Benelli Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Benelli Wannabe !
6,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just an little tyre interest !

I don't for one profess to being a "lean over king" but even so I still strive to crank my bike over as much as my ability and the bike will allow, I was quite late into bike having passed my test when I was in my late twenties (and now in my late thirties :rolleyes:....... Ok B*llocks, mid forties (ish)! :rolling: ), Anyway I have found these new tryes allow me to crank over more than any other trye I have had, I have managed to get pretty much on the edge of the RH side but probably nearer 10mm off from the LH side, Angus:bow: tells me it's because the roads tend to camber to the left, which make sense, so here's my question............. As my confidence rises with the bike & trye, is it possible for me to be able to get nearer the edge on the LH side of the tyre ? I'm sure some of you Racing guys will be able to avise me on how to get the confidence to "Crank it Over" more on the LH side without me getting Too Confident ! :D

:clap:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Cafe Racer member
676 Posts
Open the throttle more when going around LH bends. Causes bike to go faster and hence the bends tighten up on you. :)
But more importantly ride within your comfort zone.
Riders that lean off and hang the knee will not get to the edge of the tyre, compared to a person that sits upright and leans over to go around the same bend at the same speed, due to the over all center of gravity.

Paul

·
TnT explosive tester
1,011 Posts
Sound advice from Mr Smith above

We all get sucked in by the need to please ourselves and our peers so please be careful

But it all comes with confidence in the bike and the road surface

Either take the bike on the track or choose a fast corner near you and practice till you get faster and faster which obviously will mean more lean angle

We also have a side we prefer to lean on, I hate right handers so the chicken strip is always wider on that side

It can also depend on the tyre choice as the shape of a tyre differs from 1 manufacturer to another

The bridgestones on my last bike had a less round profile than the metezlers I bought and I never got those fully scrubbed but the bridgestones were easy

·
Senior Post Whore
2,931 Posts
I reckon you crank the bike over more on the right hand side is because of the side of the road we drive on, Going into roundabouts means cranking it over to the right so leaning more on the right than the left becomes more second nature. Comfort zone also plays a big part too;)

Al:D

·
Registered
63 Posts
Youre right Dynamo, I love left handers and cant seem to get righthanders 'right', which given access to roundabouts, is a pain in the arse!

Only done 400 miles on my RS and still have a little less than inch of chicken strip to go.

·
Benelli Wannabe !
6,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Senior Post Whore
2,931 Posts
Just out of curiosity I wonder if it has anything to do with what side (or hand) is more dominant. For example I'm left handed but I prefer right hand bends:confused:

·
Benelli Wannabe !
6,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just out of curiosity I wonder if it has anything to do with what side (or hand) is more dominant. For example I'm left handed but I prefer right hand bends:confused:

I'm left handed too Al but I think Angus' idea of the roads cambering towards the gutter, persumably to allow water to drain quicker, may be the answer,

weird though I may be being left handed, some things I do better right handed ! :D

:ele:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
63 Posts
Oh my god, I am left handed too! Is it a Benelli thing.......?

My bias comes from being a kid and locking the back brake up whilst on the push bike, then bringing the back wheel around to the right, therefore making is 'seem' like a left hand bend. Does that make any sense? :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
417 Posts
You dont want to be on the very edge of the tyre IMO.... so I wouldnt worry about it...I would save it for the track! On my last bike I had taken off the blobs and managed to grind pegs as well... looking at tyres afterwards decided leaning bike way too much as very little rubber right on the edge and am now trying to lean off more and get body position better. That was on Diablo Stradas. Switched to CorsaIII and didnt get nearly so much edge wear.... partly due to the change in profile and partly due to modifying my riding position. I hasten to add I am still a novice at this track day thing.... but you should try it (if you havent already).

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I also prefer right hand bends to left handers, despite also being left-handed (Must be a Benelli thing;) ). I know that it stems from my early riding days, back in the swinging '60's, when tyres were rubbish, and falling off was fairly commonplace.:doh: I figured then that if you slid off on a right hand bend, that you ended up in the side of the road, whereas, if you slid off on a left-hander, you go straight into the path of oncoming traffic. Hence, every time I binned it way back then, it was always on a right-hand bend. See, I'm not as daft as I look...:confused:

Cheers:D

Ian

·
TnT explosive tester
1,011 Posts
Im right handed,I hate right hand bends and knockill has no real left hand bends where its really possible to get ur knee down

I do 1min 2 sec laps on my 98 zx6r but feel i would be faster going the other way

I have never got my knee down but maybe that has to do with my comfort zone in right handers but saying that there is no tyre left to get any further over

I did however have the tnt down to 10 mm strips in the first 50 miles as its so damn easy to lean on, i just hope i dont get too damn confident and reshape my tnt like I did my Sv1000:bawl:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts