Benelli Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was having a nose through yahoo answers and a question came up asking about the difference between a 500 and 600 bike.
The chappie was clearly American and I would like to know what our cousins across the pond perception of Average british rider standards were.
It appears that in the U.S you can jump on any size bike you like from the start of your riding life
In one of the answers these links were posted and I was just wondering whether or not you subscribe to the advice shown.
http://forums.sportrider.com/70/591801/new-riders/new-riders-please-read-this-updated/index.html
http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151947

Views stated on these seem abit eliteist to me, but contatin some sound advice.

Discuss :D

·
TnT explosive tester
1,011 Posts
I always steer peeps away from sportsbikes for the first year or two

Its all about confidence and sportsbikes just dont give you that. A year on sports tourer or street bike will make all the difference

Also some peeps are just not cut out for sportsbikes, Ive seen many move to a sportsbike and they just dont get to grips with them and go back to an upright bike

Theres good advice in both those posts, its a pity most buy with the heart not their head

Me im sportsbike mad but had to get something my wife could ride also but im loving the TnT but i keep looking at sportsbikes :bawl:

·
DAMN YANKEE - NH USA
65 Posts
I didn't read the whole thing...You know americans we are lazy... anyway, yes you can run out and buy any bike you like. You don't even have to have a license. Want a 190hp Honda CBR1000 no problem, just sign here.

One thing we do have and I recommend to everyone is take the safe driver motorcycle course. It is a weekend gig that by the end of, you have your MC license.

What I commonly see here is 50 yr old's who have never ridden, but just bought the biggest baddest harley they make.

I think a big help in riding is to ride a dirt bike for a while. It gives you a lot of real world experience on how a bike reacts in certain situations.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I concur

I agree with you about the dirt bike thing. I have done a few off road courses and it's really improved my road riding no end. I can fall off with much more style now :rolling:

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
off roadj

You may want to try here:
http://www.yamaha-offroad-experience.co.uk/
I go every chance I get when i can afford it. costs between £180 and £200 quid but it includes everything; bike, fuel, full protective kit, instruction from qualified instructors; even lunch is included.
scenery is amazing, trails and forest tracks as technical as you want, acents and decents you wouldn't believe you could get up/down. Very well run and caters for absolute novices to expert racers. Great value for a day out
P.s no, i don't work for them! :rolling: (wish i did though)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts