Benelli Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know how or where I can find a replacement water pump for the tornado? Preferably a new one. Mine was leaking coolant so had the seal kit replaced (worked for 2 days but problem is back). :doh:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

·
Registered
131 Posts
My mates Trek did that, it leaked from the little hole in the pump. Had the seals replaced but it leaked again. They replaced the shaft and seals and it was good. It did however take a little while for the bits to come :( it looked like the seal had been fitted incorrectly at the factory and had ever so slightly worn the shaft.

·
5,934 Posts
Not as silly as it sounds, Laurence. You CAN get 12V automotive water pumps. It could get you back on the road!

Alternatively, if it's the shaft that's worn (by the seal), you could remove the spiral spring from a new seal, and refit it tighter, to decrease the ID. That little trick's worked wonders in the past.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm.... that's sounds like an interesting alternative to replacing the whole water pump. I'm pretty sure that the shaft is the culprit as the seal around the spring was in pretty bad shape when it was replaced & the shaft needed a good clean. What do mean by decreasing the ID? and do I refit it tighter?

Cheers Errol.

·
5,934 Posts
Hmmm.... that's sounds like an interesting alternative to replacing the whole water pump. I'm pretty sure that the shaft is the culprit as the seal around the spring was in pretty bad shape when it was replaced & the shaft needed a good clean. What do mean by decreasing the ID? and do I refit it tighter?
Cheers Errol.
Most seals are made like that shown below. If the seal in the water pump is the same (I can't remember if it is or not), it'll have a extension spring, circled, & wound into it's tail. The head will be slightly tapered to make this possible. It's this spring that keeps the seal firmly in place over the shaft it's sealing.
If you unwind the head from it's tail (take note of the number of turns!), and cut 2 or 3 coils off the tail, & rewind the head back into place, you will have decreased the seal ID, once the spring is put back into place.
If it's still not tight enough, when it is sitting in the worn groove in the shaft, remove another coil or 2. It needs to be snug, but not tight.
For this to work, the shaft must be polished smooth, like it was originally, of it will destroy the seal in short order.
Greasing the seal & shaft will help as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts