Benelli Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had taken the old Tre up to KJM with a view to getting the Meta (Gemel) plugin alarm swapped but they told me it can't be done as the LE doesnt have the plug in the loom and its too big to put it anywhere. Now as I suspected I find out my insurance company wont cover me under my existing policy without it, so I have either got to get one fitted in the next 7 days or change policy. Annoying as I am 3 months from the end of the policy year and another years NCB :doh: ! Have any LE owners on here got an alarm fitted and if so what type? Secondly, for those who don't, who insures you? Quotes are coming out around £500 which also covers my Bandit (£450 xs). Can get it down about £100 by taking a more hefty excess. 33 yrs old, 6 yrs NCB. Not much different to what I paid last year for the Tre so would take me a while to recoup the cost of fitting an alarm probably!
Got to make a decision ASAP tho so any advice appreciated!

Cheers

Col

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Alarms can be a nightmare, when they go wrong. Last year, Russ showed me an ignition module in the tail of my Tre that can be removed to act as an immobiliser. Won't help your insurance, but would do the security-job for you, assuming that is the same.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I know what you mean Bob. I was wondering whether not having an alarm is playing any part in the lack of clock resets and other glitches on my LE vs the old bike. To be honest the only nelli dealer close to me is Streffords and I don't know anything about them so I am reticent to get one fitted there. As the other options involve a 200 mile round trip I am tempted to just change the insurance. Got it down to 364 quid on both bikes now which is cheaper than I was paying on the standard Tre so could be a no brainer. How often do you hear of an alarm preventing some scrote loading someones bike into a van anyway!

·
1,231 Posts
I do

Clifford alarm used my bike for a few shows to showcase a new alarm they installed. I'll try to get the model off of it but I don't remember seeing the model number on it. It also has a GPS tracking system on it/in it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Col,
I've just renewed my policy on my TRE, i know yours being a LE and with no alarm will be more expensive but, I'm 36 with 5 years ncb, fully comp with breakdown cover and protected no claims and it only came in at £150 all in, might be worth trying compare.com, fill in all your details and wait for the calls to come in, the cheapest online was £200, but when they contact you, just tell them you had a better price and they will try and beat it.
Hope this helps
Justin

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Col,
I've just renewed my policy on my TRE, i know yours being a LE and with no alarm will be more expensive but, I'm 36 with 5 years ncb, fully comp with breakdown cover and protected no claims and it only came in at £150 all in, might be worth trying compare.com, fill in all your details and wait for the calls to come in, the cheapest online was £200, but when they contact you, just tell them you had a better price and they will try and beat it.
Hope this helps
Justin
Wow that is cheap. Problem is the compare sites wont let u do a multi bike policy, so often find the cheapest underwriter wont do it when you call them and try and add the second bike. I used confused.com to get the cheapest then called the top 5. Who are you with? Whats the excess on that? Do you have an alarm?

Cheers

Edit - LOL - Comparethemarket.com "sale price" £868! Where do I sign up? :D

·
Registered
43 Posts
Col,
I have an alarm fitted and my excess is £200, insurer? no idea, but when i get home i will get the paperwork out and let you know mate. I did the compare site and within the nxt 2 days most of the companies rang me and bettered there online price.
Cheers

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
If ya don't like alarms fitted to your bike, fit a TRACKER instead. You get the same insurance discounts and it's fitted with only two wires. :)

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
If ya don't like alarms fitted to your bike, fit a TRACKER instead. You get the same insurance discounts and it's fitted with only two wires. :)
Ah I didnt know that! Shame about the subscription fee being a little steep. Got the insurance down to 341 now anyway so I am saving money overall now ;D

·
T900 TRE is the plate!
434 Posts
Alarm fitted

Colin

My LE has a Datatool System 3 fitted. http://www.datatool.co.uk/consumer/products/alarm/index.php
Been on it since 2004 with no problems.....well save one.

Jumped on bike and rode up to Taunton from Cornwall for a meeting. Usually keep IR key in pocket of jacket. Found out once I got to Taunton Deane services that I had left it in winter gloves and alarm protested all the way back on an AA truck. Little green meanie thought the 4th emergency service were theiving it and kept attracting everyones attention till we got home.

It is loud, quite sensitive and deffo CAT 1.

Try Footman James...I have the LE, TNT Titanium and an 850 Norton Commando on same policy all fully covered for £395.00 with a £400.00 excess.
Dave

1 - 11 of 11 Posts