Benelli Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Pah! Save yourself some money and put Ubuntu linux on with Compiz Fusion and get all the same stuff and more for free :clap:

Sadly I am forced into using Vista for my media centre, but have only just built one based on Vista as general rule of thumb is windows versions are only usable and secure when the next version is about to come out lol

<Retreats to his Geek shelter>

·
Registered
209 Posts
I remember using windows 3.1 when got my first PC. But I soon after saw OS/2 and quickly jumped ship. IT wasn't hard to see how far ahead of Windows it was. Stayed on that until IBM lost the OS war (or more to the point simply never turned up), whence I then moved over to Linux. Finally a year ago I jumped ship again to Mac. Of course working in the IT industry I've used just about every flavour of Windows from 3.1 to XP, haven't found a single one that can keep up with the competition. Have avoided Vista as I've not read a single thing or seen a single feature that I would consider positive. I advise people to avoid it like a plague.

So Windowz 7. Really it's almost laughable. Being delivered when? And with what? a bunch of stuff others have already done better.

I finally went to Apple because I had seen an increasing number of very smart people using them and I've been nothing but impressed since. Apple release OS updates several times a year instead of several times a decade. By the time MS get Windows 7 out and it actually becomes useful, Apple and Linux will be even more years ahead.

MS is old news. They are now what IBM was 20 years ago.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Vista is dead

Drekka

our paths must have crossed somewhere, your comment re work history is the same as mine, used to Melbourne based until Jan 08

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I remember using windows 3.1 when got my first PC. But I soon after saw OS/2 and quickly jumped ship. It wasn't hard to see how far ahead of Windows it was..
I agree I used OS/2 Warp 4.0 it was an excellent product it reminded me of Linux in some ways but to think Microsoft co developed OS/2 with IBM until Windows 3.0 sales took off....I think it would have been a better tech progression than the Windows/Fat path Microsoft chose to follow.Just think how good a Warp 8 would have been today stable secure etc:doh:

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Yep I agree. Apple arent squeaky clean though - they are getting as bad as MS in some ways in terms of anti-competitive behaviour. I can forgive them easier though as their products are sooo pretty :rolling:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Agree. I'm not happy they are not allowing competing broswers into the app store.

But generally speaking, when I think about Windowz, OS/2, Linux and Mac. Nothing is perfect, but the one thing about Mac that has made it so compelling (apart from the eye candy) is that when compared to the others, it really does just work.

ciao
Derek

·
Registered
123 Posts
Just saw a nws item on a tech site the other day where a beta tester of the "new" Windows 7 did a comparison with Vista and guess what ! It was exactly the same in terms of performance. In fact, it even had the same processes with the same number of threads, etc.

So there you go, Windows 7 = Vista with a new set of bling and the same dodgy engine underneath.
Indeed. Meet the new Windows, same as the old Windows. A while ago it was stated and confirmed in many online sources that the mini core project has been dumped and the core of the forthcoming Windows 7 is the same old Windows Vista core, with some new eye candy and some mouse gestures. It'll still be the same bloated, unstable system, it'll still have the infamous Windows registry, it'll still have the dll hell and so on.

So don't get too worked up yet, think about your own health, and get a Mac. Or in case you cannot force yourself to buy new hardware, try Ubuntu Linux 7.10 instead. It's still missing some little details working better in OS X and WinXP/Vista, but it's already good enough for replacing Windows.

BTW Drekka and other semi-geeks in here, it's funny to realize how similar our paths can be at times. Sometimes it can even extend to our previous and/or current bike choices.
My first personal computer was actually a Mac back in the end of the merry 80's and now I'm using OS X, but I had a PC, too in the 90's, at least when at work. I, too have experience with Win3.11, OS/2 Warp 3 and 4, and even with BeOS at one time, along with the various flavours of the Redmond OS, usually work related use.
Hmm... having said all that, suppose I also revealed my age. :p
I don't think the younger ones over here have even seen let alone experienced the horrors of the Windows 3.11 desktop.

·
Benelli Wannabe !
6,865 Posts
I am looking at getting a Netbook to replace an old dated laptop that is only used to surf the net, facebook, fourms, ebay etc, mainly that my girls use,

I am only going to purchase a cheap one, now't special but notice they have either Windows XP or Windows 7. so having remembered this thread and still unsure, any advice on what would be the better option ?

I've seen a Samsung one with built in Bluetooth that appeals (so the girls can upload their partying pictures onto facebook easily ! ;) ) for around £260,

But it's the Xp or 7 that I'm not sure of ?

Anyone explain the best option please ? :confused:

:D

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Hi Rob the version of windows on the netbooks is very restrictive for the same money you can pick up a laptop with a choice of of vista with free upgrade options for w7 .I paid 269 for a compaq pesario at xmas with w7 all very nice with a 260 hard drive and loads of crap i will never use lol .LOOK around m8 .

·
Benelli Wannabe !
6,865 Posts
Cheers for that ferret, the reason I'm looking at a Netbook rather than a Laptop though is because of how small and compact a Netbook is as it's used in the living room whereas the main desktop PC we have is kept in the spare bedroom ala PC Room ! :D

So I only want something lightweight and handy,

Just to use it for Facebook, ebay, fourms etc, will I really need a lot of memory just for that ? :confused:

:)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Hi Rob i would suggest you go and try a netbook out first ,yes there great for surfing if thats all you want to do but most dont even have a dvd drive .If they were 150 notes a throw then yes that would be ok imho .There are however some units on fleebay new very cheap purely surfing items .I did look at one before i picked up my new laptop and the samsung item was the best specked .

·
Registered
444 Posts
I am looking at getting a Netbook to replace an old dated laptop that is only used to surf the net, facebook, fourms, ebay etc, mainly that my girls use,

I am only going to purchase a cheap one, now't special but notice they have either Windows XP or Windows 7. so having remembered this thread and still unsure, any advice on what would be the better option ?

I've seen a Samsung one with built in Bluetooth that appeals (so the girls can upload their partying pictures onto facebook easily ! ;) ) for around £260,

But it's the Xp or 7 that I'm not sure of ?

Anyone explain the best option please ? :confused:

:D
Just make sure it can handle Flash. Some of the really cheap ones can't (If its running xp you'll be fine.
decent value netbook in pc world at the mo is the samsung NC10. Decent product, good price.
xp uses less space and is the better option for a net in my opinon

·
Benellissimo
682 Posts
I'm with Ferret on this. I'd seriously forget the netbook. Waste of money from what I've seen. try e-buyer or Pixmania. You'll be gobsmacked what you can get for how little.

·
ENGLAND FOREVER
1,565 Posts
Sod all the Computer stuff.....Welcome back from the Wilderness MR SUSSEX TRE. I thought I had lost my Wing Man. :hiya: :hero: :jig: :bluesbros:

·
Benelli Wannabe !
6,865 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts