Benelli Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Valve adjustments

This ones important. The bikes service manual saids to do it every 6000 miles. I checked mine at 5600 miles and found two of the valves to be a little close (shims). Def get them checked its real important. Best case scenario you'll just loose power, worse case you'll burn a valve out, bend it or just pop ya engine.

Dean

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Valve adjustments

The owner's manual says that valve inspection should be done every 5000km(3000mi), but workshop manual says 6000km(3750mi)?
you said 6000mi?

·
Registered
53 Posts
New owner here. I was searching the site for just this information. I have a hard time believing the owners manuals 3,100 mile recommendation. Didn't think anything could be worse than a Kawasaki. After the initial 600 mile adjustment should I be good for 6,000 miles?

·
5,963 Posts
Jetboy, I've been tracking mine since the 10,000km mark, and they didn't change by more than 0.03mm in another 12,000km. Curiously, the gaps are increasing.
When I changed the cam chain at 25,000km, I measured each shim, and checked the clearances. 3 exhaust valves were at the top of the range.
At 30,000km, I'll check them again, and any outside the range will get new shims. A painful job, 'cos the cams have to come off to do it.
So I guess what I'm saying is, from my experience, checking every 10,000km is often enough.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Enginia, Thanks. That is exactly the kind of information I was looking for.

·
Super Moderator
7,779 Posts
Hi Kent,

I insisted that they checked mine when it when it in for its 6000km service and they were 'bang on' so I'de go with Engenia's recommendation if I was you.

PS Are you going to get some pics of those lovely bikes of yours into your Gallery?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Laurence, yes I'll get some pics up. this is a busy weekend. Picked up the TRE tonight and leaving at 4 AM fon the Norge or a HotDog run to LA with some of my crazy frineds. Then down to Tucson on the Bimota for an Italian bike picnic Sunday AM. Mid week I should be recovered.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts