Benelli Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently was lucky enough to acquire a 'new' 03Benelli Tornado Tre 900. When i say 'new' its new in the sense that im her first owner; she had been sitting on the floor of a motorcycle dealership for the past few years. unfortunately for them having such an expensive item just sitting there eventually caught up with them and it was reposed by the finance company. Cue Simon.. After hearing about this i made the finance company an "offer they couldn't refuse" (in my best Pacino voice).
Im proud to say that im no the owner of my childhood fantasy bike!
First thing i did was get the company that is responsible for warranty repairs here in South Australia to do a full safety check etc, and $180AUD~ later i got the thumbs up.

After doing some pretty sissy riding for the past few hundred km (still wearing engine in) i noticed 2 days ago that the front brake lever had become really spongy and didnt think anything of it; i had to pull it a far bit further in to bite now; but given i didnt have anything to compare it to (never had Brembo brakes before) i didnt think much off it.
This afternoon whilst riding in the hills i pushed into a corner a little to hard and required more than engine braking to slow me down; i pulled onto the lever.... NOTHING... scared to high hell i droped her down into second..then first... (thank you slipper clutch!), leaned like hell and rolled her to a halt.

The closet bike store (also the best) was Garage Motorcycles at Strathalbyn not to far away i decided to chance it with no front brakes (had no other option) so taking it VERY easy i made it there in one piece. The conclusion 'an O ring in the braking pump' (or there abouts) was swollen and now useless (im not mechanically minded maybe something to do with it sitting still for so long in the shop) and without wanting to void any warranty that i might have i told them to leave it; and i would contact Stony Creek Importers on Monday.

SO now down to the Question
1. My bike was not TECHNICALLY dealer delivered so does the warranty still apply? Given its never been registered before; and is in effect NEW and im the first owner.

2. What should i do about my apparent safety check, should they have picked up that the O ring was screwed and apparently was quite obvious by looking at the brake fluid level move around when the brake was pulled in. Its not the $180AUD im mad about; more the safety issue.

3. What are Benelli like to deal with these days since they sold out to Qianjiang?

4. Given im riding a $24-$30kAUD bike i would that im not treated like a 3rd rate Yamaha customer. Thoughts?

·
1,228 Posts
Dicotomy

First and foremost, welcome to the exclusive owners club of one of the most exotic bikes in the world. You will find that the lot we have here are a great bunch of guys and a few have some incredible technical experience. Having said that, in my humble opinion, I would say clean out your drawers and count your blessings. You didn't bin it. I would pay the few dollars and say lesson learned. I would further ask them to go through the brake system and replace any and all O-rings just so another doesn't give from age hardening at another most inoportune time. I don't know what the going rate for mechanic work is but the only way you could have a full safety inspection would be for them to do a 100% tear down and rebuild of the bike replacing any and all seals. That would cost a bloody fortuneand it does not guaruntee that all the new seals would hold. Think of it this way, the smile across your face when you ride isn't worth the hassle of delaying spending the few dollars it costs to replace that O-ring. Replace it then take the old one to the dealer when you get the chance. Other than that, ride you butt off and keep it rubber side down and smiling side up!:D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If its just a matter of replacing the O rings then its ok i guess. One of the opinions that was floating around was that its quite hard to get the seals by themselves as there is so legal issue with replacing parts of brakes as aposed to the whole thing.
If its possible to just replace the seals.. i guess thats a good thing. I really do love the bike; but as far as cleaning my draws go im gonna need some serious bleach, Brakes are one of those things you take for granted.. until there not there!

What is your thoughts about Benelli warranty? or more my warranty situation?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Useless O Rings

The issue is that when the brakes are pulled there is no pressure; brake fluid appears to be being pushed past the O rings. But where... which one?

·
3,082 Posts
warranty applies

It does on my RS and I bought it after the original importers went belly up, the warranty is a factory item regardless of dealer, It sounds like a dodgy o-ring, and any o-ring supply company should be able to match one up for bugger all cost, if Benelli OZ dont have one on the the shelf, Benelli OZ have the spares a LOT better sorted than it once was. Welcome to the Club and Visit Errols web page for all possible Tornado issue's, the main thing is to ENSURE you have the upgraded clutch basket, and get the alloy clutch actuator arm replaced with the steel stamped one if it hasnt been done, check you VIN against the list on Errols site to see if your 03 hasnt been done, ALL 03's need a replacement clutch gear replaced, and have the latest map fitted a "6033" with the stock exhaust, or a "6034" if you have the factory race can fitted,

·
Super Moderator
7,770 Posts
Yip, that Paul Nobbs from Stoney Creek is not a bad lad.

Met him last year at a Benelli bash at Misano. If you catch up with, him give him my best regards.

Cheers.

·
5,898 Posts
http://www.mso.anu.edu.au/~ekowald/

:bow:
Worth a look every now and then. I keep adding stuff. I'm about to put another solution to the Dash reset problem. This one seems to work really well. I flattened the battery trying to start it last Sunday, and the dash didn't reset.
:bow:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts