Any datalogging info I glean will be posted, regards Steve.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Anybody can help me with the Tuneboy?

I wanted to do a simple change: set the idle from 1400 to 1100.

So, I warmed up my bike and then connecting it to my PC. The screenshot is seen below. As you can see, the tps is set to zero and the idle is at 1380. Too much for me. I want that the idle is somewhere around 1100-1200. More than enough.

So, I uploaded the standard RS map (6103) again. No change. Changing the idle ref to 1100, uploading successful, no effect. Nothing that I do have an effect, although the PC is correctly connected to the ECU. I really checked and the upload of the maps is successful. (Ok, changing the fan speed is working, so this is a proof that it is correctly connected)

In my frustration, I hit the "idle fuel trim" buttons 2 times and i have the feeling that this had an effect. But I think this is not the right way. If I set it to 1100, it should work. I should not be forced to hit other buttons for having only the idle lowered. Unless I am wrong and changing the idle speed is rocket engineering:doh:

So, can anybody help me to change my idle speed? Are there some hidden functions? Or do I have to contact Tuneboy?

Thanks in advance
Dirk

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Dirk,
If you try going into tune edit, open the idle tab and set the idle speed relative to the temp reading there as you want it, then save that as your own custom tune, then upload it to the ECU that should then alter the idle speed, not as easy as just adjusting it on tuneboy, but probably more successful. I have not done this myself and obviously cannot accept any responsibilty if it all goes wrong. But I can say thats what I would do if I needed to sort mine, I was thinking of doing it to raise the cold start revs for the winter, thats assuming I ride it in the winter, now theres a dilemma indeed !!!
Good luck and let us know how you get on , Steve.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Hi Steve,

I forgot to say that I did the changes in tuneEdit of course.

Now, that I uploaded a map with setting the idle speed to 900, the engine revs with 1200. Something´s wrong with that.

·
1,841 Posts
Dirk, the reason your idle is high is most likely due to the throttles open too far,or the idle bypass screws open too far.(excess leakage)
Your screenshot shows the set idle at 1200rpm the actual idle at 1388rpm.
The fact that the stepper point is at only 23 shows that there is too much leakage (air passing to inlet with throttles shut) The ecu also uses the ignition advance to control set idle,your ignition is retarded from the set 1.9 degrees so this also seems to me to show excess leakage.
If you had less leakage by tighter shut throttles or bypass screws (remembering they must be kept balanced) you will find the stepper would be at 30-40 steps on idle and the idle of 1200 that it is set to would be maintained by the stepper.
Hope you see what I mean
colin.
ps. If you follow the manual instructions then you can alter the adaptive stepper setting to try and get the stepper to show as between 30-40 but I found that if this method is used the engine suffered flat spots and spit back. The idle trim also has an effect on the stepper position.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts