Benelli Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a new upgraded starter motor (thanks Harry Nash), even though my bike is out of waranty, to fix the starting problems we all know about. It seems to spin freer and faster than the old one, but I have a question.

I used to be able to change the clock settings etc on the move by using the starter button - the bike seemed to know that the engine was running, and not spin the starter. Now, if I do so with the engine running, I get a high-pitched whirring. Is this normal? Is this ok, or do I need to only change the clock with the engine stopped and the kill switch on?

thanks in advance, I'm sure someone knows the answer.

·
I'm firing on three
611 Posts
There is a relay that stops the starter engaging when the engine is running if you think the starter is engaging when the engine is running there is a serious problem, get it checked out urgently. Also with the starter upgrade you should notice the engine turning over slightly slower (not faster) due to the gearing ratios.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Out of interess sake (and in case it happens to me!) Whats the details on the upgrade ? i.e. what does it fix and how ?

ciao
Derek

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
starter problem fixed

It's taken me a while coz I moved house. Guess what, it was my fault! I'd fitted a hydraulic clutch conversion, and couldn't find a mastercylinder with a switch, so I bypassed the clutch switch. On the old starter this seemed to make no difference, but with the starter upgrade it the starter spun even with the engine running. I've re-fitted standard parts and it's fine. I'll find the right mastercylinder and try again.

With the old starter, it always used to hesitate, and you wondered if it was going to spin at all. The new starter spins straight away, and I haven't had any problems yet. I'll deliberately try to reproduce the bad starting, and post if it happens, but so far so good.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts