Benelli Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,
I'm going to do my Nellie service soon and being the diligent chap I am, I checked the manual for all the jobs as listed just to be sure I get all the bits I need in plenty of time.

It was then that I noticed that the workshop manual doesn't mention wether the vale clearances are measured in a hot or cold state.

In my previous experiences, I would have always done them cold and then I got to thinking, how can a bikeshop do that when you ride in, leave it with them for a few hours and they sort it ????

Obviously its going to be critical, any advise please,
cheers Steve.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Play it safe fella....warm it up and leave it for an hour. By the time you got it stripped down enough it will be good enough. Remember thermal qualities of steel are tight enough to not matter that much below 100 c else you wouldn't be able to run an engine cold to hot without it being useless and wearing out in no time. if you want to go back to thermal dynamics like wot we did at college then use this table;

http://www.engineersedge.com/properties_of_metals.htm

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I alway thought it was done cold.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I alway thought it was done cold.
Likewise, tolerances can definitely vary when the motor is warm. Besides, manufacturers always quote their clearances on a cold engine.

·
Registered
642 Posts
yeah better get it right, according to Russ initial thoughts is mines dropped a valve (only 5700 miles) :doh: full autopsy next week

·
Mid Life Crisis
107 Posts
Cold.....left mine overnight with Russ before he checked the clearances...

·
Registered
574 Posts
3500 mile service - what should be done?

Sorry to highjack this thread ..

What should be done at a 3,500 mile service??? I heard that the valve clearances should be checked as part of this...

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
Nigel, Benelli originally advised the valves should be checked/adjusted at 3.5k but they then pushed this out to 6K. I specifically asked to have mine checked on one of my previous Tornados at 3.5k and they were bang on. If you have no reason to be doubting them, I'd be leaving it until the next big service.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheers for sound advice guys, I reckon I'll go for cold if thats how Russ does em, must be right and SeanW, obviously knows his stuff as well, that link was mind bogglingly good !!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts