Benelli Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone out there checked their own valve clearances? I have done about 4000 miles since they were checked (current mileage 4600) and I am getting clearances that seem to all be in spec. I am surprized by this. Any thoughts?

Dean

·
Registered
70 Posts
Not checked the ones on my Benelli yet, but i'm not surprised as i've had jap bikes that still haven't needed adjustment at 50,000 miles.

·
5,929 Posts
Mine have been fairly close to spec. since new, but I found the gaps increasing. Normally they go the other way.

Turns out, the shims are a little too soft. The valve stems had hammered an indent into each shim! Not seen this before, and it stuffed up my calcs for new shims. Had to make a couple of orders before I could get it right.

Did it for the first time at 30,000 km.

·
150 Posts
Mine have been fairly close to spec. since new, but I found the gaps increasing. Normally they go the other way.

Turns out, the shims are a little too soft. The valve stems had hammered an indent into each shim! Not seen this before, and it stuffed up my calcs for new shims. Had to make a couple of orders before I could get it right.

Did it for the first time at 30,000 km.
Checked at 12000 km and 18000 km. and I found the gaps increasing too like Engenia.

W: Pekka

·
150 Posts
shims

Cam chain and valve adjustment currently in work. The new chain and fixed chain guide is different than my old. Hope they are better. It seem true that shimms are too soft (have indent as Engenia wrote) so the gap has increased.

What kind (from where) of shims you have used? I need to change them all.

·
5,929 Posts
...It seem true that shims are too soft (have indent as Engenia wrote) so the gap has increased.
What kind (from where) of shims you have used? I need to change them all.
email Chris at Precision Shims Aust. He's very good. Will even match up an unusual size. Normally they're in increments of 0.05mm, but he's sent me a specific size in the past.
The diameters are 7.9mm (0.1mm under standard), but that's not a problem.

Why are you changing the fixed (front) guide? It's only the moving (rear) guide that needs changing.
cheers
Errol

·
150 Posts
email Chris at Precision Shims Aust. He's very good. Will even match up an unusual size. Normally they're in increments of 0.05mm, but he's sent me a specific size in the past.
The diameters are 7.9mm (0.1mm under standard), but that's not a problem.

Why are you changing the fixed (front) guide? It's only the moving (rear) guide that needs changing.
cheers
Errol
First, sorry my bad english.
Ordering from Australia (opposite side of the world than finnland) sounds little bit stubid to me. :rolling:

It's winter now here in Finland, so I have plenty of time to make service to my Nelli. I did made early in summer an order to all parts what I think to need to this service, and just to be sure, I order parts that I MAY NEED. Why, even the parts can be have quick :rolling: I just want to be sure, that I have everything I JUST MAY NEED. Stubid because Benelli is quick and reliable for parts :D

I got some of the parts I need, rest will come later (if at all), I even got something rirght. I still have 4 months time to wait before season starts here in F***ing cold Finland. Maybe ....... Nelli runs again when its summer again.

I'm not very old senior member yet :rolling: but at age 47 I have had many kind of bikes since 73. The Nelli is the first one that I love and heat at same time. I will newer sell it out. Just trying live with it (as with my fife). And I love to ride this Italian babe.

BTW. I got new cam schain tensioner spring too. Old was 54 mm lenght, the new is 75 mm lenght. What I'm doing with it ?
Does anyone in Benelli knows what they are doing :rolling:

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
Just trying live with it (as with my fife). And I love to ride this Italian babe.
Way too much information FiBlues!!!! :rolling:

·
150 Posts
Unless it's the only place to get shims hard enough to do the job?
cheers
Errol
I will contact to him if I can't find shimms from Finland.
Not sure, but I think Kawasaki has same size than Nelli. Have to check this out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts